Archive for Sunday, November 6, 2011

Authorities respond to multiple injury crash at 19th and Iowa

November 6, 2011, 2:29 a.m. Updated November 6, 2011, 9:19 p.m.

Emergency crews, including one helicopter, responded to a two-vehicle crash that occurred at about 2:15 a.m. Sunday at 19th and Iowa in Lawrence.

Lawrence Police Sgt. Kirk Fultz said a Chevrolet Suburban T-boned an Acura, injuring three people. Fultz said police are still investigating the accident and have not determined who was at fault.

Lawrence Police were first to arrive on the scene and initially reported four people were injured. Two people were trapped and required extrication; their injuries were said to be critical, according to Journal-World news partner Operation 100 News.

Fultz said an ambulance drove a 17-year-old to Overland Park Regional Medical Center. An 18-year-old was flown to Kansas University Hospital. Both were passengers in the Acura.

Fultz said police arrested another person from the Acura after he fled the scene on foot. Fultz did not know if he was the driver.

One passenger from the Suburban was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

Two helicopters were initially dispatched to the scene, LifeStar and LifeFlight Eagle, but the request for the LifeFlight Eagle was canceled.

Fultz said he believed alcohol was a factor in the accident. Police have not released names of the victims, and their medical condition status is still not available as of late Sunday.

Comments

ToriLynn 2 years, 5 months ago

Its sad some of the things people can say about ones they don't know My homeboys didn't mean no harm, they are typical teenagers, you guys act like you never did anything wrong or made a bad choice when you were there age.. negative comments are not needed, they are both doing better than they were, Teters and Mikey are strong guys they will get threw this it takes love and support to do so, but you guys are disrespectfull and careless just think about it what if it was you freaking kids it happened to would you like to see comments like this.. probably not. And believe me karma sucks your negative comments are going to bite you in the a**. For Teters family im sorry for the negitivity and i hope to see teters get better. and for mikey its going to take alot of healing like teters but mikey will make it through, Even if everyones negative they both know they have friends and family who care about them and have been up there for them. Mikey wasn't even consicious on his Birthday and everyone was still there.. My homeboys will Make it..!!

FAMILYHERE 2 years, 5 months ago

Thank you for keeping him in your prayers, we know GOD is holding his hand and will heal him, he is a fighter, he is young and strong, thank you so much for caring.

lucas35 2 years, 5 months ago

I did some volunteer fire fighting before coming up there to go to school, so it wasn't like I was just stopping out of the blue. Just thought I might be able to help a little until more people got there. But I'm sorry to hear about all his injuries, that's terrible. Stay optimistic. They are both certainly in my prayers as well as in the prayer chain at my church. I would appreciate any updates you post. Also, if anyone knows how the other young man is doing that would be good to know. To the families, if there is ANYTHING I can do let me know. There is a way to privately message people by clicking on their user name. I will keep praying.

prayingforyou 2 years, 5 months ago

My prayers are going out everyday. I knew two of the people in the car and we are good friends. I'm hoping and praying you guys get throgh this. I'm ready for you both to come home! I love you guys stay strong I know you both got this.

FAMILYHERE 2 years, 5 months ago

In response to Lucas 35

My nephew was the passenger in back seat and I havent heard of the condition of the driver as of yet. My nephew is still holding on. The next week will tell alot. He has a brain injury from the impact. Worried and watching the brain swelling right now.He has four fractured vertabre in his lower back. a few broken ribs. Punctured lung. Broken collar bone. Fractured pelvis. I believe thats it.But now the main concern is the brain swelling and the possibility of blood clots. He is in very good care @ KU so it is a long wait right now. He is a strong young man and he has many prayers going his way. I have faith in the Lord. He will be fine. Thank you so much for stopping and trying to do anything you could do. My heart goes out to you. I am sure it will be a lasting memory on you also. As I hear more I will post it. Once again Thank You for stopping.

ignatius_j_reilly 2 years, 5 months ago

What's with all the hand-wringing?

Unless there's more details about the story, there's nothing more we can do. So we have two options...

OPTION 1 -- "Sorry to hear about that." "Sorry to hear about that." "Sorry to hear about that." "Sorry to hear about that." "Sorry to hear about that." "Sorry to hear about that." "Sorry to hear about that." "Sorry to hear about that." "Sorry to hear about that." "Sorry to hear about that."

OPTION 2 -- Discuss the topic, and any related ones, on this forum.

Of course there is an option 3 -- people on this forum obviously have further details about the accident; if they care to release those to us for more discussion (and a repeat of option 1), they can. Otherwise, it's options 1 and 2... and 2 is just more popular.

I think people are more mad at the guy pointing out typos, but probably equally mad with me for arguing with him. But, sorry, I'll choose option 2 everytime. Ban me if needed.

Final thought: If it was pointless bickering, but over traffic safety, which often happens on a story like this, it would get the same amount of good deeds done (zero), but would it piss you off less? I'm guessing so.

KuGal12426 2 years, 5 months ago

My thoughts are with those in any kind of unfortunate condition as well as their families.

I think that when we see these kinds of brief articles describing something awful we are immediately thinking of anyone that has that vehicle, was driving that road for any reason during that time of day, etc. Perhaps some may find that inappropriate but I find it completely natural. I know that I have a tendency to call up my loved ones and make sure they are all okay.

