Fire investigators have determined a Sunday morning fire that displaced a family in west Lawrence was an accident due to cooking on a grill.
No one was injured in the fire at the house at 2229 Rodeo Drive that caused an estimated $228,000 in damage, according to Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical.
Firefighters responded to the single-alarm call about midnight. When they arrived, fire engulfed the deck and spread through the roof of the one-story residence. Firefighters contained the fire about 12:30 a.m.
The Douglas County chapter of the American Red Cross provided assistance to the occupants of the home.