Archive for Friday, March 11, 2011

Don’t forget to spring your clocks forward on Sunday for daylight saving time

March 11, 2011

Look on the bright side — an hour is lost this weekend, but the sun will stick around later than normal.

Daylight saving time officially starts at 2 a.m. Sunday, which means Lawrence residents will lose an hour overnight. Clocks should be set forward an hour.

That means the sun will rise about 7:30 a.m. and set about 7:30 p.m.

We’ll return to Central Standard Time at 2 a.m. Nov. 6.

Amy Savoie, general manager of WheatFields Bakery Cafe, 904 Vt., said she had written notes to hang up in the store reminding employees of the time change.

“Everybody is used to waking up early here,” she said.

It’s Savoie’s first daylight saving time working at WheatFields, so she’s curious to see how it affects Sunday’s early-morning crowd.

And while you’re moving your clocks forward an hour, officials at Lawrence Douglas County Fire Medical suggest you also change the batteries in you smoke alarms. They recommend changing the batteries once a year.

Comments

MyName 3 years, 9 months ago

Arrrgh! Screw you Daylight Saving Time! I hate you and everything you stand for!

CrystalKU 3 years, 9 months ago

UGH! That means I'm getting up at 4 on Monday.

topeka52 3 years, 9 months ago

Uhh Crystal, does that mean you usally get up at 3 AM??????

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm sure glad I never bothered to reset the clock in my car last spring.

Because if I had, I'd just have to do it all over again this spring!

kernal 3 years, 9 months ago

What Ron said. Since standard time is only in effect five months, why bother?

Charles L Bloss Jr 3 years, 9 months ago

I HATE these time changes. Why can't they choose one or the other and leave it there? I have to change 15 clocks every six months, and have to find the manuals for many of them since they are all different, and I can't remember the directions. Just leave the time alone.

jafs 3 years, 9 months ago

Yep.

Or, split the difference and set the time in between.

cowboy 3 years, 9 months ago

Get ready for two weeks of cranky people

shotgun 3 years, 9 months ago

Does anybody really know what time it is?

Does anybody really care?

blindrabbit 3 years, 9 months ago

For people working a regular daylight job who also enjoy working and playing outdoors, it is the greatest day of the year. For those not so inclined, it has no real effect other than adjusting their circadian rhythm somewhat and griping about a loss of sleep. The original purpose of DST is inconsequential, but the impact on our social lives is huge. Yahoo!

KansasPerson 3 years, 9 months ago

I work a day job and I like playing outside too, but I really don't like getting up when it's still dark. I'm a morning person, but I require at least some color in the eastern sky before I'm convinced it's morning.

BruceWayne 3 years, 9 months ago

can I spring it far enough forward Brownback will no longer be in office?

somebodynew 3 years, 9 months ago

Bruce,

Unfortunately I think you would need a time machine for that, not a simple clock change. But, could you throw in Oneal also??? Then it might be a winner.

average 3 years, 9 months ago

My question is, since we have "daylight saving" for 7-3/4 months of the year, and "standard" for only 4-1/4, maybe we should stop calling Standard Time the "standard". It's not like either of them are terribly connected to solar noon for most people.

I propose "Winter Sucks Time".

Richard Payton 3 years, 9 months ago

Here comes the Sun .... Here comes the Sun ..... It's alright!

StanTrekell 3 years, 9 months ago

This is also the time of year to replace the batteries in your smoke detectors. Fire safety officials suggest that reusing the 9-volt battery in other non-safety devices is perfectly acceptable, but do not be tempted to reuse them in other household safety devices. My personal suggestion is to install a top-quality, brand-name alkaline battery only.

classclown 3 years, 9 months ago

You're supposed to change your battery in your fire alarm with the time change. Since Arizona, Hawaii, and parts of Indiana do not switch to Daylight Savings Time, when do people in those states change their batteries?

blindrabbit 3 years, 9 months ago

Remember, Einstein said "as you approach the speed of light, time slows down". Consequently, do not change your clock too early, or you will cause the 2012 apocalypse event too occur too soon.

KansasPerson 3 years, 9 months ago

I love standard time. I suppose I could stay on standard time and just pretend I have to go to work at 7 a.m. instead of 8, but I suspect that would be weirdly stubborn of me.