Archive for Thursday, May 5, 2011

Tonganoxie man accidentally shoots himself while firing handgun in backyard

May 5, 2011, 12:54 p.m. Updated May 5, 2011, 4:10 p.m.

— A 23-year-old rural Tonganoxie man suffered a self-inflicted gunshot wound while shooting off his handgun Wednesday night in his backyard.

He was taken to an area hospital with a potentially life-threatening injury, Leavenworth County Sheriff’s reports said.

The man had drunk several beers with his girlfriend at his home about 3 1/2 miles east of Tonganoxie. As she took a shower, he went outside, reports said.

Two other residents of the home heard three gunshots, but they weren’t alarmed, reports said, because the man regularly fires his .45-caliber handgun in the backyard at night.

But the man came into the house, suffering from a gunshot wound below his chin that exited at the top of his forehead, reports said. He told the responding deputy that he had shot the gun, and officers are investigating the incident as an accidental shooting.

The man was in serious condition Thursday afternoon at Kansas University Hospital, a hospital official said.

The shooting occurred about 10:15 p.m.

Comments

Multidisciplinary 2 years, 11 months ago

ashamedofyou...here...sensible comments...

This number has been disconnected, or is out of service. Please check your number and try again.

tongie 2 years, 11 months ago

Pretty sure he had decided not to sign back up for the army from what I understand. He had only been out for like 6 months. I'm sure he saw a lot of messed up things in Iraq but everyone around here is so quick to judge, I guarantee if this was one of your family or friends it wouldn't be such a joke and you wouldn't appreciate all the comments being said about this young man. Some people really have no decency.

Paul R Getto 2 years, 11 months ago

Some of these comments are inappropriate and a good example of why stories like this should locked down for comments until all the facts come out. I hope the gentleman recovers.

budwhysir 2 years, 11 months ago

When I was in school, we used to have classes that covered basic grammar and spelling. While most of this information was usefull, I found it hard to sleep with everyone arguing the correct spelling and format of writting papers.

ashamedofyou 2 years, 11 months ago

I am SO confused. Is RedHalloween high? I can make zero sense of his posts? I guess i got lost in all the witty socialist and communist comments. Geeeez!

Randall Barnes 2 years, 11 months ago

hope he makes a full recovery for his baby's sake.hope his fiance is taking this o.k....he was due to be deployed in a couple weeks.... yes he had a family not just some backwoods drunk.

BorderRuffian 2 years, 11 months ago

Hope he didn't shoot his brains out - out on a sand bar where he might have poisoned the fishies and birdies.

Dan Blomgren 2 years, 11 months ago

autie 2 years, 11 months ago

riverdrifter (anonymous) says… Guy should've jumped in the shower with girlfriend. Lot more fun than a dirty ol' .45.

Just remember that water is the universal solvent. Sometimes that is great but sometimes it doesn't quite work out so well.

75x55 2 years, 11 months ago

Sounds like a drunk.

Certain things just don't mix with alcohol.

John Kyle 2 years, 11 months ago

sounds like a failed suicide attempt.

riverdrifter 2 years, 11 months ago

drewnon 2 years, 11 months ago

blue73harley 2 years, 11 months ago

Disappeareded, now back.

A Commie Zombie!

As if we didn't have enough trouble with Nazis.

Going for more ammo and booze...

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 11 months ago

Hehehe. Welcome back. Thanks for the chuckle.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 11 months ago

" I used to a reactionary capitalist TomShewmon but I have since made an amazing trip to Pyongyang and I am now reformed" Red

Tommy? Whit sent him off to the Siberian death camps weeks ago. Or, is he back?

Roland Gunslinger 2 years, 11 months ago

I keep waiting for the inevitable snicker to appear in RedOctober's posts.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 11 months ago

"anyway, when you are ready to face the reality of victorious Socialism, you will be most welcome there" Red

And I thought Autie was the ultimate Pinko Commie.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 11 months ago

"But your ignorance, racism AND old age are noted....what is this, 1950?"

Hoo Haa!!!

gsxr600 2 years, 11 months ago

What the.... I don't even...

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 11 months ago

"What was your old screen name?" Liberty

Hmmm. Seems familiar, but I'm drawing blanks right now.

"Just take firearms away from everyone. Military and police should have them and that's it." Red October aka Someone Who has been Disaperapepdpereed before.

Wow. The commie in this dude broke my commieomometer. You owe me, Ruskie.

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

Suspect a bit of PTSD here, but not my call . . .

tongie - Humor is just one of many ways we deal with the fragility of life. After a motorcycle accident (hit from behind by inattentive driver) many years ago a friend came to the emergency room I was in to check on me. My body was bruised black from my ribs to my toes, Three broken ribs, dislocated jaw, broken teeth, concussion, numerous cuts, abrasions and slipping in and out of consciousness, she asked me how I was doing. I have no memory of this but she said I kept motioning for her to get closer and closer until she was very close and I whispered through my twisted face," Never better! Wanna go get a soda?" Hopefully your friend and veteran will survive all of this and be joking about it himself.

