Archive for Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Tennessee couple arrested in Lawrence in connection with the 2009 death of their baby daughter

March 9, 2011, 11:56 a.m. Updated March 9, 2011, 4:25 p.m.

Ryan Lee Robert Davis

Ryan Lee Robert Davis

Larissa Renee Davis

Larissa Renee Davis

Lawrence police detectives early Wednesday arrested a couple wanted in the 2009 death of their young daughter in Tennessee, prosecutors and police said.

According to Douglas County Jail records, officers arrested Ryan Lee Robert Davis, 34, and Larissa Renee Davis, 23, around midnight on warrants out of Sullivan County in Tennessee.

Julie Canter, a Sullivan County assistant district attorney, said a Tennessee grand jury indicted them both Tuesday on charges of first-degree murder, aggravated child abuse and aggravated child neglect.

Canter said the two are accused in connection with the death of their daughter, Izabel Davis, who was less than 1 year old and died at a Tennessee hospital Nov. 6, 2009. Sullivan County Sheriff’s officers had been investigating the girl’s death for more than a year.

“The investigation was ongoing, and the charges were not brought until yesterday,” Canter said.

She said prosecutors could not provide additional details about the case.

Sgt. Matt Sarna, a Lawrence police spokesman, said an outside agency Tuesday asked for officers to assist in finding the couple. They were arrested without incident at the Howard Johnson hotel, 2222 W. Sixth St.

Jail records list a North Lawrence address for Ryan Davis, and Larissa Davis as a Lawrence transient. Canter said the couple in the past had resided in Kingsport, Tenn.

Sarna said the Douglas County Sheriff’s office assisted police in helping them locate the couple. Sarna also said the suspects do have ties to the Lawrence area and were not believed to be running from authorities.

Sullivan County Sheriff’s officials contacted the Douglas County Sheriff’s office in February of 2010 and asked for assistance in locating Ryan and Larissa Davis, said Steve Lewis, a Douglas County Sheriff’s spokesman.

Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson said the couple likely won’t appear before a judge in district court here until Thursday afternoon.

In Douglas County District Court, the couple would have to choose whether to contest or waive their extradition to Tennessee to begin the legal process there.

Comments

gr 3 years, 9 months ago

kthxbi 3 years, 9 months ago

SoundMind 3 years, 9 months ago

gr 3 years, 9 months ago

Well please help me. Tell me what the difference is.

kthxbi 3 years, 9 months ago

I will help you find a good Cognitive Behavioral Therapist.

candyapplered 3 years, 9 months ago

Wow, I just can't believe that they'd done something like this. They were my cousin's neighbors and seemed to me like they were a couple of very nice people. We used to bbq in their backyard all the time and just talk about life and work and hanging out. I'm incredibly outraged about this situation and just to know that we let them eat around our kids and our dogs makes my blood curl.

prayforher 3 years, 9 months ago

Maybe before passing judgment on the both of them, you should wait and see how this all plays out... I think the girl is innocent.

Ian Legler 3 years, 9 months ago

gr

By legal terms they committed murder. Plain and simple... Your ramblings are not only disturbing but show a complete lack of compassion and sense of humanity.

gr 3 years, 9 months ago

I wasn't talking about it legally. Your comment indicates the only difference is due to a legal technicality. That's so sad. Even more so if you mean me objecting to a woman choosing to kill her baby means "lack of compassion and sense of humanity".

chihuahua2 3 years, 9 months ago

Thank u for removing that post from gr it was way out there!!!! THANK U!!!!

frank mcguinness 3 years, 9 months ago

Really?

They moved from tennessee because they heard of the homeless shelter in lawrence?

WOW you must have cognative issues.

sr80 3 years, 9 months ago

Its too cold for toads to be up and about,go back to sleep oneeye!

gr 3 years, 9 months ago

I don't know what you are talking about me making a violet comment to kill Lee or anyone else. I actually objected to killing anyone. However, it is my suspicion that you think it is ok to kill certain people and not others. That is why I'm asking what the difference is. Attitudes such as you exhibit that it is ok to kill people is what is of concern and a threat to society.

George Diepenbrock 3 years, 9 months ago

Thanks for catching that. It was a note for the copy desk. I forgot to delete it from the post.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 9 months ago

thank you and all at LJW for providing a great paper, a great paper giving us up to date news even if a mistake happens every 35000 words.

jackpot 3 years, 9 months ago

I agree with you. Mistakes happen sometime my eyes see one thing, brain see another.

BigPrune 3 years, 9 months ago

I notice a hickey on her neck. Surely they can find some loonie tune feminist ACLU attorney around here to defend them for their "post partum" abortion.

towniejj 3 years, 9 months ago

Why would it take more than a year to investigate this and bring charges? Such a sad story.

Kontum1972 3 years, 9 months ago

both those people were scary...looking

tomatogrower 3 years, 9 months ago

I had a friend who told me to watch the eyes of child murderers. It's like they have no soul. This man has those eyes. The woman just looks like some stupid bimbo who would follow the jerk.

martyks 3 years, 9 months ago

So why do you want to try this case in the paper? Let's wait to see what the circumstances were. We have no idea, at this point, if one or both of them was involved. Meantime, a few of you who can't wait for the trial before the lynching, rent out "The Oxbow Incident" and cool your jets. As Henry put it, "Hangin's every man's business." Remember Jean Benet? Her parents were found to be totally innocent (and this was after the mother had died.. after years of abuse in the papers and television speculation. Let the legal system have a chance to work here.

TheEyeofUS 3 years, 9 months ago

First off they are both innocent until proven guilty. Secondly, I see the woman’s mug shot on the SECOND page – why not right next to the man’s mug shot on the first page? Talk about double standards in this country, I read someone’s statement earlier about how they “thought the woman was innocent” – doesn’t everybody always!? We don’t know the whole story yet anyway but LJ world is sure quick to show us ONLY the man’s mug shot up front. “Oh, I’m sure the woman is just a victim…bla,bla,bla.” Or she might be one to eat her own off spring as far as we know. So much for “equality”.