Archive for Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Kansas Rep. Virgil Peck apologizes for illegal immigrant, feral hogs remark

March 15, 2011, 1:16 p.m. Updated March 16, 2011, 12:24 a.m.

Rep. Virgil Peck makes comment about using hunters in helicopters to battle illegal immigration

State Rep. Virgil Peck, R-Tyro, said Monday it might be a good idea to control illegal immigration the way the feral hog population has been controlled -- with hunters shooting from helicopters. He later said he was just joking, but that his comment did reflect frustration with the problem of illegal immigration.

Rep. Virgil Peck

Rep. Virgil Peck

— Under pressure from his party leaders, a Republican state legislator Tuesday apologized for saying that perhaps the state should consider using gunmen in helicopters to control illegal immigration like it does for feral swine.

But condemnation for the comments made by Rep. Virgil Peck of Tyro continued to roll in.

The largest and oldest Hispanic civil rights organization called on Peck to resign immediately from office.

“Rep. Peck’s comments about shooting immigrants and likening them to hogs are an outrageous dehumanization of hardworking Kansas residents,” said Margaret Moran, president of the League of United Latin American Citizens.

“His despicable comments set a new low in the hostile and xenophobic political attacks against American’s immigrant communities.”

Peck issued a two-sentence apology Tuesday.

“My statements yesterday were regrettable,” he said. “Please accept my apology.”

Peck’s apology was released by e-mail less than one hour after Gov. Sam Brownback, also a Republican, criticized Peck and said he should apologize.

Ashley McMillan, executive director of the Kansas Republican Party, was seen visiting with Peck in the Statehouse Tuesday.

On Monday, Peck said that he was joking but that his comment did reflect frustration with the problem of illegal immigration.

Peck made his comment during a discussion by the House Appropriations Committee on state spending for controlling feral swine.

Peck said the state might consider controlling illegal immigration the same way it uses helicopters and gunmen to shoot and kill wild pigs.

“It looks like to me that if shooting these immigrating feral hogs works maybe we have found a (solution) to our illegal immigration problem,” he said.

The committee chairman, Rep. Marc Rhoades, R-Newton, said Peck’s comment was inappropriate.

Asked about his comment on Monday, Peck was unapologetic. “I was just speaking like a southeast Kansas person,” he said.

That statement drew criticism from two other southeast Kansas legislators.

“With our rich coal mining history, southeast Kansas is the melting pot of our state,” said Rep. Bob Grant, D-Cherokee. “I have no intention of letting Representative Peck brand me with his own extremist views just because I live in the same region.”

Rep. Doug Gatewood, D-Columbus, said, “We want to make it absolutely clear to the people of southeast Kansas that we absolutely do not share Representative Peck’s point of view.”

House Republican leaders issued a statement saying that Peck’s “spontaneous” remark was made in jest but still inappropriate.

“His acknowledgment of his error, his apology to the public and his House colleagues, and his pledge to be more vigilant and respectful in his discourse is appreciated and accepted,” the statement said.

Comments

hail2oldku 3 years, 9 months ago

Does Mr. Peck have a first name????

"My statements yesterday were regrettable. Please accept my apology," Peck, R-Tyro, said in a written statement.

hail2oldku 3 years, 9 months ago

Much better now that you have the full story posted. It is quite irritating when you grab something off the wire and rush it to the online addition with a bunch of errors and/or missing information.

BTW - not all people from SEK are as bass-ackward and bigotted as this guy.

Adrienne Sanders 3 years, 9 months ago

Apologizing the day after you refused to apologize... doesn't make a very good impression.

Bananajoe 3 years, 9 months ago

......Specially after the Governor make you do it.

ralphralph 3 years, 9 months ago

Aren't we all sensitive and self-righteous ...

He's right about the Federal Gub'munt FAILING to adopt and enforce a rational immigration policy, you know. The result is that people get frustrated and tend to take it out on each other, since they are practically powerless to do anything to sway those in D.C to do their bleeping jobs.

beatrice 3 years, 9 months ago

The numbers don't lie. More people should know this about the Obama administration. Well done Jesse.

ralphralph 3 years, 9 months ago

The number deported is not really the issue, and it predates Obama substantially.

