Archive for Sunday, November 6, 2011

Men who live in structures attached to vehicles relish freedom, not paying rent

Michael Tanner talks about how he got the nickname "Mayor Mike" and also about his new home, a shack built on a trailer that he pulls from his van.

November 6, 2011

Michael Tanner plays guitar from the floor of a one-room shack built on a trailer, which he lives and sleeps in that is attached to his van. Tanner says he was given the nickname “Mayor Mike” by members of the Lawrence homeless community for his efforts in building a “village” for homeless people near the river in east Lawrence in 2008 that was eventually bulldozed by the city.

Michael Tanner, 52, has spent years trying to live rent-free in Lawrence, and he seems to have finally found the answer.

Tanner lives in a 16-by-8-foot wooden structure — built on a trailer attached to a van — that he moves around the downtown area just often enough to avoid violating any city parking ordinances.

Inside the structure, which he simply calls a “shack,” Tanner shows off his shelving, collection of guitars and sleeping area.

“I feel a great sense of accomplishment,” said Tanner about his craftsmanship. “It’s a good, solid structure.”

Tanner said he likes being self-reliant, and since being evicted from an apartment in 2007, has eschewed homeless shelters. After being kicked out of a wooded area along the Kansas River by city crews in 2008, Tanner, who was violating the city’s illegal camping ordinance with several others, started working on his most recent project.

“I’m free,” he said. “It’s my home.”

And at least one other person, Tom Wiles, a 65-year-old retiree, lives in a similar structure. Wiles made his 11-by-7-foot mobile home, which is also a wooden structure pulled by his van. Wiles said he’s on his third such home; his first was washed away in a flood in Iowa in 2010.

While Tanner seems to relish the freedom his mobile home gives him, Wiles’ reasons focus more on money.

Wiles said he always wanted to build his own home on property in the country. The problem? He couldn’t afford it.

“This is a lot cheaper,” said Wiles, a veteran who subsists on a monthly disability payment.

They’ve both figured out ways to legally park their mobile homes downtown.

“I spend a lot of time at City Hall,” said Tanner of reading zoning maps and city codes.

In nonresidentially zoned areas of Lawrence, such as a strip of parking on Massachusetts Street in front of South Park, people are allowed to park large vehicles — defined as a vehicle more than 20 feet long and 8 feet tall — for 48 hours at a time. Tanner parks somewhere for a day, then moves to another spot in a nonresidential area. Wiles, meanwhile, pays the meters during the day, then finds a friendly parking lot or open street at night.

City officials have had discussions about the vehicles, said Chad Sublet, city of Lawrence attorney. But neither Tanner nor Wiles is breaking any law, Sublet said. And there haven’t been any reported problems.

“We don’t have citizens calling complaining about this,” Sublet said.

For now, the trailer is Tanner’s home, and he scoffs at people who call him homeless.

“I’m offended when the court addresses me as transient,” said Tanner, a street musician, who on a recent weekday was at the Douglas County Courthouse fighting a noise complaint.

Wiles and Tanner both said they’ve found ways to get by without modern amenities, such as running water. They use city facilities to take showers, and eat meals at area social service agencies. Wiles uses an electric blanket to keep warm at night; Tanner, a propane tank.

Tanner, however, acknowledges the drawbacks of not having a traditional home or apartment.

There’s the heat in the summer, which can get suffocating without windows, and the constant maintenance of the structure, which gets more difficult as he gets older, Tanner said.

As he shows off his guitar collection, all gleaned from trash bins across Lawrence, vehicles whiz by the structure, causing it to sway back and forth. That never ends, he said, but he’s used to it.

“It kind of rocks me to sleep,” he said.

Comments

ignatius_j_reilly 3 years, 1 month ago

Thanks for this story. Great find, great reporting, no bias toward making them look crazy and dirty, nor normal and routine.

My personal feelings on this story is that it's great to see a couple of guys who refuse to freeload on others, who just want to live and be left alone, and are successfully doing so. People will complain the guy is collecting disability, but (a) he sounds like he truly might not be able to work and (b) it's a hell of a lot cheaper to the taxpayer than having him in a homeless shelter, stealing stuff, or taking unpaid trips to the hospital. I'm sure this story will generate some negative comments about how they ought to be taken off the street, but these guys seem like more careful and trustworthy citizens than most folks I know. Most people don't go to city hall to check zoning before they do something. I just hope their lifestyle doesn't lead to early injury or poor health.

