This season, American fashion is in the spotlight. Traditional shapes, dress styles and color combinations are making a huge comeback. Read on for some ideas to fill in any gaps in your spring and summer closets. You’ll be sure to return to these items time and time again.
Particular accessories are seasonal, but their style and purpose is so grand that we reinsert them into our wardrobes each year.
• A floppy straw hat is one classic summer essential. Be sure to pick one out that is sturdy — one that is just structured enough so it will be long-lasting. Although many straw hats are a lighter shade, I like darker colors like brown, too.
• Another timeless accessory? The perfect pair of tortoise-shell sunglasses. Pick a shape that complements your face shape. Typically, those with rounder faces look best in a square-shaped frame, and those with longer, rectangular face shapes look best in an oppositely shaped, round frame.
Living in Kansas, it is essential that we be comfortable dressing in layers. The weather is and will be eternally up and down. Adapt! Add lightweight clothing pieces to your closet that you can easily wear with a variety of other separates. I love loose-fit blouses with three-quarter length sleeves particularly.
• A navy blue and white striped blouse is a go-to piece, instantly adding bold pattern, clean lines and classic nautical style to your outfit.
• A white linen jacket is the perfect weight for cool spring days and summer evenings. White makes a strong statement, standing out in the hot sunshine. Wear your jacket with everything for skirts and wide-leg trousers to shorts and denim jeans. Right now, I am loving the short-suit trend. Pair your white linen jacket with matching linen shorts for a dressed-up, stylish spring outfit.
• Lastly, one wardrobe item that I am surprised to find lacking in the closets of both men and women is a well-made, button-up chambray shirt. Chambray is a great weight for warmer weather. A light-blue chambray shirt provides an excellent dose of soft color, and the shirt itself can easily be dressed up or down. A chambray shirt is for men and women of all ages, an essential clothing piece that can be worn and styled in endless ways.