The issue is that we don't have a reasonable policy to allow in a reasonable number of people -- whether temporarily or permanently -- and we have not consistently enforced the bad policy that we do have in place.

To say that the Obama Admin is doing better than its predecessors is no huge claim ... What would impress me is if they came up with a way to make the Federal Government address the issue honestly and put in place a system that respects both the interests of the nation and the humanity of the people involved. That isn't going to happen, because, like the Admins that preceded them, they are, at heart, political whores.

Massive failure of the Federal Government to do its job -- by adopting and enforcing a rational policy ---- punishes the nation and families on both sides of the border.

Kontum1972 3 years, 9 months ago

so what percentage of these people deported were actually criminals or drug dealers..you know the scrum we really dont want running up and down our streets?

obtw i have actually shot people from a helicopter .....one year of it i was 20 at that time and i still have dreams about it....Dak To/Kontum...and Cambodia

lynzi 3 years, 9 months ago

OH YEAH! Deport them so they can just walk or swim right back over! Good idea!

3 years, 9 months ago

I believe you wrote "rational" when the term "radical" would have been more appropriate.

Aren't you glad that radical immigration policies were not in effect when your ancestors tried to come to America to make a better life for their families?

And who says it's the job of 'those in D.C." to enforce radical immigration policies? I can't find that anywhere in the Constitution . . .

Rich Noever 3 years, 9 months ago

@ralphralph, my last comment was posted in the wrong area! I agree with you!

Jeff Plinsky 3 years, 9 months ago

Dear Rep. Peck,

Your statement was more than regrettable. It suggested the use of organized violence to eliminate a specific group of people. When other countries do this, we call it ethnic cleansing, and we condemn it.

We do not accept your apology.

Sincerely, The citizens of Kansas

yankeevet 3 years, 9 months ago

Some of us accept your apology; but none required.............................

Majestic42 3 years, 9 months ago

Dear IllTeachYou, You don't speak for everyone. Peck's comments were unacceptable, but we are a civilized country and I for one accept his apology.

Sincerely, Me.

Jan Rolls 3 years, 9 months ago

I don't. The racist only apologized because the gov told him to do it.

Majestic42 3 years, 9 months ago

Well bully for you, do you want a cookie?

christy kennedy 3 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, he's not sorry for how he thinks, he's sorry for saying it in public and getting in trouble for it. A forced apology from someone that hateful means nothing.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 3 years, 9 months ago

3 years, 9 months ago

Well, there's a certain amount of truth to that, unfortunately.

Appears the Republican party of Kansas is attempting to give South Carolina a run for its money in stupid politicians. Man, if only our governor would take a hike... just dreaming.

dchance_pname 3 years, 9 months ago

How exactly did Obama make fun of handicapped children? Since when does a simple mention of the Special Olympics (in light of one's own poor performance in a sporting event constitute "making fun of."?

jafs 3 years, 9 months ago

In fact, Obama was making fun of himself.

But, I think it was a poorly chosen joke, nevertheless.

equalaccessprivacy 3 years, 9 months ago

"Handicapped" is demeaning, politically incorrect language mainly used by those whom brighter and more socially aware people would call somewhat intellectually challenged if they didn't constitute nearly the whole population of places like KS and MS.

Rich Noever 3 years, 9 months ago

@equalaccessprivacy, Stick a cork in it clueless!

Matt Needham 3 years, 9 months ago

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." -Isaac Asimov

Second amendment solutions are unacceptable in America.

equalaccessprivacy 3 years, 9 months ago

No wonder force rather than rational speech and logic seems to be favored by the people over at Strong Hall and the KU HR Department then. They know local politics and law enforcement are so corrupt and dishonest they'll be able to get everyone to submit to their appalling lies and poor excuses for professional conduct. What kind of school is so uncivilized they don't even bother trying to pretend to adhere to legally required grievance procedures?

