From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for Nov. 2, 1986:
An explosion had occurred early today at the Hadl Body Shop, 3401 W. Sixth. Elaine Hite, shop co-owner with her husband Ted, said that the explosion may have been caused by a faulty furnace. Neither the work area nor any major equipment had been damaged, but the force of the blast had blown out windows and doors and an interior wall. Fortunately, all vehicles receiving services in the shop had been delivered to their owners on the previous day.