Archive for Sunday, November 6, 2011

Lawrence, area residents feel Oklahoma earthquake

November 6, 2011

Melody McKenzie said she’s not usually superstitious. But when she saw her kitchen table begin to shake late Saturday, the first thing that popped into her head was the film “Paranormal Activity.”

“Things were moving on their own, and it just reminded me of that movie.”

She wasn’t alone. Many other Lawrence residents across the city said they weren’t sure what they had felt, or even if they had felt anything at all. But the U.S. Geological Survey confirmed it detected a 5.6 magnitude earthquake at 10:53 p.m. centered near Oklahoma City.

Locally, Lawrence police said early today that there were no reports of damage or requests for assistance.

“I’ve been through a lot of things but never an earthquake,” McKenzie said.

Karen Shirk was at her home just north of Lawrence Municipal Airport when the tremor hit.

“The windows were moving back and forth,” Shirk said. “It was kind of unnerving.”

Her sister-in-law, Lawrence native Martha Evans, was in town visiting from Edmond, Okla., about 50 miles away from the earthquake’s epicenter.

Evans spoke to her husband back in Oklahoma, who said their house was “really twisting, snapping and popping.”

“We’ve had a few earthquakes in the past few years in Oklahoma,” Evans said. “But feeling it up in Kansas means it must have been much bigger than any we’ve had.”

Reporter Aaron Couch can be reached at 832-7217. Follow him at Twitter.com/aaroncouch.

Comments

LogicMan 3 years ago

One of our glass doors rattled, repeatedly, about 30 seconds apart.

Joe Hyde 3 years ago

Definitely felt that quake in Eudora. I couldn't tell it was a quake that I felt while lying on the sofa watching the K-State/Oklahoma State game, but the thought of earthquake did briefly cross my mind. Then I dismissed it because quakes aren't something we feel around here much.

Prior to last night's tremor, the last one I felt took place at Treasure Island Naval Receiving Station in San Francisco back in 1967. It was a mild tremor but still pretty spooky to a kid from Kansas.

Daphne Johnston 3 years ago

We felt it last night sitting in the upstairs room. It was that unmistakable quiver & shake, lasting less than a minute that both my husband & I had experienced elsewhere in the world. However, we could not find any reference to it in the media until this morning.

lawrencenerd 3 years ago

Definitely felt it. Was laying in bed with one of my dogs next to me. He suddenly jumped up and turned around to check to see if I was awake.

Linda Endicott 3 years ago

I live in Ottawa, and I definitely felt it...was sitting at the computer when the windows started to rattle and my chair rolled a little way...was really freaking out for awhile...it's an old, old house that I rent an apartment in, and for awhile I was afraid the thing was trying to collapse...lol...was relieved to hear about the earthquake this morning... They said on Channel 4 this morning that it was a really shallow quake, and they can be felt for longer distances...

puddleglum 3 years ago

It knocked stuff off of our refrigerator, and our french doors were rattling back and forth ... we thought we had an intruder! I grabbed the ol' 1911 and checked the perimeter. the compound was vacant and secure. never would have thought of an earth quake!

holdenpammie 3 years ago

The motion of my bed rocking woke me up. I was watching TV sleeping off & on when I felt the bed move. At first I thought it was my husband coming to bed but when I opened my eyes I was alone, realizing the bed was moving, the sound of things rattling and the house cracking. My first thoughts were, it was a dream, but then it stared again, lasting about 30 seconds. That was when I realized it was an earthquake. More like a trimmer to me tho. as I grew up in california having been through several quakes & lots of trimmers. This was not the first time I have felt a trimmer while living in Lawrence tho. I moved here in May 2000. This is the 4th time I have felt the ground move here. This being the strongest so far. My parents live in Moore, outside of OKC. I called them today and they discribed the quake as having rattled things on their walls. My Mother explained, "Your Dad was in the kitchen holding onto the cookie jars that are on top of the frig, he at first thought the frig was going out and making an awful noise while shaking, I was sitting in my recliner and the house rocked back and forth." It also reminded her of the quakes we experienced in Calif. We experienced an 8.2 quake in 1971 when I was 11 yrs old. My sister was born Christmas day and she was about 6 weeks old. You never forget that feeling and when you feel it again you know what it is. It just did not cross my mind when I moved to Lawrence that I would ever feel a trimmer here. But I have and this was the forth time I have felt the ground move since being here. I'm just glad to see others felt it also, as my husband is still teasing me because he claimes he didn't feel anything. Thats ok, I think his day is coming tho if it keeps this up. Lol

gsxr600 3 years ago

That's ironic because I was at the movie theater watching Paranormal Activity 3 and didn't feel a damn thing.

Jayhawk1958 3 years ago

I was on my chase and thought I someone from downstairs was blaring their music.