Archive for Friday, May 13, 2011

Lawrence Humane Society waiving adoption fees on cats to make room at shelter

May 13, 2011

Some kitties are looking for a new permanent home in Lawrence.

The Lawrence Humane Society has more than 200 cats at the shelter now. More than 150 are healthy, socialized and ready for homes, so the shelter is putting on a promotion: the first 25 cats 6 months and older that are adopted will be free.

Kayse Aschenbrenner, director of animal welfare, said adopters have to go through an application process to get the cats.

“We have quite a few cats that are still here from 2010, and a couple cats that have been here for almost a year,” she said.

Aschenbrenner said kitten season was starting, but they generally find homes much quicker than older cats.

“People don’t always come in to adopt the older cats,” she said.

Seven cats have been adopted under the promotion, which started Thursday.

“We’re hoping to bring lots of people out who maybe have been waiting to adopt a cat,” Aschenbrenner said.

Comments

alm77 3 years, 7 months ago

Adult cats are the best! Already litter box trained, quiet and usually loving. We've adopted two adult cats and they were pretty purrrfect. ;)

Beth Bird 3 years, 7 months ago

We adopted an old kitty from the shelter in 2002. He was wonderful and missed everyday. He passed away last year at the old age of 16+ (not exactly sure how old he was). This is a wonderful idea. I hope they find homes for all of the kitties.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 years, 7 months ago

Well, if it was up to me, I would bring em all home! But I already have 4 and I don't think we can feed any more or pay for the medical stuff. Our little grey tiger Gretle came from the shelter and she is a little sweetheart, we are very lucky to have her!

But I hope more people will consider adopting these kitties, they are very clean, usually box trained, and are great friends and pals. And you don't have to give a cat a bath (just try it!!) they keep themselves cleaned and groomed

If not, I would hope you might consider making a donation of money or supplies to the Humane Society, they can certainly use the help with all these cats and other animals. They do great work and should be actively supported.

Jessica Schilling 3 years, 7 months ago

As I type this, my Luna is sitting on my lap, purring and threatening to nudge the laptop off me to make more room for her. We adopted Luna about a year ago from the humane society, and though you can't put a price on love, I must say that her adoption fee was the best $40 I've ever spent. And to all you "don't adopt an adult cat" skeptics - Luna was a young adult when we adopted her, and the few behavior quirks have long since ironed out in the last year. What a sweetie.

Bunny_Hotcakes 3 years, 7 months ago

My mean, mean husband has a FIFO policy on cats. Which is probably good, otherwise I'd have a dozen.

Our newest cat came from the shelter. He was not quite a year old when we got him, and he's fantastic. Kittens are adorable, but are not the "set it and forget it" pet many people think they are. Older kitties are awesome! Get one! Hell, get two!

trekker 3 years, 7 months ago

I brought home 2 adults cats from the Lawrence Humane Society about 3 years ago. They are the best! We added another young cat from LHS this winter.