Archive for Thursday, March 10, 2011

Eudora speeding ticket dismissed for jurisdiction violation

Overland Park resident Andrew Koepke talks about a speeding ticket he received from the City of Eudora. Koepke fought the ticket in court, arguing that a city police officer could not issue the ticket because the stretch of road where the incident happened is under county jurisdiction. Koepke won his case.

March 10, 2011

Eudora police recently gave Overland Park resident Andrew Koepke a speeding ticket coming into Eudora on old K-10. Koepke later found out he was outside city limits, where city police had no jurisdiction.

On the street

Have you ever gotten a speeding ticket? How fast were you going?

Yeah, 45 on Mass. Street. I was late to work.

More responses

An Overland Park man’s successful fight against a speeding ticket in Eudora Municipal Court has exposed an oddity on the city’s eastern boundary near a new elementary school.

And city and police officials say they are acting to correct an honest mistake that centers on a quarter-mile section of County Road 442 — also East 10th Street — that was never annexed into the city, even though portions of the road to the east were.

Eudora Municipal Court Judge Randy McCalla last month dismissed a speeding ticket against Andrew Koepke because McCalla said municipal court did not have jurisdiction to enforce the ticket. Koepke raised the issue — and several others because he says he wasn’t speeding — at a February trial.

County maps Koepke found show the portion of East 10th Street as it leaves Eudora just east of Ash Street is not in the city limits. But farther to the east, the area from Peach Street all the way to Kansas Highway 10, including the new Eudora Elementary School, is in the city limits.

It’s on the portion of the road that’s in the county where Koepke says he was pulled over Aug. 27.

Koepke was driving west heading into Eudora, was stopped by a police officer and told he was driving 50 mph in a 30 mph zone. Koepke says the stop took place while he was still in the county.

“The officer didn’t know where he was allowed to enforce the law. For how many years have they been collecting money illegally?” Koepke said.

City leaders contend a mistake was made by the previous city administration a few years ago. Police officers had been told the road was within the city. Officials also denied that tickets were issued for monetary gain.

“That is absolutely false. Our police department does not issue tickets for revenue,” said City Administrator John Harrenstein, who was hired in October 2009. “They issue tickets to maintain safety.”

Eudora Police Chief Grady Walker, who was hired a year ago, said the department was operating under information city hall had given it three years ago: That the city’s boundary stopped north of the road and not to the south.

“It was a bubble,” Walker said.

He said Eudora has an agreement in the works with the Douglas County Sheriff’s office to give his officers permission to patrol that section of County Road 442, even though it’s not the city. Tickets would have to be written through Douglas County District Court, though, Walker said.

Koepke said the situation still baffles him, and he wonders how many other people paid their tickets without contesting them, even though the municipal court might not have had jurisdiction. After the dismissal, the city returned Koepke’s $90 fine and $60 court fee.

“If you’d gotten a ticket, wouldn’t you like your money back?” he said.

Jeff Heiman, Eudora’s city prosecutor since 2005, said Koepke’s case was the first he can recall in which the jurisdiction issue was brought up. But he said many cases are handled without a trial, either through dismissals or a no-contest plea. He also said generally there’s a time limit — such as 10 to 14 days — when someone can file an appeal.

Harrenstein said the city wants to ensure the area can be patrolled.

“In one sense, we’d like to thank the individual for bringing forward the issue,” Harrenstein said, “so we can rectify it and ensure that there’s good governance going on.”

Comments

sr80 3 years, 1 month ago

panties in a bunch or panties in a wad.Which is the proper usage? I don't think anyone is wearing any !!

purplesage 3 years, 1 month ago

"The city doesn't write tickets for revenue --"

I don't believe that statement. Nothing further.

macon47 3 years, 1 month ago

the jerk was speeding he got a ticket he found a loophole and got out of it but he is still a jerk what is the big deal? i wish i could get out of a ticket, (if i ever got one) in lawrence all you have to do is be a drunk ku student, kill some one, drive away and show up the next day, and you get a weekend in jail what is the diff?

Soapbox 3 years, 1 month ago

Yes, brother it is you and me against the man.

notyourmom 3 years, 1 month ago

Isn't the speed limit for a highway in the county 55? So he wasn't speeding at all? If this isn't a city road, the city can't change the speed limit. And he wasn't doing anything wrong at all. I'm glad we have guys like this around to keep our government officials honest and within the confindes of law. And I love cops.

highfire 3 years, 1 month ago

I live in the city of Eudora, and just got pulled over and the cop was a jerk, it was out by the new Baptist Church, but the officer put it right when you hit the city of eudora speed limit. HE then told me 3 times that he did not radar me but it looked like the way my headlights were shaking coming off the hill that I was going 45 in a 30, okay so it is a gravel road, and the road was wet, I was driving a little ford ranger, cant figure out how someone can determine the speed by the way my headlights shake, but, got a ticket for it, and it stated that I got the ticket right when the gravel hits the pavement, which I know for a fact I was not going 45 there, if I was doing 45 there I probably would have lost control of the truck from switching to gravel to pavement. So, got a 150 dollar ticket for the way my headlights were shaking. HMMM, should I fight it? OH and the officer wrote on the ticket that he radared me, which he told me 3 times that he did not radar me, and it just looked like I was going that fast, okay that was a mile away from where the cop was sitting, he must be MAGIC if he can read my speed by my headlights. SHOULD I FIGHT IT????

