Archive for Monday, March 14, 2011

Former KU AD Lew Perkins to serve as assistant on girls basketball team

March 14, 2011

Former Kansas University athletic director Lew Perkins will be an assistant girls basketball coach at Seabury Academy next season, the Journal-World has learned.

Perkins will assist varsity girls coach Becky Bridson.

“When the opportunity came to accept Lew as an assistant for my girls program, it was a very easy decision for me,” Seabury athletic director Eric Nelson said. “He’s seen some good basketball, and he can help us get better.”

Perkins took over for Al Bohl as Kansas AD in 2003. Perkins announced his retirement on Sept. 7, 2010, with Sean Lester serving as interim AD for a few months. New Kansas AD Sheahon Zenger, previously of Illinois State, took over on Feb. 1.

Perkins’ daughter, Amy, served as admissions director at Seabury in 2007-2008.

Before Kansas, Perkins served as athletic director at Connecticut (1990-2003), Maryland (1987-1990), Wichita State (1983-1987) and South Carolina-Aiken (1969-1980).

“Lew’s a personality for sure,” Nelson said. “He’s a very nice guy. If my coaches don’t ask him for advice, they’d be crazy. He’s so genuine. My feeling is, if I have a coach who needs some advice with a kid, he’d be a great resource for our coaching staff.”

Nelson said the Seahawks players already have met Perkins and are excited to welcome him for next season.

Seabury Academy is a private high school in west Lawrence. The Seahawks participate in Kansas State High School Activities Association Class 1A athletic programs.

Comments

bretherite 3 years, 9 months ago

At first when I saw this I thought it was a early April Fools joke. As the proud parent of a graduate of Seabury who I struggled to keep there with the escalating tuition cost, I want to say I am shocked, appalled and totally dismayed that my annual contribution to the school will be going to pay the salary of a crook. Bad form on the part of the administration. Will he be smoking his stogies during practice or actually being part of the team? VERY VERY SAD DAY IN SEAHAWK HISTORY. I can think of one other horrible hire on the part of the administration -Maybe two but this really takes the cake.

BUt Lew how the might have fallen - bet noone gives you any exercise equipment when you are an assistant coach to a girls 1A basketball team.

BigPrune 3 years, 9 months ago

now, now............Love thy neighbor. Your kid doesn't go there anymore.

Obviously he is more than qualified. I bet he's doing it for free after all the bucks he was bringing in at KU.

Maybe the Lew/Mangino rift was religious in nature :) I know lots of Protestants that absolutely hate Catholics. Typically it's based on falsehoods and lies.

bretherite 3 years, 9 months ago

My child may not go their but they sure want my money every year for their capital campaign. I get letters yearly asking for money. IF they can afford Lew they obviously don't need my money

bretherite 3 years, 9 months ago

Seabury is a PRIVATE school. Trust me my former tuition bills prove that as well as their annual campaign asking for more money. Not this year gang. If you can afford Lew you don't need my donation. I will put it to good use like the Campaign NOT to elect Sarah Palin fund.

I have been a huge supporter of Seabury for over ten years and they have gotten thousands of dollars from me. Guess my checkbook will be getting a break

Nevertheless 3 years, 9 months ago

This is a joke, right? When did the Journal-World start running stories from "The Onion"?

bretherite 3 years, 9 months ago

Thanks for bringing this point up. Isn't he still under some kind of investigation?

hesshawk 3 years, 9 months ago

won't be long before the parents of the players are moved to the worst seats in the house, because they didn't contribute extra to the school's capital campaign. Sounds like a story from sportspickle.com !!!

katekilla 3 years, 9 months ago

This is like the setup to a very bad movie. Of course, nobody in Hollywood is huge or weird-looking enough to play Perkins.

goob 3 years, 9 months ago

maybe he can teach them to recruit better

lawrence267 3 years, 9 months ago

Geez, he's probably not getting paid. No reason to freak out and not support a school.

not_that_crazy 3 years, 9 months ago

Perhaps you missed it above, but per KSHAA, there are a lot of limits on "volunteer coaches." It is particulary true in this area where you could get KU althetes to coach for free at an unfair advantage to more isolated areas of the state.

rgh 3 years, 9 months ago

My guess is he'll take the pay and turn around and donate it right back to the school, but you are correct with the KSHSAA part and volunteers.

Steve Jacob 3 years, 9 months ago

Gee people, it's not like he's a registered sex offender. He's probably doing this for free, so no big deal.

cruxpitch 3 years, 9 months ago

Lew Perkins approached Bishop Seabury about this and is doing this for free. Try giving him and Seabury a break. It is not costing Seabury a dime and he has plenty of talent and experience to give to these young ladies and the program. Someone tries to do something nice and everyone wants to get pissed off.

irvan moore 3 years, 9 months ago

with what he knows about womens basketball i don't see how this could be perceived as anything but a great hire, i mean, he picked Bonnie to be the KU coach didn't he?