Archive for Friday, March 25, 2011

Accident at Hamm Quarry kills one

March 25, 2011, 6:10 p.m. Updated March 25, 2011, 7:46 p.m.

One person died Friday afternoon after an accident involving a semitrailer at the Hamm Quarry off of U.S. Highway 24-59 near Williamstown, northwest of Lawrence, Jefferson County Sheriff Jeff Herrig said.

Herrig said officers were called before 3 p.m. Friday and that the Kansas Highway Patrol was still investigating the accident as of 6 p.m. Friday evening.

According to a report from the Kansas Highway Patrol, 34-year-old Oskaloosa resident Luke Forsberg was crossing the parking lot from behind another truck when the semitrailer struck him. The incident occurred about 2 p.m.

Forsberg was pronounced dead at the scene.

Hamm Quarry was the site of an industrial fatality in October of 2010.

Comments

DillonBarnes 3 years, 8 months ago

"was crossing the parking lot from behind another truck when the semitrailer struck him. "
I'm somewhat confused, was he on foot and stepped out from behind another truck in front of the semitrailer?

RoeDapple 3 years, 8 months ago

Having retired from the trucking industry after 38 years I can tell you this kind of accident can happen in a crowded lot in a split second. Having been a witness to similar tragedies over the years my prayers are with all involved.

always4ever 3 years, 8 months ago

I didn't know Luke, but my son worked with him a few years ago. My heart aches for his wife and children and the other loved ones he left behind. My prayers go out to them.

perryproud 3 years, 8 months ago

Luke, you will be deeply missed. To Luke's family, our thoughts and prayers go out to all of you today and from here on. A great man was lost today and I'm glad I got the chance to know him.

Bobbi Reid 3 years, 8 months ago

My husband and I both went to school with Luke and Nate, our prayers are with the family tonight.

CoWorker 3 years, 8 months ago

Luke was a wonderful person and great inspiration. Kind and caring to everyone he met. My condolences to his family in this horrible situation.

Terry Jacobsen 3 years, 8 months ago

My heart and prayers go out to all involved.

Toto_the_great 3 years, 8 months ago

RIP Luke. You were a great guy. I enjoyed the time we spent together. My thoughts and prayers are with Robin and your family.

greenworld 3 years, 8 months ago

Isnt this like the 3rd incident that Hamms has had that led up to a fatality?? Boy I dont know about you but they need to slow down and be more cautious. Life to short to be in that much of a hurry. Remember safety over not worrying about it.

Deja Coffin 3 years, 8 months ago

Luke's sister is a good friend of mine and my heart aches for the whole family. This is such a tragic loss and I pray that somehow they can find some kind of peace in the days to come. No words can express my sympathy for them but I hope they know that they have the whole Jeff Co. community behind them.

softtail 3 years, 8 months ago

In ones life you meet a few really great people, an Luke was one of them. I'm thankful that I had the chance to work with an know him.