Fatty_McButterpants 3 years, 1 month ago

Of course, no one would consider getting his meals at the shelter or taking showers at other such facilities to be freeloading.

Fred Mertz 3 years, 1 month ago

I really don't have a problem with the guys in the story but I do not agree with your assessment of their situation. No way to know for sure if they can work or not so I'll leave that comment alone, but how is it cheaper to the taxpayer by not having him in a homeless shelter? Are government tax dollars used to run homeless shelters? Maybe they are, but I am not aware of it being that way.

What about him living in a box on a trailer will keep him from taking unpaid trips to the hospital? Does living in a trailer somehow come with health insurance?

If this is the lifestyle they want I don't think government should go out of their way to stop them as long as they are not breaking any laws. But, let's be honest, they are reloading on society. Unless they are paying taxes then they are getting a free ride at taxpayer expense.

Is what they take enough to worry about? Nah, not in the least, but again, we just need to be honest in our assessment of their lifestyle.

Fred Mertz 3 years, 1 month ago

It is important to not only read, but comprehend what one writes when responding. I was not commenting on the lack of health insurance and visits to the ER by the guy living in the trailer, but the poster's comment that somehow his lifestyle choice will keep him from making unpaid trips to the hospital. Perhaps you'd like to explain how what the poster wrote is true?

And, I didn't say they shouldn't use the road did I?

Themotorcity 3 years, 1 month ago

check it out Have worked hard all my life and up to last year I had a beautiful home in the hills of California. Last year I was laid off from my job, Because IDIOTS bought Toyotas insted of supporting American workers by buying American made products. So after being laid off I lost my home! I now live in my RV! All of the toyotas and hondas sitting in driveways have Ruined this country. I am back to work now but have to live paycheck to paycheck just to survive! Do you think living in an RV is free? Propane to heat the rv and run the hot water heater and to cook or run the generator to make electricity, 3.50 a gallon! average 55 dollars per week. Diesel to move the rv around, 3.40 per gallon, Average 90 dollars per week. Fresh water 40 gallon holding tank and dumping fees 30 gallon black water tank and 30 gallon grey water tank, Average per week. 30 dollars. Insurance, Cell,Internet Yada Yada Yada.

Yep with this economy I took a ride from the top of the hill EXPRESS to the bottom!

I consider my self fourtunate My Tuck is an 05 Dodge With the Cummins Diesel.
My Camper is an 05.

Most are less fourtunate and have to build there own rv such as this guy, Can he work? who kno's, But just like me he has expenses and with tho's expenses come state and federal taxes on tho's expenses.

Dont judge what's on the other side of the fence un-till you have actualy been on it!

Trust me from a guy who took an express elevator strate to the bottom, It truely is hard to wrap your head around.

What about health care? How can the guy afford heath ins? SSI or what ever this guy is getting is probably barely enough to just get by on! I work and barely get buy, I have health care but now am being forced to pay more for it. A lot more. so rather than give up my health care I will give up my internet. So as not to be a burden on our society!

So you tell me how is a guy like him supossed to get up the cash to get into an apartment or some sort of rental unit? How could he possibly if I work and I cant?

Like I said the grass is always greener on the other side!

l

Rae Hudspeth 3 years, 1 month ago

Yes, let's be completely honest, shall we?

A disabled veteran living on a small disability check is probably able to get free healthcare at the VA. A veteran has already paid his dues to your free society, and is deserving of the pittance doled out to him.

His service bought your right to speak your mind in this country.

dakomish 3 years, 1 month ago

Well Wiles is receiving his disability checks, so it's already been proven he can't work.

shadowlady 3 years, 1 month ago

you betcha, things are just getting to high. No one can afford this high rent, high grocerys, high everything

50YearResident 3 years, 1 month ago

Wow, he sure is lucky to find 4 nice guitars, all in trash bins. I'm going to stasrt looking there too. How happy can you be, a government check and free meals at the local homeless centers. Life couldn't get any better.

geekin_topekan 3 years, 1 month ago

"Wow, he sure is lucky to find 4 nice guitars, all in trash bins. I'm going to stasrt looking there too." ++ You'd be amazed at what people throw away if you look. I have found furniture, record albums, whole stereo systems, TVs, canned goods galore and a years worth of laundry detergent.

"How happy can you be, a government check and free meals at the local homeless centers." ++ Where in the article or video does it mention gubment funding? Another baseless, random comment made with no facts attached beyond your wild (and eerie) imagination. I assume that you are a major contributor to LINK and other social service organizations which is what gives you the right to comment on their clients and their services. Maybe you should do something for your community so we can judge your efforts too.

