Lawrence and Douglas County

Lawrence and Douglas county

2 teens still in critical condition after accident

November 8, 2011

Two area teenagers remain in critical condition after an early Sunday morning accident at the intersection of 19th and Iowa streets.

About 2:10 a.m. Sunday, Michael Robinson Jr., 17, of Lawrence, was driving a 1997 Acura west on 19th Street and attempted to turn left onto Iowa Street. The vehicle turned in front of a 2001 Chevrolet Tahoe headed north on Iowa Street, according to Lawrence police reports.

Robert Spielman, 30, of Oskaloosa, was driving the Tahoe, which had four passengers. Robinson’s vehicle had three passengers.

Robinson was transported by ambulance to a Kansas City area hospital. He was in critical, but stable condition on Monday, according to police reports.

One of Robinson’s passengers, John Teters Jr., 18, of Perry, was taken by air ambulance to a Kansas City-area hospital. He also was listed in critical, but stable condition.

A passenger in Spielman’s vehicle, Casey Kathrens, 27, of Olathe, was transported by ambulance to Lawrence Memorial Hospital with non-life threatening injuries. She was treated and released.

No citations have been issued. Police continue to investigate the crash.

Comments

Machala04 2 years, 5 months ago

Wow, I love how all the people placing blame on here, have never made a mistake and are perfect. I really wish all of us could be just like you. I'm glad you are all tucked into your beds at 8:30pm, since everyone knows there is absolutely no reason to be outside after dark. Accidents happen, even my 7 year old daughter knows accidents happen. If a drink is spilt, she doesn't say, "well so and so left it too close to the edge of the counter", she offers help. If she's mature enough to get over the accident and worry about those involved, you should be too.

LadyJ 2 years, 5 months ago

And don't you hate it when the car behind you gets right on your bumper at that intersection, not accounting for the fact your car might roll back just a bit when you go?

broddie 2 years, 5 months ago

I wasn't there, but I'm pretty sure what happened is that the WB Acura misjudged the speed of the Northbound Tahoe. They thought they could make it. I turn left/right on that intersection all the time. Even sober, it's tricky, and I've had many a horn honk at me from behind because they thought I should go for it when I knew that I wouldn't make it or I would be cutting it too close for comfort. If you drive a stick, then you also have gravity against you because of the hill. Although it's obvious that the Acura was at fault, the investigation also needs to take a look at the speed of the northbound Tahoe. They might have been going too fast. Folks, when in doubt, don't go out into that intersection. Wait until it's clear. Better to piss off the impatient driver behind you than to end up in intensive care.

familyofinjured 2 years, 5 months ago

Okay devobrun maybe you have an opinon and that is fine but maybe you should keep it to yourself. Regardless of what those boys were doing out at 2:10 in the morning no family deserves to go through what our families are going through. I do not know if you have kids or not but if you do I am sure that they are not completly innocent. Maybe you need to rethink some of the cruel things you posted and realize what we are going through. I can say that if it was your family or your kids you wouldnt appreciate somebody saying stuff like that.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 5 months ago

I remember quite a few times that it was a terrific accident that I didn't wreck.

Northsideprincess 2 years, 5 months ago

Both boys were good friends of mine and i was haging out with both of them the night of the accident. They happend to be on their way to where me and my gurl were at when the accident happend.. They were only a few blocks from us when the tahoe hit them. I dont know exactly how it happened but i do know that it was not either boys parents fault. Every teenager goes out and hangs out with friends esspecialy on a Saturday night. This isnt the time to point fingers. Its the time to pray for both boys who r both in very serious condition. I love u both and Ur soilder, yall aint givin up this easily. <3 hrs

gatekeeper 2 years, 5 months ago

What was a 17 year old doing out at 2:10 in the morning? Bad parenting at it's finest. There's a reason KIDS shouldn't be out late.

hawkergirl 2 years, 5 months ago

Nothing good happens after midnight!

Pywacket 2 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for posting an update. Sounds like maybe everybody will make it, thank goodness! Every parent's nightmare, when you've got teens riding around together. Hope these patients are completely out of the woods soon and heading for total recovery.

Always incredulous when this sort of accident happens at a light. With a delay built in between E/W turning red and N/S turning green, this simply should not happen, but we'll never eliminate human error.

Knowing how many people race to beat a light, only to wind up running it a couple seconds after it has turned red, I never go on green without looking both ways first, but I see others floor it the second the light turns. We all need to drive more defensively.

I hope the police will be able to sort out what happened in this instance. Somebody must have run the light unless there was an equipment malfunction--a possibility we also need to anticipate before we hit the gas pedal.