I love this quote! It should be displayed prominently all over town.

yankeevet 3 years, 9 months ago

Promote him................no apology needed................

yankeevet 3 years, 9 months ago

I just love this!!!! lol.................

beatrice 3 years, 9 months ago

What is it exactly that you love about this? Had the "joke" been about shooting evangelicals, would you take the same tone?

roadwarrior 3 years, 9 months ago

we have an illegal evangelical problem too now ? wow, I had no idea.. thanks for enlightening me beatrice ! sheesh ! illegal population has increased, 1%....guess where it has not ? arizona...where the numbers decreased by....wait for it, 8.1 %.

dontcallmedan 3 years, 9 months ago

After reading this comment, I must go shower.

Corey Keizer 3 years, 9 months ago

That's real courageous. making inflammatory comments like that as an anonymous poster. Don't you belong on 4Chan?

somedude20 3 years, 9 months ago

A scorpion asks a frog to carry him across a river. The frog is afraid of being stung, but the scorpion reassures him that if it stung, the frog would sink and the scorpion would drown as well. The frog then agrees; nevertheless, in mid-river, the scorpion stings him, dooming them both. This is the outlook that Brownback and Peck share and we will all suffer for it. Hey Peck/Brokeback, do you think your God and your Jesus would want you to shoot their creations because they are on his land?

citizen4honor 3 years, 9 months ago

Get a life people. Liberals say vile things all the time and it never gets media attention. Lighten up.

Majestic42 3 years, 9 months ago

That's of course assuming they're trying to make a better life for their family.

Alyosha 3 years, 9 months ago

Can you provide factual support for your generalization? If not, why did you post it?

BlackVelvet 3 years, 9 months ago

I'd bet he made his post because (some) liberals make the same generalizations w/o any factual support. Will you call THEM out for doing it as well?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 9 months ago

It'd be a game of pin the tail on the jackass. But which one is the bigger jackass?

dchance_pname 3 years, 9 months ago

The thing that worries me is the subsequent "clarification" that he was "just kidding". like there really was the possibility he was serious about shooting non-violent humans from helicopters.

This moron should resign immediately.

citizen4honor 3 years, 9 months ago

Really Yes. What about this video? Where was the media reporting on it?

"this vile racist spewing was NOT videotaped at a tea party event — it was a left-wing event in California. Demonstrators at a “progressive” rally in Palm Springs called for SCOTUS Judge Clarence Thomas to be hanged, strung up, tortured, body parts removed, and sent back to the fields. Death threats against a black conservative judge, made by liberals who knew they were being filmed.

Age of civility, Democrat-style." http://www.frugal-cafe.com/public_html/frugal-blog/frugal-cafe-blogzone/2011/02/03/vile-racist-spewing-from-left-wingers-want-to-hang-black-conservative-scotus-judge-thomas-media-silent-on-liberals-racism-video/

Majestic42 3 years, 9 months ago

Those are just crazy radicals. people who say offensive things on the right obviously speak for the entire ideology. [sigh]

beatrice 3 years, 9 months ago

A radical mob on one hand; an elected official on the other.

What is the similarity again?

citizen4honor 3 years, 9 months ago

It was an inappropriate remark. Liberals say things like this all the time. I say let's give fair coverage. Again Wake up. Watch the video I just posted. Then comment.

How could anyone take his remark seriously?

pace 3 years, 9 months ago

Liberals say things like that ALL the time? They say illegal immigrants should be treated like feral hogs and shot from helicopters. Gosh you hang with nasty rough and criminal bunch of racist liberals. What a wacky sense of humor. They probably belong to a different liberal group than I know. I would hate to see your conservative friends, underground private militia or cartel, or pirates? I don't think we should excuse this behavior from this person because some people of one persuasion or another say inappropriate stuff. Virgil is responsible for what he said.

citizen4honor 3 years, 9 months ago

Thank you for making my point ablout the nasty stuff liberals say all the time. Nothing you said was positive.

