Archive for Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Power restored to nearly 2,000 Westar Energy customers in downtown Lawrence

Westar Energy crews repaired equipment on a transformer at Sixth and Tennessee streets Tuesday, March 22, 2011. A bird flew into the transformer, knocking out power to over 1,900 Westar customers for about 90 minutes.

March 22, 2011, 7:58 a.m. Updated March 22, 2011, 9:02 a.m.

Power was restored to more than 1,900 Westar Energy customers in Lawrence about 9 a.m. Tuesday.

The power went out shortly after 7:30 a.m., according to the utility's website.

The outage was concentrated in and around the downtown area. Unconfirmed reports on Twitter reported a loud bang — consistent with a blown transformer — in the area of Westar's substation at Sixth and Tennessee streets.

A Westar crew member at the substation told LJWorld.com that the outage was likely caused by a bird that flew into the transformer.

Comments

Scott Morgan 3 years ago

birds fly into jet engines, birds knock out power grids, deer kill motorists, recluse spiders dig big holes in our grandmas, lice get in peoples pants, maybe it's payback time.

thebigspoon 3 years ago

Maybe it was killed somewhere else and put there to throw the police off track ?????

kusp8 3 years ago

The bird flew into the transformer because of SuNsPoTs!!!!

persevering_gal 3 years ago

My condolences to the bird lying on the ground in the video and to his/her family. I'm surprised the police let anyone near the investigation area after a possible bird homicide. Last I heard was that an eye-witness and a possible suspect is in the area. They had wires attached to its head and was last seen wearing a grayish outfit with bling that read "danger". Police are still waiting on an autopsy.

GSWtotheheart 3 years ago

ROFLMAO at the comments...you guys rock!

Keith 3 years ago

That was no bird, that was a little lost UFO from Liberty Hall.

TheYetiSpeaks 3 years ago

Bird suicide village: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jatinga

Alleged bird suicide sounds a lot more like US Airways murder: http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2010/03/us_airways_flig.php

Transformer failure stats from Australia and New Zealand....why?....WHY NOT!!!: http://www.lordconsulting.com/technical-papers/transformers/179-failure-statistics-transformer-and-bushings-design-review

A handy little blog on when to blame George W.: http://blamebush.typepad.com/

Bikini girls!: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/view/229163/

Fear my mad, Merrill copy and paste skillz!

Pywacket 3 years ago

KansasPerson~ As a cousin, you are no doubt just as trashy as your Darwin-award-winning relative, so are in no position to judge his detractors.

I seem to remember his name from his fledgling days, and he was no good then! Always divebombing younger nestlings and trying to impress the chicks with his speed and recklessness.... Gorging on fermented berries before going out on wild flying sprees.... I bet he was totally wasted when this accident happened.

Like others, I'm just glad he didn't take out an entire innocent flock with his irresponsible behavior. If he hadn't ended up frying himself, he should have been caged, for the good of society. He was one bad egg.

Jillster 3 years ago

I bet it was a bird from Topeka.

svenway_park 3 years ago

Wasn't any old bird. It was a Raven. Just ask Sven.

somedude20 3 years, 1 month ago

Your goose is cooked! I bet the homeless are now eating that bird with a fine wine talking about higher gas prices and Libya.

optimist 3 years, 1 month ago

It was an eerie site. I was driving east on 6th street coming up on Ohio when my son and I saw the horizon light up in a green-blue hue. It was extremely bright, like lightening originating from the ground. I forgot the substation was there but knew right away that it was the color of an electrical arc but with an intensity that I had never seen before. It was a sight to behold.

My first concern was that someone might have gotten hurt (other than the bird of course) so I am thankful that wasn’t the case.

KansasPerson 3 years, 1 month ago

I am a cousin of the bird in question. Thank you for all your prayers, the family really appreciates it. As for those of you who don't have anything better to do than suggest that the bird was speeding and texting, all i can say is you don't know what your talking about, if you knew him you'd know better than that. People who get on here and talk trash about the inocent when they have lost their lives. I bet you cant even fly

cheeseburger 3 years, 1 month ago

The Journal-World generally does not release the identity of the suspect until he'/she is officially charged.

ranger73 3 years, 1 month ago

bet the bird was speeding and texting...just saying...

ranger73 3 years, 1 month ago

bet the bird was speeding and texting...just saying...

jstthefacts 3 years, 1 month ago

TheYetiSpeaks 3 years, 1 month ago

How insensitive! This poor bird's family probably doesn't even know what happened. Much love and prayers to the bird and it's family. And I know the Journal World generally doesn't publish transformers' names in cases of murdered birds but I think that needs to change. Lawrence needs to know who this wanton killer is! .....and before anyone even says it....I'm pretty sure this is George W's fault.

Kontum1972 3 years, 1 month ago

poor bird........bet his family sues