"Life couldn't get any better." ** Yep, that's why so many call Lville "home", er, why are you here?

cozborn 3 years, 1 month ago

10th "paragraph"

another baseless, random comment made without actually reading the article........

geekin_topekan 3 years, 1 month ago

Boy, do I feel sheepish..You ba-a-a-ad boy_Genie from Alladin

Why should people like 50 yr. support those who fight and die for his freedom?

Linda Endicott 3 years, 1 month ago

That was only one of the guys mentioned; the other one is referred to as a street musician... The one man receiving disability is also a veteran...do you begrudge government payments to a veteran?

cozborn 3 years, 1 month ago

NO he said where in the article does it say he gets government benefits. So i pointed out the location. Then I merely was mocking his snide comment that he made. He should have read the article before he says something like that, and if he was referring to the other transient he should have mentioned that.

ignatius_j_reilly 3 years, 1 month ago

Depends on your vantage point. There have been media reports on freegans finding free food all over Lawrence dumpsters. So while you think these homeless folks are worthless trash, I'd like to know how much perfectly good food you've thrown out before, when it could be given to someone less fortunate or starving in Africa.

Frankly, if you have a soul, even the most conservative people will allow that society is best when it takes care of the extreme impoverished. You might not agree with the extent to which we fund programs for the poor, but you have to agree on this: these guys are trying to limit how imposing they are on society. I'm sure they'd rather live alone on the river -- as one was arrested for, because it was illegal -- but the laws don't allow it. So they do the next best thing.

Frankly, I'd think someone like you who want to vilify the poor should actually point to people like this as an example of how the rest of those treacherous poor should live. Instead, you see only black and white through your sad glasses. These guys is poor. The poors is baddies! Boo baddies! Yay me!

timetospeakup 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm guessing by the time my leftovers made it to the starving kids in Africa, they'd be far too rotten for them to eat.

Raphael 3 years, 1 month ago

seriously? Now see, that just wouldn't be a life I'd want. But I'm more than happy to support his -- who's he hurting?

Raphael 3 years, 1 month ago

I intended this comment for 50YearResident -- who seemed jealous that this guy could live for free, or resentful that we are somehow supporting his lifestyle. What are people to do who don't have what it takes to hold down a regular job and fit the mold of the working class? Not everyone does -- that's a fact. So why do we snear at them and resent them? Just be glad you are what you are, and your kids are what they are.

woodscolt 3 years, 1 month ago

If you think this is an easy life, try it out for yourself. My guess is that it isn't easy at all. Where is all the chest beating about those who join the armed services that you no doubt engage in.

nativeson 3 years, 1 month ago

It is a nice story until you find out that a one time he was banned from City Hall for threatening an employee in the planning department with an 8 inch knife. He has consistently been verbally abusive to City officials and at public comment has made veiled threats about consequences for enforcing the law. I am glad that Mr. Tanner found a workable solution, but he is dangerous when confronted.

repete66211 3 years, 1 month ago

The claim is that they (homeless people) are no burden on anyone, that they're just minding their own business. But on closer examination you see that's anything but the case. They're transient squatters who play the system to their advantage, and not just the social services system either. Homeless people create a tangible burden on city employees, business owners and regular citizens. They create a hassle for someone every day, panhandling, defecating in doorways, etc.

What do they eat? Where do they go to the bathroom? Where do they shower? Those with no income rely on someone else to provide everything for them from dawn to dusk. How much time do you suppose the police and other city employees must spend on the jobless parasites relative to the rest of us?

Lastly, don't talk about how liberating it is to not have the worries of rent, a job and the other resposibilities of living in civilized society while taking full advantage of that civilized society. If you're going to unplug then unplug. Go live in the wilderness or some other place where being a non-contributor isn't working against you.

Alceste 3 years, 1 month ago

What do they use for "facilities": bathing and bodily functions?

geekin_topekan 3 years, 1 month ago

"They use city facilities to take showers" +++ Read.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 1 month ago

"I'm not inclined to believe that income taxes are paid on the income derived from being a street musician - is anyone else?"

Do you really think he makes enough to be required to pay income taxes (or even file a return) by playing on the street?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 1 month ago

"Bums brag about making upwards of $100 a day on the streets."

