Archive for Friday, March 11, 2011

Governor Sam Brownback asks Kathleen Sebelius for Kansas Medicaid waiver

March 11, 2011

— Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback is asking Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius to grant the state greater flexibility in using a federal grant for Medicaid programs.

Brownback, a Republican, wrote this week to Sebelius, who was Kansas governor before taking the federal appointment.

Brownback is requesting latitude in how Kansas administers health care programs to poor and disabled residents. The governor says the increasing costs of Medicaid and meeting federal requirements have driven up the state's budget.

Brownback says Medicaid spending in Kansas rose from $1.8 billion in 2002 to $2.4 billion in 2008. However, since increased federal requirements took effect in 2008, that spending has jumped to $2.8 billion in 2010.

About 345,000 Kansans receive Medicaid.

Comments

thinkagain 3 years, 9 months ago

What? Do the Koch brothers need insurance or something else that would require a rule waiver? We're taking away a portion of the KS EITC from the poor. Are we going to mess with their other safety net as well? Oh my. Not very Christian.

question4u 3 years, 9 months ago

Hold on a minute, Brownback is only using common sense. His economic plans will create greater numbers of Kansans below the poverty level. He has to find a way to cut back on Medicare costs, since more will qualify. The increased revenue that he can chisel from the poor by changing the EITC isn't going to be enough to offset those costs. How can he achieve the main objective on his Kansas roadmap, more prosperity for the wealthiest Kansans, unless he is allowed to squeeze the poor?

douglas6280 3 years, 9 months ago

Let's see Kitty Kat Sebelius has already granted over 1,000 waivers so far. It looks like we have a problem with this poorly thought out legislation.

truman1902 3 years, 9 months ago

This is the office of Health & Human Services helpline...Estimated wait time due to anticipated heavy volume is 20 months! Press ONE for Medicaid Waiver Requests..Press TWO for withdrawal procedure applications from government health care reform..Press THREE for Snowballs imported from HELL..Press FOUR for all other inquiries..Your call is very important to us..Please stay on the line and we will respond to your pathetic, hat in hand, whiney administrator wanting to divert government $$$$$ from intended uses to those more in line with red state government tax breaks for the well-heeled, Guardians of the Christian Values debate (which evaporate once the baby is out of the womb), buttoned-up-billowing bilge of bombastic proportioned political rhetoric,--------sometime AFTER the November elections in 2012!!! Or just log on to our website www.you'vegottobekidding.gov/getreal/...

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 9 months ago

I read this one out loud to the hubby. We both ROFL'ed.

Mary Darst 3 years, 9 months ago

Very well said....and very sad as well.

QuinnSutore 3 years, 9 months ago

Absolutely right, Sam. They don't pay in, the taxpayers don't pay out.

Health care is a luxury earned like any other, and the only ones complaining are those who are unwilling to do for themselves.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 9 months ago

"....the only ones complaining are those who are unable to do for themselves" Fixed.

QuinnSutore 3 years, 9 months ago

Oh, right, I forgot no one is empowered and we're all victims to the big bad scary bills.

I swear if people spent half as much time earning money as they do complaining about having none, we'd be the richest country on Earth.

pace 3 years, 9 months ago

the GOP were right, there are death panels , they just forgot to mentions it was what the GOP were planning for the poor in Kansas. I really resent multi-billionaires sending the anonymous ads about the demon workers. Kochey suggest we complain to Obama about working families sucking the tax moneys by wanting a pension after working 40 years. How many pensions checks will be needed to buy flowers for the Koch's celebration.

Tab 3 years, 9 months ago

Here's a thought: tighten up the requirements to be considered disabled and not as many people would get Medicaid. I am all for Medicaid where it is NECESSARY. My mom had a brain anyuerism and needs full time care and financial help...she is TRULY disabled. BUT.......I am so tired of seeing or hearing of people that are deemed "depressed" or "psychologically damaged" and can't work. Most of these people are out there coaching their friends and relatives of how to "act" so they can get approved when they go to get evaluated for disability. I have first hand knowledge of this type of happenings. It is absolutely disgusting that they scam the system, not to mention that the "Professionals" can't see through this or just turn a blind eye. Anyone can "act" depressed, so why not follow them around for a day or two and see all the shopping, gambling, night clubbing that they do....while they are drinking, drugging and smoking their cigarettes.
TIGHTEN THE REQUIREMENTS FOR DISABILITY AND SAVE BILLIONS OF DOLLARS!!!

Christine Anderson 3 years, 9 months ago

Excuse me!!! My severely autistic son has received, does now receive, and will continue to need Medicaid the rest of his life. And no, it's not because either of his parents are bums. It is because of the magnitude of services he will always need. Some of you make me sick. If you lose your jobs, lose your insurance, and your kid(s) need medicine or medical attn., and you do not have the money in your pocket to pay for it, then come back on this thread and make your holier-than-thou comments. Until then, shut up.

Tab 3 years, 9 months ago

misplacecheesehead, I hope this post isn't directed to me.....I understand and absolutely respect the NEED for Medicaid when it is necessary. I do respect truly disabled people, as I noted- my mother is disabled and will be for the rest of her life. My post is focused to the true bums that are scamming the system and coaching their family members on how to get away with it so they can be deemed "disabled" as well. I have personally reported two of these types of people because they are just pure lazy. They take pride in what they get away with and brag about it. Those are the people that sicken me. Their deceit affects the people that really need help.
Best to your son, Tab