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 1 month ago

bcman deserves a Klondike Bar. LOL.

jafs 3 years, 1 month ago

It's a strange situation, if closer in towards the city has a higher speed limit than farther from it.

The obvious solution would be to keep the speed limit low in both places.

mr_right_wing 3 years, 1 month ago

Before you go mouthing off to an officer if you were to get stopped in this area; make sure it's not the Douglas County Sheriff, they DO have jurisdiction anywhere in the county. A State Trooper can pull you over just about anywhere. If you gotta have an 'attitude' just be careful who you get it with. (Or, crazy idea...just be polite and compliant; if 'they' are wrong, get it fixed in court.) Being nice to an officer with a gun and/or taser is always a good idea!!

A bit of a black eye for Eudora PD.

distant_voice 3 years, 1 month ago

Koepke weaseled his way out of the ticket because an officer in the wrong jurisdiction stopped him. The limit is clearly posted and he was going 20 mph over the posted speed limit NEAR A SCHOOL!! Our laws are completely worthless when they let jerks like him off the hook! Good thing a city officer didn't arrest some thug for selling drugs to elementary school children, or he would have gotten his "get out of jail " card free, just like this ass.

gccs14r 3 years, 1 month ago

It's getting to the point that we all need to run our own surveillance cameras so that we can prove in court via video documentation that we were not doing what the police said we were doing.

Esq2eB 3 years, 1 month ago

Well, if the court lacked jurisdiction, double jeopardy didn't attach, refile the ticket in the county.

sherbert 3 years, 1 month ago

The article states that 'Koepke raised the issue — and several others because he says he wasn’t speeding' I think they the city should have to go back and refund all tickets given illegally in that area.

akt2 3 years, 1 month ago

hootman31 3 years, 1 month ago

Just FYI, this has been going on for at least 2 years. If fact I brought it to the attention of city hall and Grady, the current police chief (he wasn't at the time), that the city cannot be enforcing county code thru the city, as it was out of their jurisdiction.

The incident involved a lady friend, driving alone, supposedly running the stop sign at the end of 10th street coming off 10 Hwy at the east Eudora exit.

At the time I was told by Grady that in no uncertain terms, that all of east 10th street is in the city limits of Eudora.

I can’t be the only one that has brought this to their attention in the past.

My friend did not pursuit this any further fearing repercussions, and paid the ticket under protest.

So not only are they writing tickets, but my friend claims that she actually stopped at the sign.

This makes multiple times the police in Eudora have been caught abusing their authority, bordering on police intimidation.

Will anything be done?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 3 years, 1 month ago

He "won"? Sounds to me like he was inconvenienced at least as much as the ticket would have been.

compmd 3 years, 1 month ago

Maybe the clowns in Eudora should try reading the law. Any agreement to have municipal officers patrol highway outside city limits is invalid and unenforceable if said municipal officers have not been deputized by the sheriff.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 1 month ago

Superior schools, city owns power company, clean, geographically excellent for commuting, population moving upwards, affordable housing, .................... Yes, I would agree Eudora is out of step.

Seriously, a small town which supports a half Chinese half Mexican restaurant is pretty cool. Reminds me, need to take the drive and grab some carryout.

jstthefacts 3 years, 1 month ago

macon47 3 years, 1 month ago

big deal, another jerk beat the cops out of a traffic ticket he better NOT come back thru eudora

the_overnighter 3 years, 1 month ago

Seems like to me the system worked. Hope Eudora fixes the problem soon because it's the safety of the children that is importnant here.

akt2 3 years, 1 month ago

You can bet that the problem will be rectified. They say an agreement is already in the works. Maybe the next time some Jo Co know it all comes thru at 50 in a 30 their ticket will be handed to them on a silver platter.

Floyd Craig 3 years, 1 month ago

well eudorka has to pay for all those new schools some how

Brian Hall 3 years, 1 month ago

"Koepke said the situation still baffles him, and he wonders how many other people paid their tickets without contesting them"

Because most people don't have time to waste sitting in court just to get back $150. Maybe this was worth his money but I feel people in this situation need to pick their battles. I got pulled over in Colorado just 3 miles from the Kansas border and was given a $152 ticket for driving in the left lane on I-70. The sheriff explained to me that it was illegal and that there were signs posted. No there weren't. I checked. But I am not going to drive back to Colorado to go to court in Burlington to fight it.

My friend got pulled over on West 23rd in front of McDonald's for going 50 in a 35 but the officer wrote down the address on the ticket as 1100 Block of East 23rd (which would be near 23rd & Haskell) and the speed limit there is 45. I urged him to go to court to fight it because he can argue he was "only" driving 5 over or that the cop is an idiot but he didn't and ended up paying $200 or something.

Anyway, I'm glad Koepke feels justified that even though he was speeding in front of an elementary school and was probably a huge jerk to the officer who pulled him over (which probably resulted in the ticket, not the actual speeding), he was able to point out a HUGE flaw in the system--the poor annexation of county roads. God bless you, Andrew Koepke.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 1 month ago

If you're driving 20 mph over the posted speed limit, and a train leaves St. Louis heading Southwest traveling at an average of 60 mph how many extra feet does it take to stop the train?

local_vocal 3 years, 1 month ago

Speeding is still speeding. Running a red light with a camera is still running a red light. He did "win" or is it "winning" (a la C. Sheen) his court case, but the question remains? Do you want people driving 20MPh over the speed limit in front of your home? Which is almost double the posted limit. Its not a money issue, its following the laws and being safe.