Advertisement

Archive for Saturday, May 28, 2011

100 years ago: New war monument to be dedicated at Oak Hill Cemetery

May 28, 2011

Advertisement

From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for May 28, 1911:

  • “Amid the swelling notes of a stirring national air played by the military band in Oak Hill cemetery tomorrow afternoon, flags will be drawn aside from a massive piece of marble, and there will stand unveiled the Co. H. monument to the memory of Twentieth Kansas volunteers who sacrificed their lives for their country in the Philippines.”
  • “The baccalaureate services of Haskell Institute were held at the chapel at Haskell yesterday afternoon. The room was beautifully decorated with vines of roses and presented a springlike appearance. The choir of twenty-two voices rendered several selections which were most pleasing and showed masterful training.”
  • “A fire-proof office building with a solid plate glass southern exposure facing a handsome brick and marble office building on the opposite corner are the latest plans for the opera house site. The purchase by Mr. Bowersock of an additional 25 foot frontage on Massachusetts makes this feature possible without any alteration in the theater plans. The new Bowersock building is made possible by moving the theater twenty feet further north. Entrances, exits, ground floor and front plans of the opera house will remain the same as previously announced and the fire-proof construction will not be interfered with. The entire building will have a hundred foot frontage and will be the largest single building on Massachusetts.”

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.