Wheel Genius: Road work planned this week
• On Monday, city crews will begin working on part of 18th Street near Arkansas Street. Repair work should last for several days. Traffic will not be able to go east on 18th Street from Naismith Drive or north on Arkansas from 19th Street.
• City maintenance crews will begin a microsurfacing program on Monday. Roads throughout the city will be repaved and resurfaced. Lane reductions and possible street closures may occur during the process. To find out what streets the city has targeted, visit the city’s website at www.ci.lawrence.ks.us.
• On Kasold Drive between Clinton Parkway and 31st Street, both directions of traffic have moved to the southbound lanes of Kasold. Each direction is narrowed to one lane as crews work to rebuild the roadway. Access from side streets is right-turn only. The project is expected to last for several months.
• From 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. weekdays, Indiana Street will have no parking and is closed to through traffic from Sixth Street to Eighth Street and Third Street to Sixth Street.
• 16th Street from Massachusetts to New Hampshire streets is closed to through traffic as crews work on a sanitary sewer project. Intermittent closures will occur on 15th Street from Massachusetts to New Hampshire.
• On Tuesday, the city of Eudora will close N. 1300 Road, also known as White Dog Road, which is just east of Route 1061. The road will be closed for improvements.
• Douglas County Road 9 is closed between U.S. Highway 24-40 and Interstate 70. The road will be closed so crews can work on bridge construction. It will remain closed until late spring.
• A section of East 1950 Road about one-third of a mile south of Douglas County Road 460 is closed for culvert replacement.
U.S. Highway 59
• North 200 Road is closed at U.S. Highway 59 for frontage road construction work. The road will be tied to the new frontage road that runs parallel to the new U.S. Highway 59. Work is scheduled to be completed in late 2012.
U.S. Highway 56
• On Monday, a bridge replacement project will begin just west of the U.S. Highway 75 junction in Osage County. About .44 mile west of the junction, both eastbound and westbound lanes of U.S. 56 will be closed to all but local traffic. A marked detour will take drivers through Burlingame to Osage City and then back to U.S. Highway 7. The project is expected to be finished in mid-June.
• Kansas Turnpike Authority is reconstructing a three-mile stretch of highway just east of Lawrence. Traffic will be narrowed to one lane in each direction from mile marker 208 to mile marker 211. Access to the Lawrence Service Area will remain open. Delays are expected during rush hour. The project will be finished by November.
• A bridge replacement project is under way for the 142nd Street bridge spanning the Kansas Turnpike in Leavenworth and Wyandotte counties. The northbound and southbound lanes on 142nd Street will be closed between Kansas Avenue and Riverview Avenue. The stretch of road will remain closed for the duration of the project. As part of the project, daily lane closures could occur on the eastbound and westbound lanes of I-70 and the right shoulder of the road. The project should be complete in late fall.
• Between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Monday, the westbound and eastbound lanes will have varying closures from the east turnpike toll entrance to Auburn Road so crews can sweep the barrier walls and shoulders. The work should finish on Monday.
• On Monday and Tuesday, the northbound and southbound right lane will be closed from U.S. Highway 69 to Interstate 435 for pothole repair work. The lanes will be closed from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• The northbound Lamar Avenue access to southbound I-35 will be closed for bridge repair work around the clock Monday through Friday. The work should be completed by Friday.