Archive for Thursday, March 24, 2011

Heard on the Hill: UPDATED: Parking director clarifies parking fee information; Alumni Association basketball rallies scheduled in San Antonio; KU Medical Center offers social media connections, too

March 24, 2011, 1:55 a.m. Updated March 24, 2011, 1:17 p.m.

Your daily dose of news, notes and links from around Kansas University.

• UPDATE: Originally in this spot I included a wrap-up of an article in the University of North Carolina's student paper that included some information about KU parking fees, saying that many had proposed increases.

I heard from Donna Hultine, KU director of parking and transit, today, and she told me that the UNC paper had botched some of her information. So I've removed my wrap-up of the article, and the link to it.

To clarify, nothing's been finalized for parking fees at KU, Hultine said. Though some increases have been proposed, these fees are still in the approval process.

The parking department has submitted different budgets that include varying fee proposals based on different scenarios (i.e. a "like to have" version and a "just squeaking by" version).

"Ultimately, the provost would have to approve any increases," Hultine told me.

She said she didn't know for sure when that could happen.

Second, though the parking department has proposed increased fees in some of its proposals, in no versions of its budget proposals does it include a new fee for buses, like the UNC article said it did.

Clearly, I should have checked this out before relying on another source's wrap-up, particularly on such a hot-button issue. I take this responsibility pretty seriously, and I messed it up this time. Though Hultine was kind, and recognized how the mix-up occurred, I think it's important to apologize to the parking folks at KU and to other readers for not getting this right.

I'll be following up on this issue soon to get better information, which is what I should have done in the first place.

This was also compounded by my speaking in a high school in the Kansas City area this morning, where I talked about what I do and why I do it. That's why it took until this afternoon to communicate with the right folks and get this bad information taken down.

I've experienced perhaps no greater boost to the ego than to speak to a room filled with engaged young people interested in what I do and answer their pertinent and insightful questions about it. And I've experienced perhaps no greater blow to the ego than to fail at what I do in front of thousands of interested eyeballs. So thanks for putting up with me, and I'll look to get more info soon.

• Another weekend of KU basketball means another weekend of KU Alumni Association parties in San Antonio.

This week’s rally will be from 3 to 6 p.m. on Friday. It will be outdoors at Sunset Station, 1174 E. Commerce, in San Antonio.

Drinks, food and KU merchandise will be available for purchase leading up to Friday’s 6:27 p.m. tipoff against Richmond in the NCAA tournament’s Round of 16.

If KU wins, they will play at either 1:10 p.m. or 3:55 p.m. Sunday, and the KU Alumni Association’s rally would begin three and a half hours before the game.

More details on all this stuff here, for those lucky fans traveling to the game this weekend.

• Though I don’t, unfortunately, keep up with things at KU Medical Center as much as I do in Lawrence, I did find a good social media guide to help you connect with folks over there.

Here it is.

Using it, I zipped over to the Clendening History of Medicine Museum’s Facebook page, and found a link telling me a bit about the history of desegregation at KUMC.

KU’s Lawrence campus has a social media guide, too.

I mean, how else would you find out that the Lied Center has a MySpace page? That, by the way, makes it the only KU entity (at least one that’s listed on the Social Media page) to have a MySpace page.

• I was in San Antonio when KU won the basketball title in 2008, and I can tell you it’s a great city to watch basketball. If you’re down there, let me know what’s going on at ahyland@ljworld.com. If you’re up here, feel free to let me know what’s going on, too, as always.

Comments

FormerCentralKansan 4 years, 1 month ago

Raising parking fees for employees who haven't seen a pay increase in nearly 3 years, thanks a lot KU.

Eddie Muñoz 4 years, 1 month ago

Add to that the mostly empty blue zone spots that replaced red zone spots that were always full on Memorial Drive, and you're going to have some unhappy folks.

Tammy Copp-Barta 4 years, 1 month ago

Why are they being raised? You charge huge amounts for tickets, don't take care of the parking lots when it's horrible, haven't added any new parking spaces .. WHY AN INCREASE?? You should really have to justify the need for more MONEY!!! It's already ridiculously high to have to pay for a "hunting" permit!!!

Kontum1972 4 years, 1 month ago

Guitarist - Robben Ford does a super rendition of this song...smoking guitar!

mrsm 4 years, 1 month ago

To answer the question of "sliding scale"- Parking does offer a Yellow Staff permit. It is a lot further of a walk, but if you want to save a few bucks, it is your best bet! Also, staff and faculty can purchase Park and Ride permits that are only $90 for the whole year. The downside to that is only being able to park at Park and Ride and ride the buses around campus- but again, if you want to save $$ it is an option.

TecmoSuperBowlChristianOkoye 4 years, 1 month ago

“More people are choosing to take the bus, so we’ll probably raise (permit prices), but not more than $10 a permit,” Hultine said.

I'd love to see some follow-up on this quote.

Didn't the students just vote for fee increases within the last few years so that the bus system would be fare free? It seems that the increase in people riding the buses was celebrated as a success of the program. Is re-instituting a bus pass you have to buy designed to drive those numbers down or just take advantage of the increased number of riders?

Maybe I'm misinterpreting the comment or am confused about the current system.

Evan Ridenour 4 years, 1 month ago

I agree.

This article is either completely misleading and another example of shoddy journalism by the Ljworld... or;

The KU director for parking and transit really did just inform a North Carlina newspaper first, of a plan to make KU students pay for bus service... when KU students already pay for bus service (fees, a very largefee) and are subsidizing bus service for the entire Lawrence population.

Regardless, this so called "newspaper" has once again failed at the novel concept of "journalism".

Evan Ridenour 4 years, 1 month ago

I would like to clarify one point.

This is not an attack on Andy Hyland. I am sure when he acquired his journalism degree he actually thought he would be a journalist and he would not be submitted to writing "articles" for a "newspaper" when he actually would be paid to write unsubstantiated blog posts.

This isn't some trivial piece of news. Students have paid millions of dollars of fees to the bus service and are on the hook to pay millions of dollars more. If the head administrator is planning on trying to milk us for even more... that is actually news! That is actually something you should... I don't know... find out specific details on and... I don't know... maybe write an editorial?

Be a real journalist?

Be a real newspaper?

ahyland 4 years, 1 month ago

All,

The critiques of the shoddy levels of journalism applied in this case are spot on, and I take full responsibility. Please see the update above.

Andy Hyland