pace 3 years, 9 months ago

You want lies, but I don't approve of liberals or conservatives saying people should be shot. You think if one person says hateful and incitement things then it is ok that he does.. I don't agree with that reasoning. You are saying I'm being nasty when I am negative about your argument, that is not being nice. Should I smile and say, ho ho ho , yeah shooting the immigrants, that is a real knee slapper. Then later frown. I don't agree with your argument but I don't think you should be shot for making it. I could of been more genteel in stating what I thought of your argument but no, disagreeing with the basis of your argument is not nasty. Instead of chiding me for my tone, you might consider what I said. Should he be held responsible for what he said even though ((you think) others aren't being held to a standard? I think he should be responsible for what he said.

beatrice 3 years, 9 months ago

c4h, if this story were about ugly remarks made by people at a tea party rally, then your video would be an applicable comparison. It isn't. It is about an elected official, someone who is intended to represent the greater population. He even said as much in his initial response. If anything, you should be upset that he is now apologizing. He was willing to stand behind his words yesterday, but today he is playing the part of the scolded underling called into the governor's office for a spanking. You are giving him more credit than he obviously gives himself. Why is that?

jonas_opines 3 years, 9 months ago

Hey, why worry about this at all when we could just yelp about loosely correlated, not quite similar occurrences by people of different political persuasions to make it seem better or draw attention away?

trinity 3 years, 9 months ago

i'm glad this buffoon is not my rep. oh wait-bill otto is my rep, they're peas in a pod. long deep sigh. somebody wake me up when brownose's reign is over. i can't take it.

Grump 3 years, 9 months ago

OK teabaggers and bible thumpers, is shooting illegal immigrants from a helicopter what Jesus would do? Please reply with lengthy, out-of-context biblical quotes. I'll give extra credit for quotes that you think are in the bible, but aren't.

Corey Keizer 3 years, 9 months ago

According to his website he's pro-life. Obviously he's only pro-life when it comes to Americans, and not "Other" humans.

Majestic42 3 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, Grump. He speaks for ALL Christians. [sigh]

MyName 3 years, 9 months ago

Ah well, that's actually more than I expected out of the guy.

trinity 3 years, 9 months ago

good ol' boys club gone awry. heh-the cheap western thing, makes me think they all star in those "yellafella" commercials!

pace 3 years, 9 months ago

Virgil probably wouldn't think it a joke if people said he should be shot. He should not only resign he should be charged. As an elected official and since he remarks were made during public meeting, he should be charged. A joke has a punch line, not a target. Inciting to violence isn't a joke.

QuinnSutore 3 years, 9 months ago

At my house, trespassers will be shot on sight. You may allow them to come in yours, eat your food, drain your savings, and take your healthcare.

I defend my country like I defend my house. No way, Jose.

yankeevet 3 years, 9 months ago

Hoorah; spoken like a true american patriot!!!!!!

beatrice 3 years, 9 months ago

Quinn is a liar, or he would be in prison already. He has never shot an immigrant on sight, but he does write boldly on the internet. Do you really believe true American patriots are liars?

Bananajoe 3 years, 9 months ago

Translation: Hoorah; spoken like a true american bigot!!!!!!!

pace 3 years, 9 months ago

Good example of why Virgil should resign. We don't need legal representatives of state government giving verbal license to shooting and murder. Ironically Virgil is also voting to cut money to community services for the mentally ill. Racism is probably a mental disorder.

roadwarrior 3 years, 9 months ago

there are some, when hearing a warning siren, form a committee to adjust the tone. Sorry Jose, you must enter my house by knocking on the door not climbing through a window.

maxjay 3 years, 9 months ago

All this ohhahaaa in a country built by immigrants..!

whats_going_on 3 years, 9 months ago

Oh pullleeeaseeee. The only reason he or anyone else in the spotlight (politicians, celebrities, etc) "apologize" for ANYTHING is because they got caught...not because they actually are sorry. Just trying to save face.

OnlyLawrenceRepublican 3 years, 9 months ago

I'll repost over here. I couldn’t find a direct link, but here’s Rep. Peck’s purported quote from 2006 about shooting dogs.

“My frustration from what I understand about this bill, if you have a dog that you cannot keep it in your proximity or you just decide you want to kill it or dispose of it, country people we just take ‘em out and shoot ‘em.”

