Archive for Sunday, November 6, 2011

Authorities respond to multiple injury crash at 19th and Iowa

November 6, 2011, 2:29 a.m. Updated November 6, 2011, 9:19 p.m.

Emergency crews, including one helicopter, responded to a two-vehicle crash that occurred at about 2:15 a.m. Sunday at 19th and Iowa in Lawrence.

Lawrence Police Sgt. Kirk Fultz said a Chevrolet Suburban T-boned an Acura, injuring three people. Fultz said police are still investigating the accident and have not determined who was at fault.

Lawrence Police were first to arrive on the scene and initially reported four people were injured. Two people were trapped and required extrication; their injuries were said to be critical, according to Journal-World news partner Operation 100 News.

Fultz said an ambulance drove a 17-year-old to Overland Park Regional Medical Center. An 18-year-old was flown to Kansas University Hospital. Both were passengers in the Acura.

Fultz said police arrested another person from the Acura after he fled the scene on foot. Fultz did not know if he was the driver.

One passenger from the Suburban was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

Two helicopters were initially dispatched to the scene, LifeStar and LifeFlight Eagle, but the request for the LifeFlight Eagle was canceled.

Fultz said he believed alcohol was a factor in the accident. Police have not released names of the victims, and their medical condition status is still not available as of late Sunday.

Comments

Darwin 2 years, 9 months ago

Actually, I was first on the scene after I came across the 10-48 accident and reported it to our Dispatcher. Aside from that, I really can't make any more comments.

somebodynew 2 years, 9 months ago

"Aside from that, I really can't make any more comments."

And you really did Not need to make that one, except to make yourself feel good and look big. And if I am reading between the lines, the article is correct, the police were first on the scene. .

Hope all recover.

LogicMan 2 years, 9 months ago

Why do so many bad things happen at 2:15 a.m. in this town?

A wise person: "Nothing good happens after midnight."

3up3down 2 years, 9 months ago

That is shortly after the drunks are kicked out of the bars here.....duh!

ignatius_j_reilly 2 years, 9 months ago

What's wrong with that? Unless I'm missing something, I don't see any grammar errors. I don't see any misspellings, wrong words, or even logically strange things. In my opinion, this is good tight writing, in line with what Strunk and White would enjoy. Maybe you think it's redundant to say their injuries are critical given their dire situation, but the official status of 'critical' is different than 'stable' or any number of other statuses, and any of those statuses are possible when you're caught in a car.

Why don't you write something serious -- as in, if you write it wrong, you could be sued -- very quickly and publish it so we can take a look at your errors?

ignatius_j_reilly 2 years, 9 months ago

Upon re-reading, now I see it... it is missing the word "and" or a period. Fine. Congratulations. You can sleep safely at night, I hope. My invitation to write something liable to lawsuits quickly without error for us to peruse stands. I also happen to think the LJWorld has THE BEST news staff of any city of 100,000 in Kansas, possibly the Midwest, possibly even the nation.

ignatius_j_reilly 2 years, 9 months ago

I appreciate your respectfulness.

I think your analogies and understanding of journalism are a tad off. It's not unreasonable to expect journalists, mechanics and doctors to be competent in their work. I expect the same. But we disagree on what journalists' priorities are/should be.

If journalists were primarily grammarians, you would be totally right to call minor mistakes to attention. But journalists care about much more important issues -- say, multiple injuries in a bad car crash. They want to report the facts of what happened, which authorities said what, and get that news out to people as soon as possible, with or without comma splices. They throw out stories on the web quickly -- not to impress idiots like me and you talking about grammar, but to inform the people of Lawrence, people who might know one of the injured or might have a commute path along the closed roads. They have a few hours to work on the grammar and sentence flow and all that, after online publication and before print publication. And they can update the stories online whenever we spot a mistake.