RedOctober 2 years, 11 months ago

blindrabbit 2 years, 11 months ago

Best of luck to the victim; but Tongie ought to give up on their annual squirrel hunt. I wonder if this hunter went to a hunter safety class where a couple of beers were offered as refreshments.

Scott Morgan 2 years, 11 months ago

This reminds me of the story of No Nose Chebowitz an school buddy. Always loved to blow the smoke off the barrel of his six shooter after downing a pigeon or wild pig.

Big move with the chicks back in the day. Some still talk about blowing smoke.

Unfortunately, No Nose began shooting a semi auto, and well, some of this story is still up in the air. Chebowitz words after the accident were recently placed among the 12 K most worthless quotes. Oh my God does that hurt can you hear me, I can't hear you, oh my God.

Liberty_One 2 years, 11 months ago

Wow, high percentage of "This comment was removed..." on this thread.

50YearResident 2 years, 11 months ago

I can't imagine someone being able to talk after a horiffic injury like that, or walk back into the house. Iraq was not a good place to serve our country.

tongie 2 years, 11 months ago

For all of you that are making jokes out of this situation, this young man served our country and fought for all of you in Iraq. Show some respect. I for one hope he makes it. And to the person who says he didn't hit any vital organs. This young man is in intensive care and they aren't even sure if he will survive or not so yes it's serious.

consumer1 2 years, 11 months ago

scopi_guy 2 years, 11 months ago

Man walking down 6th street with his pants down: pretty funny Man walking into Dollar General with his pants down: funny Man with pants down striking woman in Dollar General: not funny, even though his pants are down. Man shooting himself straight through his head, regardless of how "smart" that may be or the circumstances leading up to it: not funny.

countrygirl 2 years, 11 months ago

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

79,999,999 gun owning citizens of the US did NOT get drunk and shoot themselves yesterday evening.

danmoore 2 years, 11 months ago

Kirk Larson 2 years, 11 months ago

The man had drunk several beers. The man regularly fires his .45-caliber handgun in the backyard at night. A gunshot wound below his chin that exited at the top of his forehead Apparently didn't hit any vital organ.

conservativejayhawk 2 years, 11 months ago

Gotta git me one a them stickers for my door that has that pistol with the red bar thru it. Yup. That'll keep them bad guys from botherin' me.

MarcoPogo 2 years, 11 months ago

Eride 2 years, 11 months ago

Stuff like this is why I would prefer not everyone own a gun.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

I have always had a horror of guns, although I grew up in a culture where they were commonly used. My younger brother used to fire guns for fun, I guess he enjoyed doing that. And then one night, I found him in the basement with all the lights out while he was handling a loaded gun. I knew what he was considering doing, it was obvious to me. We talked about it for a while.

Well, he didn't do it that night. Instead later, he used pills and alcohol and was successful.

A couple other friends also clocked out on the cosmic time clock the same way. Now they are gone, and I miss them very much.

And, yet one more friend did an amazing thing - he shot a bullet right through his chest and lived.

Those were all tragedies. They were not funny. In every case, upon careful consideration, their actions would have been very different, I am quite sure.

Guns are not toys. They are very often deadly.

And now we read: "the man regularly fires his .45-caliber handgun in the backyard at night."

I think something is totally wrong with our whole society and our attitude towards life and death. But, that's just my opinion.

autie 2 years, 11 months ago

Alf, I was in error.

As with many verbs of the pattern sing, sang, sung and ring, rang, rung, there is some confusion about the forms for the past tense and past participle of drink. The historical reason for this confusion is that originally verbs of this class in Old English had a past-tense singular form in a but a past-tense plural form in u. Generally the form in a has leveled out to become the standard past-tense form: We drank our coffee. However, the past-tense form in u, though considered nonstandard, occurs often in speech: We drunk our coffee.

Bob Forer 2 years, 11 months ago

lawrenceguy40 2 years, 11 months ago

Wot no photos? How do we know it was him? I'll not believe it happened until the messiah barry o tells us?

LogicMan 2 years, 11 months ago

greenworld 2 years, 11 months ago

I guess dumb luck in good luck. certainly sounds like lucky to be alive.

faceit 2 years, 11 months ago

autie 2 years, 11 months ago

"had drunk several beers"? Really? Does the editor know, best of knowlege, that drunk is only applicable to intoxication and not the act of drinking. The man had drank several beers. Unless this has changed since I went to school.

IgnorantYokel 2 years, 11 months ago

IgnorantYokel 2 years, 11 months ago

IgnorantYokel 2 years, 11 months ago

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 11 months ago

", suffering from a gunshot wound below his chin that exited at the top of his forehead, "

/consults my old anatomy book

Holy crap!