“I’ve been known in the past, after several attempts, to just dispose of the dog one way or the ‘nother, well I’m concerned that this may be far reaching, that the fellow, the neighbor gets upset cause his dog comes up missing, I don’t know what happened to it, well I actually do, but, so that’s a little concern I have as a country boy. You know I’m not the one that’s ‘spose to be asking questions you folks are.”

jayhawklawrence 3 years, 9 months ago

I tried to find out about Virgil Peck's educational background but this information was suspiciously missing.

It appears that he is one of the people we are relying on to manage and fund our Kansas educational system.

And now they want to get rid of the Board of Regents and the Kansas Department of Education....

Who are these people and what are their real qualifications? Very scary stuff.

Stuart Evans 3 years, 9 months ago

Feral Hogs and Illegal immigrants are more useful than religious bigots.

Soapbox 3 years, 9 months ago

What a crock! Keep telling yourself .....I know whats good for everyone else....get some Lexapro

hughes_89 3 years, 9 months ago

to nugget and whoever else thinks the way you do: just because he's from SEK doesn't mean we all think that way...Does every single Iraqi want to destroy America? doubt it... Some people on here would be absolutely mortified if I judged them by what Obama says...and others would feel the same if I judged them by what Bush said...just keep that in mind...

pace 3 years, 9 months ago

I have a lot of friend in SE Kansas and have visited. Decent hard working people, fine neighbors. Most people recognize the absurdity of his "excuse" .

yourworstnightmare 3 years, 9 months ago

jayhawklawrence 3 years, 9 months ago

If this guy had any concept about the suffering that illegal immigrants have had to endure and their children, he would never in a million years be able to say what he said.

yourworstnightmare 3 years, 9 months ago

Yes, he would. It's called hate and nativism, which breeds a lack of empathy and a dehumanization of the "other".

jayhawklawrence 3 years, 9 months ago

Isn't that the point where Republicans don't get it.

You cannot have immigration reform without empathy. You cannot govern without it.

We need a comprehensive solution and a guy that jokes about shooting them from helicopters tells us a lot about the tone of these discussions.

In spite of this unbelievable stupidity, it must be said that neither political party seems to have the guts to tackle the immigration problem other than to use it to get votes.

Soapbox 3 years, 9 months ago

yourworstnightmare 3 years, 9 months ago

This has the feeling of parents taking their child over to a schoolmate's house to apologize for calling her a poopyhead and pulling her pigtails.

The Kansas GOP or grade school children?

atavism 3 years, 9 months ago

This 'Peck' guy is barely literate. As someone indicates above: buffoons like this are in charge of the state's budget and law making. If we the the people are the government, and the government behaves like a bunch of uneducated, anti-intellectual morons, who don't even have the good sense to keep their bigotry quiet, what does that say about us?

Katara 3 years, 9 months ago

"My statements yesterday were regrettable. Please accept my apology," state Rep. Virgil Peck, R-Tyro, said in a written statement." ~~~~~~~ That is not an apology.

sr80 3 years, 9 months ago

Did anyone notice the ad from google on the wild hog hunt in texas??

Boosh 3 years, 9 months ago

I am glad Jon Stewart is on vacation. We're enough of a laughing stock as it is.

This Peck r is right up there with Georgia's Rep. Robby Bobby Franklin.

Majestic42 3 years, 9 months ago

So you're advocating violence. Bully for you.

Soapbox 3 years, 9 months ago

Saddle up all you fake people.....they call them illegals because they are. If I committed murder, I would be a murderer. His comments aside..........round them up and ship them out!!! I am unwilling to support them ........so sorry, I'm so sorry!

dontcallmedan 3 years, 9 months ago

Ken Lewis 3 years, 9 months ago

Instead they will send those helicopters to strape a KS strip club.

Boosh 3 years, 9 months ago

Soapbox they are here because so many companies rely on them to keep there costs down.

I primarily see people say things like you just did. And when someone brings up the real reason they are here they quietly tap their keyboard...uh yeah they should fine 'em or sumthin

So what do you propose be done with those that employ illegal immigrants. Keeping in mind that they knowingly recruit and hire illegals.