I'll put it this way. Say the LJWorld was reporting on something of absolute, utmost importance to you at 3 a.m. Someone you know in a wreck, your neighborhood suffering power outages or fire or mass shootings, whatever... would you want them to hold off for an extra half-hour, call over an extra copy editor, making sure things flow logically and the spelling is all double-checked, the grammar rock solid -- or would you want them to roll with the damn story and update from there?

You imply that these reporters don't do their best, and aren't held to a high standard. But their standards are getting the important news up quickly, as a quasi-public service for the rest of us. And LJWorld reporters do a damn fine job of that.

Is their grammar spotless? Nope. I wouldn't want it to be.

grammaddy 2 years, 9 months ago

Before you morons get all caught up with in-fighting, maybe we should send prayers or well wishes to the injured. Geez. Must everything be a pissing contest?

ignatius_j_reilly 2 years, 9 months ago

As someone who just finished a round of pissing, I must agree. Thanks for keeping civility in mind. Prayers for these folks.

geekin_topekan 2 years, 9 months ago

The operation 100 report contains information not found in this JW report.

Is this cool wi/everybody?

Dixie Jones 2 years, 9 months ago

brainyguy 2 years, 9 months ago

Poor fella. Try to correct something and get it wrong yourself.

"...you are way in over your head." You should have written "you are in way over your head."

Actually, I wouldn't suggest you use that at all as it's quite cliche. One would think you could come up with something original.

bg

guess_again 2 years, 9 months ago

Cheeseburger is rapidly joining the club with Merrill as commentators I would squelch if I could do so on this forum by hitting a button.

ignatius_j_reilly 2 years, 9 months ago

Find another publication then. Quit whining like a four-year-old and wasting our time. Find a publication that will wait an hour to make sure their story is sharp before publishing. Would you have preferred to know about September 11 at 9:30 with typos or on Sept. 12, maybe noonish, after all the developments had taken place and the paper could be sure all the coverage and no typos were there?

parrothead8 2 years, 9 months ago

No, probably because you so often miss the point.

desertrose 2 years, 9 months ago

I wish the comments were screened and all the stupid people who think they are better than others could not post their trivial opinions. If you want to argue do it somewhere else. I would like to see comments related to the news, not the spelling errors and childish comments. So you can spell.......boring comments.

ignatius_j_reilly 2 years, 9 months ago

I agree with you on the big picture. Cheeseburger, I, and others have wasted way too much stupid time discussing grammar. On the other hand, this is a simple accident story. There could be limited speculation as to what happened, what public information has not been reported, etc. It's not exactly a thoughtful op-ed, in which the comment thread becomes an important back-and-forth on an important issue. With something like this, it becomes a peanut gallery, subject to the whims of the people. Sometimes that sucks like now, but sometimes it's cool.

FAMILYHERE 2 years, 9 months ago

ABSOLUTELY UNBELEIVABLE comments. We happen to be family of the injured person in this accident as you so called in your comments a SIMPLE accident report. This happened to be a very CRITICAL accident and all of your non appropriate comments were made prior to us being notified our family was involved in the accident. How do you feel about that??? You also stated in your comments people who might know one of the injured or might have a commute path along the closed street, did you ever stop and think before you made your comments their family may read them!? No, you people are more concerned about sloppy journalism instead of the injured accident victims involved and their families. I sign on here to review the story and I come across these unbeleivable comments instead. You need to get a life!!! While you were writing all of this ridiculous crap, we are praying for his, You better stop and think about your comments, I hope you feel real good about your professionalism OR whom does a good job and who doesn't, how pathetic. When you are so concerned about journalism and grammar, you better stop and think about the people involved in the accident and their families.

OonlyBonly 2 years, 9 months ago

Well said. Too bad the LJW doesn't say it more often. Prayers for your loved one.

ignatius_j_reilly 2 years, 9 months ago

My second comment offered prayers for those folks involved.

I'm sorry you weren't notified before I was -- but your complaint there should be directed toward the Lawrence Police Department, or whoever didn't notify you. If a journalist could find and report it, any public citizen could too.