On another note, to address the hobby commentators...

I hope that a tragedy or a trying circumstance never strikes the lives of any of those who feel justified in exhibiting blatant disrespect to their fellow members of society. I think that realizing how terrible they've been toward complete strangers in their most difficult moments may be even more pain than they can bear.

That is, unless they are indeed simply heartless and so self-righteous that they don't see the error in their ways. In that case, I rely upon the ljworld.com staff to delete their comments before they cause further pain.

Clickker 2 years, 5 months ago

Yes, it would be nice to know who some of the victims were...it will be reported in time, but I would like to know if some of these kids were classmates of my kids at KU or the high school

mmul1967 2 years, 5 months ago

I am glad to say that my nephew who utilized the the lifeflight to KU( In very critical condition} is alive by the graces of God. Thank you to all who sent out their prayers... They are being answered.He will have now have one of the toughest jounreys in life to complete. To survive and try to become the strong young 18 year old man that we all know and love.. Now, I am glad to see that the most important part of this story was how it was displayed for all to see. Oh my, we are all professionals in our own careers. I am sorry if my grammar or punctuation is incorrect. My Bad. This was a report on a very serious accident, not an English class assingment. Thank You for reporting this you did a great job. I havent found any other agency reporting this. But next time for all involved leave the professional criticisam at home. I would hope that if it was someone in your family you would want to here about the situation itself. Not if the report had a typo or something.. my gosh. Wake Up !!!

BlackVelvet 2 years, 5 months ago

Hey LJW....last time I called someone a "moron" on these forums, you deleted my post. So what gives? "Moron", "Idiot"....I guess there really is no reason why any of us (including me) need to call people names just because we disagree with something they posted. So, LJW, I accept my post being deleted. Now, for the rest of you, how about we all chill a bit and try to be civil? I will.

jman785 2 years, 5 months ago

I guess they didn't set there watches. They still had another hour of drinking at the bar....

ccheek 2 years, 5 months ago

gsxr600 2 years, 5 months ago

Best wishes to the victims.

And what's the point in running unless you plan on scratching your VIN numbers off, taking the license plate, and thermite grenading your car to seal the deal? Doing it wrong.

lawkaw 2 years, 5 months ago

Hey all you idiots maybe instead of fighting who is more of a man you could send prayers to the victims and their family. God bless.

js02 2 years, 5 months ago

How are the injured doing? I knew people in the other car and when I heard they were life flighted my heart sank. I hope all are doing okay. My prayers are with everyone involved and their families.

Dixie Jones 2 years, 5 months ago

Oh my CB is it not written in moron ? How bout we think about the people involved here the ones sitting by a loved ones side as he clings to life.

FAMILYHERE 2 years, 5 months ago

Maybe later you can be UPDATED on the news of their conditions and see how you feel about that.

offtotheright 2 years, 5 months ago

It's too bad we don't have a 'real' hospital in Lawrence

FAMILYHERE 2 years, 5 months ago

ABSOLUTELY UNBELEIVABLE comments. We happen to be family of the injured person in this accident as you so called in your comments a SIMPLE accident report. This happened to be a very CRITICAL accident and all of your non appropriate comments were made prior to us being notified our family was involved in the accident. How do you feel about that??? You also stated in your comments people who might know one of the injured or might have a commute path along the closed street, did you ever stop and think before you made your comments their family may read them!? No, you people are more concerned about sloppy journalism instead of the injured accident victims involved and their families. I sign on here to review the story and I come across these unbeleivable comments instead. You need to get a life!!! While you were writing all of this ridiculous crap, we are praying for his, You better stop and think about your comments, I hope you feel real good about your professionalism OR whom does a good job and who doesn't, how pathetic. When you are so concerned about journalism and grammar, you better stop and think about the people involved in the accident and their families.

desertrose 2 years, 5 months ago

I wish the comments were screened and all the stupid people who think they are better than others could not post their trivial opinions. If you want to argue do it somewhere else. I would like to see comments related to the news, not the spelling errors and childish comments. So you can spell.......boring comments.

guess_again 2 years, 5 months ago

Cheeseburger is rapidly joining the club with Merrill as commentators I would squelch if I could do so on this forum by hitting a button.

Dixie Jones 2 years, 5 months ago

geekin_topekan 2 years, 5 months ago

The operation 100 report contains information not found in this JW report.

Is this cool wi/everybody?

grammaddy 2 years, 5 months ago

Before you morons get all caught up with in-fighting, maybe we should send prayers or well wishes to the injured. Geez. Must everything be a pissing contest?

cheeseburger 2 years, 5 months ago

'Two people were trapped and required extrication, their injuries were said to be critical,'

I see award-winning LJW writing begins at the top!

LogicMan 2 years, 5 months ago

Why do so many bad things happen at 2:15 a.m. in this town?

A wise person: "Nothing good happens after midnight."

somebodynew 2 years, 5 months ago

"Aside from that, I really can't make any more comments."

And you really did Not need to make that one, except to make yourself feel good and look big. And if I am reading between the lines, the article is correct, the police were first on the scene. .

Hope all recover.

Darwin 2 years, 5 months ago

Actually, I was first on the scene after I came across the 10-48 accident and reported it to our Dispatcher. Aside from that, I really can't make any more comments.