And you believe them?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 1 month ago

Could be, I guess. I wonder where they keep all that cash, though. They don't even have mattresses.

parrothead8 3 years, 1 month ago

In your opinion, what is the difference between a "legitimate" taxpayer and an "illegitimate" taxpayer? Are these gentlemen "illegitimate" taxpayers because they don't pay all the same kinds of taxes you think they should? They pay sales tax on everything they buy, and since they both have vehicles, they are both paying property/tag taxes on those. They were both born in the U.S. and at least one of them fought for his country. Do they not deserve to use city facilities due to these things?

And have you looked in his 5-gallon buckets, or is that just wild speculation by you? I assume you've actually looked in the buckets, because otherwise your comment smacks of the same type of irresponsible reporting you so often accuse LJW writers of doing. I know you wouldn't do that.

jhawk0097 3 years, 1 month ago

"They use city facilities - yes, those paid for by legitimate taxpayers."

They pay 1.89% in city and county sales tax that pay for general operations, streets, and infrastructure.

beatrice 3 years, 1 month ago

Cheeseburger, you are more than welcome to join him and set up your own mobile residence if you think he is getting something you are not. Make that big, big money from panhandling if you are so jealous of what they have.

Myself, I'll pass. I prefer to live in a home made of brick and wood and pay my taxes. Let others live off the dregs if they choose.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 1 month ago

There are public restrooms and probably places that allow one to shower for a small fee. These are things I have learned from many camping expeditions. In general this nation is friendly and helpful.

Anydaynow 3 years, 1 month ago

I give them credit for taking care of themselves. Probably a lot of other homeless people would like to do the same, but once you are down, it is hard to get back up and start over. I am VERY proud of you guys!

cozborn 3 years, 1 month ago

what are those buckets that sit out of his shack full of?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 1 month ago

Why don't you give them a sniff test and get back with us with your findings?

shaunepec 3 years, 1 month ago

Michael told us he uses them for trash, and also as a sort of marker for passing traffic.

50YearResident 3 years, 1 month ago

Thanks Journal World for glorifing the bum life and commenting how well these two get around and circumvent the parking/camping laws by moving thier vehicles every 48 hours to a new location. Nothing like another blight on our nice downtown attractions.

Liberty275 3 years, 1 month ago

What nice downtown attractions does Lawrence have?

jhawk0097 3 years, 1 month ago

They probably also circumvent speed limit laws by not breaking them.

Liberty275 3 years, 1 month ago

Good for them. Know the law and how to circumvent it. Where do they hook up the XBox?

Liberty275 3 years, 1 month ago

OK. Not circumventing. I'll rephrase it to "living an alternate lifestyle within the confines of the law". Hopefully you didn't take my comment as condemnation. I think what they are doing is inventive and thus admirable.

Although, it is sort of a loophole and thus circumventing the intent of the law. Frankly, that's the best part.

Liberty275 3 years, 1 month ago

From the "no good deed goes unpunished" column, we have this:

I'd support phelps if he parked a motor home on Mass with words on it reminding us his god doesn't like homosexuals and thanking said god for dead soldiers as long as it was legal.

Hope that helps put the universe back in order my wizardly friend!

:-)

Liberty275 3 years, 1 month ago

Vets took an oath to uphold the constitution (I know because I was there). I suppose they could renounce their oath if they wanted be anti-constitutional vigilantes and mindlessly trample rights.

You can't really uphold something while you violate it.

Fred Mertz 3 years, 1 month ago

I see no problem with these guys knowing the law and using it to their advantage, but I am consistent and have no problem with corporations doing it too. I just want to see if you apply the same standard to everyone - do you?

Liberty275 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm OK with both situations as long as no laws are broke.

Fred Mertz 3 years, 1 month ago

I was actually replying to Gandalf's post, but I agree with you.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 1 month ago

"So, if it is okay for this person to use the law to their advantage, then is it okay for corporations to use the laws, to follow the laws as written to their advantage?"

Well, first off, these guys don't spend $billion buying off politicians to write laws to their advantage, and secondly, while they might be an occasional annoyance to a few people, by and large, they aren't hurting anybody, and they certainly aren't crashing the world economy the way Wall Street recently did (and would like the leeway to do again.)

Apples and oranges.

Liberty275 3 years, 1 month ago

"Well, first off, these guys don't spend $billion buying off politicians to write laws to their advantage"

If you have information regarding the bribery of any public official, you should alert the proper authorities.

chasler2001 3 years, 1 month ago

nice article, great video. I could see that video being expanded. I would find it interesting to get a look inside that Lawrence sub culture. Would be some very interesting stories.

redneck 3 years, 1 month ago

If this is such a great article, does that mean all of you are going to build a portable shanty and quit your jobs, and eat out of the dumpsters? I suggest all of you who think this is so great, to invite him to park in front of your house. I'm sure most of you will not even consider doing this. How many people do we allow to do this in our community? 2, 50, 500, 2000? Should I keep going, or are starting to get the picture? It would be different if he was just having hard times, but he has been trying to live rent free for years. If we get enough people living in this mannor, we could change our nickname to Shantyville.