Regarding caring more about journalism than the family, I will just say that I already gave my prayers; unfortunately, that's all I can do along those lines right now. Meanwhile, I'm going to discuss things on this forum.

Why is it pathetic if we discuss professionalism, and who does or doesn't do a good job? This is a city forum, and we're using it. We discussed the city paper, and compared it to others.

Sorry if we offended; but it sounds like you've got bigger issues on your plate. Maybe just don't read the comments next time. You still have my prayers.

FAMILYHERE 2 years, 9 months ago

Maybe later you can be UPDATED on the news of their conditions and see how you feel about that.

Dixie Jones 2 years, 9 months ago

Oh my CB is it not written in moron ? How bout we think about the people involved here the ones sitting by a loved ones side as he clings to life.

Jessie Stoltenow 2 years, 9 months ago

How are the injured doing? I knew people in the other car and when I heard they were life flighted my heart sank. I hope all are doing okay. My prayers are with everyone involved and their families.

lawkaw 2 years, 9 months ago

Hey all you idiots maybe instead of fighting who is more of a man you could send prayers to the victims and their family. God bless.

gsxr600 2 years, 9 months ago

Best wishes to the victims.

And what's the point in running unless you plan on scratching your VIN numbers off, taking the license plate, and thermite grenading your car to seal the deal? Doing it wrong.

ccheek 2 years, 9 months ago

BlackVelvet 2 years, 9 months ago

Hey LJW....last time I called someone a "moron" on these forums, you deleted my post. So what gives? "Moron", "Idiot"....I guess there really is no reason why any of us (including me) need to call people names just because we disagree with something they posted. So, LJW, I accept my post being deleted. Now, for the rest of you, how about we all chill a bit and try to be civil? I will.

mmul1967 2 years, 9 months ago

I am glad to say that my nephew who utilized the the lifeflight to KU( In very critical condition} is alive by the graces of God. Thank you to all who sent out their prayers... They are being answered.He will have now have one of the toughest jounreys in life to complete. To survive and try to become the strong young 18 year old man that we all know and love.. Now, I am glad to see that the most important part of this story was how it was displayed for all to see. Oh my, we are all professionals in our own careers. I am sorry if my grammar or punctuation is incorrect. My Bad. This was a report on a very serious accident, not an English class assingment. Thank You for reporting this you did a great job. I havent found any other agency reporting this. But next time for all involved leave the professional criticisam at home. I would hope that if it was someone in your family you would want to here about the situation itself. Not if the report had a typo or something.. my gosh. Wake Up !!!

lucas35 2 years, 9 months ago

I happen to drive by the wreck before most emergency crews arrived and stopped to help. I was wondering if your nephew was the driver or the passenger and if you cared to share any details on his injuries/ recovery. I was also wondering if you knew anything about the other young man in the vehicle. Just wanting to check up.

P.s. I am an exercise science major so I apologize if my grammar is up to par for all of you that care.

Clickker 2 years, 9 months ago

Yes, it would be nice to know who some of the victims were...it will be reported in time, but I would like to know if some of these kids were classmates of my kids at KU or the high school

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 9 months ago

Many say "I hope it wasn't anybody that I know!"

I think that's really tragic that some people think that way.

It was somebody that someone knew and cared about, and that's what matters.

KuGal12426 2 years, 9 months ago

My thoughts are with those in any kind of unfortunate condition as well as their families.

I think that when we see these kinds of brief articles describing something awful we are immediately thinking of anyone that has that vehicle, was driving that road for any reason during that time of day, etc. Perhaps some may find that inappropriate but I find it completely natural. I know that I have a tendency to call up my loved ones and make sure they are all okay.

On another note, to address the hobby commentators...

I hope that a tragedy or a trying circumstance never strikes the lives of any of those who feel justified in exhibiting blatant disrespect to their fellow members of society. I think that realizing how terrible they've been toward complete strangers in their most difficult moments may be even more pain than they can bear.