Boosh 3 years, 9 months ago

Also keep in mind the House just stalled the illegal immigration bill in the Judiciary Committee.

libra101 3 years, 9 months ago

And keep in mind that states like Texas needs illegals so badly that their recent immigration legislation imposed penalties on employers hiring illegals, unless they were household help or landscapers. Can't do without the nannies, maids and gardeners.

whats_going_on 3 years, 9 months ago

someone shot him from a helicopter.

Total accident. They were just hog hunting.

hwarangdo 3 years, 9 months ago

Unless Virgil has First People blood in his ancestry, he needs to shut up.

Peacemaker452 3 years, 9 months ago

Is that another one of those fake names for indians?

Erin Graham 3 years, 9 months ago

I wonder if Forrest Knox is one of the lovely southeast Kansans that agree with him...

Erin Graham 3 years, 9 months ago

(^ I'm questioning Knox, not the general population of SEK.. I'm from there originally. People living in that district may have an idiot speaking for them, but they're not inhumane.. vicious, people. Though there's always a few backwards souls peppered amongst any population..)

kelku688 3 years, 9 months ago

That is disgusting that they are accepting his apology. He should be removed immediately from office. I have no faith in Kansas anymore. The quicker I leave this state the better.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 9 months ago

Apology is meaningless!!!!

But at least he has put Kansas in the national spotlight......

whats_going_on 3 years, 9 months ago

it already is, thanks to the pigs from topeka

jaywalker 3 years, 9 months ago

So many morons in government.......how's it happen? Where's fheir filter? Doesn't something that idiotic register in these guy's pea brains before it spews from their pie holes? Get him out of office. Someone this stupid shouldn't be paid by a single taxpayer, let alone operate a motor vehicle.

whats_going_on 3 years, 9 months ago

How does it happen?

Morons in America. And money.

Beelzebub 3 years, 9 months ago

When will morons like this Peck guy stop doing and saying things that make this state look like a bunch of hicks? Illegal immigrants are just a convenient target (oops) for people's frustration. Low wages? Blame the wetbacks! Banks and financial services industry robbing the country blind? Blame....uh...Obama! Teenagers drinking and having sex? Blame the godless liberal pinkos! Right on! (Now, fork over that campaign contribution Koch brothers)

kernal 3 years, 9 months ago

So, we still want to get rid of the illegal immigrants, which everyone considers to be primarily from Mexico. Let me remind you what having the illegals in the USA does for you: 1) Takes on all those menial jobs that our citizens think are beneath them (honest labor is not beneath any person); 2) Cheap illegal immigrant labor equals cheaper prices for our food, construction costs (read less expensive housing for all of us) and other consumer services; 3) ...............

Oh, nevermind. I've beat thisdead horse so many times, the hide is turning to dust.

andrew55 3 years, 9 months ago

Horse hockey...dookey...crap...didley squat...bullsquat

Hong_Kong_Phooey 3 years, 9 months ago

How is it that Mexico treats illegal aliens? Oh, that's right. Illegal aliens are routinely beaten, robbed, raped, and murdered by the citizens of Mexico because they don't want them. Meanwhile, if the U.S. tries to implement a stricter immigration policy - wholly aside from this idiotic statement by Rep. Peck - we are bashed for being "racists," "xenophobic," etc. It is Interesting how no one ever discusses what happens south of the border...

3 years, 9 months ago

Two wrongs do not make a right -

sr80 3 years, 9 months ago

Classis liberal defense ! By the way how is everything at NPR!

beatrice 3 years, 9 months ago

HKP, are you suggesting that no illegals are ever beaten, robbed, raped or murdered here in the states? If so, you are mistaken.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 3 years, 9 months ago

Aah, the classic "why don't you go there" reaction... Disappointing, but not unexpected.