Liberty275 3 years, 1 month ago

He can park in my driveway for a while. I'll even run an extension cord out for him until the city makes me remove it. (that has happened in the past while we were playing charitable electric company for our destitute neighbors). He should be forewarned the dogs won't allow him in the house though. However, he can watch TV through the window.

geekin_topekan 3 years, 1 month ago

Everytime that they buy something in Lawrence, gas, laundrymat or food, they are paying into the system. They have earned every right to the public facilities as the next guy.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 years, 1 month ago

I am a bit taken aback by this article, even though it is in this newsrag. Glorifying this homeless, lazy, member of the dregs of society is not the sort of "news article" that I see as a front page presentation, unless you are one of the JW's staff.

There have always been bums, panhandlers, homeless people for a variety of reasons, no job skills, no self-respect, no desire to better themselves, no concern for society, no responsibility. Many are victims of mental problems or drug abuse. They are out there and we see them. But does the local newsrag need to glorify them?

We try to raise our childern to become edcated, sulf-reliant, intelligent, responsible and concerned for the community. This stupid article presents a bunch of ideas to be nothing, street trash, and bumming off the responsibile citizens of the community. This guy is proud of taking care of himself, while in reality without all the rest of us working at our jobs, paying taxes, behaving like resonsible members of societry willing to tolerate this sort of life style, he would be completely out of luck.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 years, 1 month ago

Gandalf, I am a college grad in education. It is a chore and hassle to be absolutely correct every time, but I strain to make a gallant attempt! Thanks for noting my error, I will attempt to rise to the expectations of my freshman English professor who whould have kicked my butt for such lapses of spelling and grammer. Sorry, Dr. Campbell!

james bush 3 years, 1 month ago

grammer?:) ;), sorry about that, the devil made me do it.

Liberty275 3 years, 1 month ago

Did the Lord Satan say anything to you about capitalization?

:-)

roadwarrior 3 years, 1 month ago

It's a nice story...and it seems these people have adapted by following the laws to get by ....who doesn't know the law is the commenter who says they dont make enough to file taxes....everyone has to file whether you have income or not...........its the country asking everyone to "check in" once a year.

roadwarrior 3 years, 1 month ago

thank you gandalf, I see your correct. http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96623,00.html it can be a little more complicated than what you stated but, I stand corrected. ouch that stings. LOL.

friendlyjhawk 3 years, 1 month ago

What a sad life these men have chosen. Hanging at City Hall, public showers. The cost shows in their faces. They aren't free, they are shackled by their choice (as we all are).

Linda Endicott 3 years, 1 month ago

You probably would have been miserable on Walden Pond, too...and wouldn't have learned a thing...

Kyle Chandler 3 years, 1 month ago

Oh these guys are such a blight, i mean, i know the poor exist and all, and i hate veterans as much as i hate the disabled and elderly, but do we really have to see them in our perfect city? And then have it put in our face by the LJW that they use the public shower and eat day old pizza at the shelter for FREE!!!! I am beside myself.

CheeseBOOGer, 50yr old codger , and Bozo the clock......im sure have NEVER cashed their income tax refund checks (that im sure were 100% accurate) while utilizing the 'socialist' free roads and highways, taking their precious children to their 'freeloading' public education facilities.

Dangerous when confronted? What humans aren't when facing sleeping on the ground outside. Get a friggin' clue....im sure you guys are real Hindu Lambs.

Oh, and if the bums in this town were making hundreds of dollars a day here, you'd really have something to whine about because there would be MANY, MANY more than the 5-10 regular panhandlers you seeintermittently downtown. If you knew anything, Lawrence is a Hub to places like Austin,TX where they can sit at major intersections with a sign and all their gear year round.......you just don't know how good you have it.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 1 month ago

" and Bozo the clock......"

I get the feeling you've misread my posts.

ladyky63 3 years, 1 month ago

They forgot to add this man is on food stamps and spends weekends at WalMart begging for money. How do I know this I work at WalMart I see him there a lot.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm curious to know what the monthly expense of this type of home would be. How much do they spend on gas, parking meters, upkeep, etc. Can you plug an electric blanket into a car lighter and is it safe? Do they have anything else that is electric and if so, where do they plug in? Also, do they have mailing addresses?