That is, unless they are indeed simply heartless and so self-righteous that they don't see the error in their ways. In that case, I rely upon the ljworld.com staff to delete their comments before they cause further pain.

ignatius_j_reilly 2 years, 9 months ago

What's with all the hand-wringing?

Unless there's more details about the story, there's nothing more we can do. So we have two options...

OPTION 1 -- "Sorry to hear about that." "Sorry to hear about that." "Sorry to hear about that." "Sorry to hear about that." "Sorry to hear about that." "Sorry to hear about that." "Sorry to hear about that." "Sorry to hear about that." "Sorry to hear about that." "Sorry to hear about that."

OPTION 2 -- Discuss the topic, and any related ones, on this forum.

Of course there is an option 3 -- people on this forum obviously have further details about the accident; if they care to release those to us for more discussion (and a repeat of option 1), they can. Otherwise, it's options 1 and 2... and 2 is just more popular.

I think people are more mad at the guy pointing out typos, but probably equally mad with me for arguing with him. But, sorry, I'll choose option 2 everytime. Ban me if needed.

Final thought: If it was pointless bickering, but over traffic safety, which often happens on a story like this, it would get the same amount of good deeds done (zero), but would it piss you off less? I'm guessing so.

FAMILYHERE 2 years, 9 months ago

In response to Lucas 35

My nephew was the passenger in back seat and I havent heard of the condition of the driver as of yet. My nephew is still holding on. The next week will tell alot. He has a brain injury from the impact. Worried and watching the brain swelling right now.He has four fractured vertabre in his lower back. a few broken ribs. Punctured lung. Broken collar bone. Fractured pelvis. I believe thats it.But now the main concern is the brain swelling and the possibility of blood clots. He is in very good care @ KU so it is a long wait right now. He is a strong young man and he has many prayers going his way. I have faith in the Lord. He will be fine. Thank you so much for stopping and trying to do anything you could do. My heart goes out to you. I am sure it will be a lasting memory on you also. As I hear more I will post it. Once again Thank You for stopping.

ignatius_j_reilly 2 years, 9 months ago

My prayers are with you. That sounds very scary.

prayingforyou 2 years, 9 months ago

My prayers are going out everyday. I knew two of the people in the car and we are good friends. I'm hoping and praying you guys get throgh this. I'm ready for you both to come home! I love you guys stay strong I know you both got this.

lucas35 2 years, 9 months ago

I did some volunteer fire fighting before coming up there to go to school, so it wasn't like I was just stopping out of the blue. Just thought I might be able to help a little until more people got there. But I'm sorry to hear about all his injuries, that's terrible. Stay optimistic. They are both certainly in my prayers as well as in the prayer chain at my church. I would appreciate any updates you post. Also, if anyone knows how the other young man is doing that would be good to know. To the families, if there is ANYTHING I can do let me know. There is a way to privately message people by clicking on their user name. I will keep praying.

FAMILYHERE 2 years, 9 months ago

Thank you for keeping him in your prayers, we know GOD is holding his hand and will heal him, he is a fighter, he is young and strong, thank you so much for caring.

ToriLynn 2 years, 9 months ago

Its sad some of the things people can say about ones they don't know My homeboys didn't mean no harm, they are typical teenagers, you guys act like you never did anything wrong or made a bad choice when you were there age.. negative comments are not needed, they are both doing better than they were, Teters and Mikey are strong guys they will get threw this it takes love and support to do so, but you guys are disrespectfull and careless just think about it what if it was you freaking kids it happened to would you like to see comments like this.. probably not. And believe me karma sucks your negative comments are going to bite you in the a**. For Teters family im sorry for the negitivity and i hope to see teters get better. and for mikey its going to take alot of healing like teters but mikey will make it through, Even if everyones negative they both know they have friends and family who care about them and have been up there for them. Mikey wasn't even consicious on his Birthday and everyone was still there.. My homeboys will Make it..!!