Archive for Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Kansas bishops to discuss immigration

November 9, 2011

— A coalition of Roman Catholic and Protestant bishops in Kansas is joining the public discussion on illegal immigration.

The six bishops say they're offering a faith-based perspective on how the nation balances the desire for secure borders with the right of individuals to emigrate from their homelands.

More details of the coalition's position are expected to be discussed at a Statehouse news conference Wednesday. Kansas Area United Methodist Bishop Scott Jones and Archbishop Joseph Naumann of the Diocese of Kansas City in Kansas are scheduled to speak.

The bishops are calling for the federal government to adopt comprehensive immigration reforms and for voters to advocate for humane treatment of immigrants already in the country.

Comments

atiopatioo 2 years, 5 months ago

I can hardly wait for the hispanics to do to this country what they've done for Mexico.

deathpenaltyliberal 2 years, 5 months ago

The Catholic Church needs to butt out of the immigration debate, just like they need to butt out of the abortion issue.

Churches and government shouldn't mix. Can I get an amen?

Jayhawk1958 2 years, 5 months ago

This is nothing more then religious motives. Someone like 90% of the south and central Americas are catholic. And they don't believe in birth control so we are stuck having to pay for all of their kids as well. When does it stop? And because they have so many kids, the amount of taxes they pay doesn't even come close to covering each kid.

kawrivercrow 2 years, 5 months ago

I would ask them the following:

1. What laws do I, as a citizen of the USA, have the right to thumb my nose at.

2. If I break a law, such as fraud, and give the ill-gotten profits to my children, can they keep the money and can I get amnesty?

3. If we continue to rub feces in the faces of legal immigrants by letting illegal aliens jump to the front of the line, how long will the legal immigrants continue to passively stand by, awaiting their turn?

Given the catholic church's longstanding participation in institutional child-rape, and the minimal consequences they have suffered despite such horrific actions, I wonder if the only lesson they have learned is that the law is only for non-church members to follow.

someguy 2 years, 5 months ago

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free." Well, as long as they have filled out the correct forms.

consumer1 2 years, 5 months ago

right of individuals to emigrate from their homelands??? The world has a "Right" to immigrate to America? Okay as long as they do it legally! Too many people are trying to set a precedent that it is okay to break the laws to get into this country. Guess what it is not!! We are a law abiding country. Everyone who lives here is REQUIRED to live within the law. Even perverted priest! Why do they feel qualified to have a discussion on this, when they cannont control their own "flock"??

toe 2 years, 5 months ago

I hope legal immigration is discussed.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 5 months ago

Everybody in the world does not have a right to live in America, especially when they break our laws to get here.