I can see how some people would be upset by this but in my opinion I won't tell you how to live as long as you don't expect me to cater to your lifestyle or bend the rules for you. It sounds like they're following the rules so no complaints from me.

james bush 3 years, 1 month ago

O M Gosh, what an uplifting, inspirational piece of fluff journalism........what great investigative reporting!
OTOH, thanks for letting us know a little something about these kinds of derelicts.

"There but for the grace of God go I" is one way to look at it.

50YearResident 3 years, 1 month ago

Two upstanding citizens in this article. I wonder how Mr Miles ended up here in Lawrence after being in a flood in Iowa in 2010 and getting his "mobile home" washed away. So if he is not originally from Lawrence why is he here now? Could it be the plush facilities afforded to the homeless here? Maybe it's the tollerance and gifting that our citizens give to the homeless that draws so many out of towners here too mouch from. This could have been a good question for the writer of this article to ask and include in the story.

shaunepec 3 years, 1 month ago

My understanding is that Mr. Wiles has been in Lawrence since 1992, but was travelling to visit relatives when the flood occurred.

Linda Endicott 3 years, 1 month ago

Plush facilities? For the homeless? Are you for real? If you think they're so damned "plush", why haven't you been using them? You don't sound too "tollerant" to me (the word is actually tolerant)... And that one sentence should be spelled: "out-of-towners here to mooch from"... Gee...I'd guess you didn't learn very much at that government funded school where you freeloaded...

50YearResident 3 years, 1 month ago

Government funded school? Who funded your scool? Maybe you didn't attend one because you were traveling from state to state in you mobile home. But, thanks for the english lessons. Plush? What other city the size of Lawrence is building a 2 million dollar homeless spa and hotel?

redneck 3 years, 1 month ago

One definition of tolerate is to put up with. I refuse to put up with people like this guy? What kind of world would this be, if we all bought a camper and did the same thing? If we allow a few people to do this, what is to keep more people from doing the same?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 1 month ago

"What kind of world would this be, if we all bought a camper and did the same thing?"

Dunno. What kind of world would it be?

Would it be a better world if we all had a 6000 sq. ft. McMansion, a 10-acre lawn, five cars, a private jet and a 65 ft. yacht instead?

nocrybabies 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm jealous. Is it possible to start a whole mobile community? Wandering bands of retired mobile Gypsies would be so cool. Count me in.

pace 3 years, 1 month ago

It is better to be in the paper if, born, married or death. This will just be bad luck.

johnm126 3 years, 1 month ago

A few want to cut him down saying hes not paying taxes well thats wrong he may not be paying the taxes you are on your brand new cars or 100 thousand plus dollar home,, thats your choice as to why your taxes are so high,He is paying taxes on his van and trailer if he wasnt he wouldnt be able to licence them and there fore no licence the police could take him off the streets.He is also paying taxes on what gasoline he uses as well as anything else he purchases so he does pay taxes one way or another.and Im sure anyone would pay less taxes if they could get away with it.I am taking it he is drawing a disabilty check therefore he is probably paying for medicare.medicare is not free anyone on social security or disability has to pay for it.As far as the free food thats what their there for those who cant afford it.

Boomtroculous 2 years, 8 months ago

Society is obviously harsh to those who'd rather live a little differently.

dreamsindigital 2 years, 8 months ago

I see both sides to this issue. Have either of these people looked into renting a lot in one of the mobile home parks in town? I am unsure if their mobile "homes" would be allowed to be parked on a lot and used as a home there at the park because I do not know what the landlords current policies are in these locations but I know someone on disability should be able to afford lot rent in most of the area parks in Lawrence. I doubt the larger parks in the county would let these type of homes occupy a lot to use an R.V. as shelter. My question is would one of the smaller, privately owned parks be willing to rent a lot to use an R.V. for shelter? In the past I have seen a few of the smaller mobile home parks in Lawrence have an R.V. or 2 set up from time to time being used as shelter in their park. And there is at least one small park in Lawrence mostly occupied by R.V. units in use as shelter and as R.V. storage. I know that there may be problems I am unaware of that would make this suggestion impossible to consider, I just wanted to point out this idea I had hoping it may help the community resolve this issue more quickly. Thanks.

sassypants 2 years, 8 months ago

KOA Campgrounds out by the airport motel would be a good place for him. But he doesn't want to pay "rent".