People, you all need to quit reading assertions into the comments of others. Jesse - and others - please point out exactly where I stated that Mexico is so great? To the contrary, my comment highlights that Mexico is not great. My comment alludes to the hypocritical attitude displayed by pro-immigration groups - both in the U.S. and Mexico - where they decry Americans who are against the endless flood of illegal immigration as "racist." These folks are mad that America doesn't just allow anyone citizenship that wants it, yet do nothing to improve Mexico's attitude and actions toward immigrants.

beatrice 3 years, 9 months ago

Being against a certain group of people is one thing, suggesting shooting them from a helicopter is another.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 3 years, 9 months ago

Stay on topic, Beatrice. This strand is not about Peck's comments.

notaubermime 3 years, 9 months ago

It horrifies me that you think the US should be compared to Mexico.

jonas_opines 3 years, 9 months ago

Heck, it's been that way with terrorists and Middle Eastern dictator states since 2001. As long as we can say that we aren't as bad as them, it's apparently all that we need to strive for.

notaubermime 3 years, 9 months ago

Yes, everything is okay as long as we don't behave like dictators. For instance, we would never use trumped-up 'emergency powers' to override the democratic process: http://www.detnews.com/article/20110310/POLITICS02/103100375/1022/local/Financial-manager-bill-passes-Michigan-Senate

3 years, 9 months ago

Rep. Peck is entitled to believe and feel as he wishes.

However, he was elected to be in service to ALL the people in his district -

Someone with views such as this should not hold public office.

(hitting that horse one more time)

akt2 3 years, 9 months ago

In the meantime encourage your kids to take Spanish for their foreign language credits.

BigPrune 3 years, 9 months ago

It's certainly unfortunate there is a bad apple in every bunch. It's also unfortunate the liberal press enhances their reporting on Republican bad apples and turns a blind eye on the Democrat bad apples -front page-Republican, last page-Democrat.

jesse499 3 years, 9 months ago

Well when the illegals take over this country in another few years they'll have him shot anyway.

jaketh 3 years, 9 months ago

Latino & Hispanic population are the fastest growing segment of our American population. There will be more people of mixed races or brown people in the US by 2030. We can either deal with realities & stop alienating specific groups of people. Or in 20 years, they will remember how they badly they were treated. Then, who knows, how they will react. Lets not throw the baby out with the bath water.

jesse499 3 years, 9 months ago

There getting everything free without paying taxes are are having to prove there legal now how much nicer do we have to be. You go to a government agency and try to get help with out ID and see how far you get .You can't even ask them!

jesse499 3 years, 9 months ago

Sure get tired of people who can't come up with anything but the race card I've got more friends from other races then my own.But you know what they think that people should go about things the legal way to.So if being a racist means I think people should abay the law then I are one.If your saying anything else you can KISS MY***

Grump 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm sure that Peck's intentions are good, and he's just trying to keep the Mexicans from imposing Sharia law on us.

oldbaldguy 3 years, 9 months ago

Anybody ever been to Tyro? I have. Pike will probably be reelected. Not because he is a peckerwood but because he represents that district well enough that he beats his opponents. What happened to the Democratic Party in Kansas? The state needs a competent and vigorous opposition party.

pace 3 years, 9 months ago

This was an unapology apology. Very poorly done.

yourworstnightmare 3 years, 9 months ago

Ferrell Hoggs? Isn't he a state legislator from southeast Kansas?

roadwarrior 3 years, 9 months ago

The Secure Communities project has identified 240,000 illegal immigrants convicted of crimes, according to DHS figures. Of those, about 30,000 have been deported, including 8,600 convicted of what the agency calls "the most egregious offenses." http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/25/AR2010072501790.html

Melinda Black 3 years, 9 months ago

I can't believe this elected official was joking about using genocide as a remedy... what kind of person thinks that is funny?

BTW, this story isn't going away. CNN picked it up: http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/03/17/kansas.rep.immigrants/index.html?hpt=T2

Thanks Peck for giving people one more reason to think Kansas is full of idiots.

Jaminrawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Awesome that we have such classy folks representing us in Kansas these days ...

Richard Heckler 3 years, 9 months ago

Bust and fine the employers for promoting crime! It's the employers It's the employers It's the employers

Peck is keeping Kansas in the national spotlight on every source of media imaginable.

RESIGN V. Peck the entire nation knows who you really are!!!!