City commissioners will consider taking the first step to creating a Neighborhood Revitalization district for a new downtown office building for Treanor Architects.
Lawrence-based Treanor Architects is proposing to relocate its headquarters to a vacant building at 1040 Vt. The building would be renovated and a second story would be added. But Treanor is asking the city to rebate a portion of the new property taxes the improved property would pay. The city could use the Neighborhood Revitalization Act to rebate a portion of the property taxes. Under the plan, Treanor would continue to pay all the property taxes that currently are assessed on the building. But the city would rebate a portion of the tax bill that is over and above the current amount. Treanor is proposing that 95 percent of the new taxes be rebated initially, and that the rebate amount gradually falls to zero by 2022.
• Issue a proclamation about this Thursday’s 24th annual St. Patrick’s Day parade.
• Approve commission minutes from March 1 and 8.
• Receive minutes from boards and commissions.
• Approve claims.
• Approve licenses recommended by the city clerk’s office.
• Approve appointments recommended by the mayor.
• Consider these bid and purchase items:
a. A bid date of April 5 for roof replacement at the traffic building, 445 Miss.
b. Award bid for two full-size pickups for the public works department to Olathe Ford for $22,676 each.
c. Apply the city’s local purchasing policy and award bid for one half-ton pickup for the finance department to Laird Noller Automotive for $19,977.
d. Award bid for phase one of the 2011 overlay program to Little Joe’s Asphalt Inc. for $474,189.94.
• Adopt on first reading an ordinance amending eligibility criteria for serving as a member of the Electrical Code Board of Appeals.
• Consider rezoning about 0.27 of an acre at 313 E. Eighth St. from RM24 (multi-dwelling residential) to CN1 (inner neighborhood commercial), submitted by John Flanders for R&B; Holdings LC, property owner of record. Adopt on first reading an ordinance rezoning the property.
• Consider rezoning about 3.47 acres at 4000 W. Sixth St. from PCD (planned commercial development-Monterey Center) to CN2 (neighborhood commercial center), submitted by Allen Belot for Monterey Partners, LLC, property owner of record. Adopt on first reading an ordinance rezoning the property.
• Approve a special-use permit for a drive-through window in a retail center at 4000 W. Sixth, submitted by Allen Belot, for Monterey Partners, LLC, property owner of record. Adopt on first reading an ordinance approving the permit.
• Approve a special-event permit for sale of Final Four merchandise from a tent at 2300 La. between March 27 and April 10, submitted by Gene Wayenberg, Sun Creation, with permission of 2300 Louisiana Co., LLC, property owner of record.
• Approve a license agreement to install a small retaining wall within the right-of-way behind the curb at 333 Johnson Ave., requested by Diane Trybom.
• Authorize the mayor to sign a letter of support for efforts to have Lawrence designated as a Runner Friendly Community.
• Approve as community interest, a request from Friends of the Lawrence Public Library to place signs in various rights-of-way in an area bounded by Sixth and Ninth and Massachusetts and Tennessee streets between April 8 and 12.
• Consider these items related to the Lawrence Community Shelter, 944 Ky.:
a. Receive second quarterly report regarding the status of fundraising and construction progress for the Lawrence Community Shelter’s new permanent facility.
b. Consider renewal of a special-use permit and a request to increase the maximum occupancy year-round from 57 people to 82 people for the shelter, submitted by the shelter for James Dunn, property owner of record. Consider adopting on first reading an ordinance to renew the permit and increase the occupancy.
• Consider these items regarding Neighborhood Revitalization areas in Lawrence:
a. Consider referring the draft Neighborhood Revitalization Act policy to the Public Incentive Review Committee for review and comment.
b. Consider referring to the Public Incentive Review Committee a proposal by Treanor Architects to establish a neighborhood revitalization area at 1040 Vt.; set a meeting for 4 p.m. March 29 for the committee to consider the proposal; set a public hearing for April 5 to consider the request.