Archive for Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Not without fault: Bill Self confesses shortcoming after winning AP award

Kansas head coach Bill Self smiles as he listens to forward Mario Little's senior speech following the Jayhawks' 64-51 win over Texas A&M on Wednesday, March 2, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

March 8, 2011

Bill Self weekly press conference, March. 7, 2011

Kansas head coach Bill Self discussed junior Marcus Morris winning Big 12 Player of the Year honors and the team's mindset heading into the conference tournament at his weekly press conference Monday, March 7, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University’s Bill Self, who was named the Associated Press Big 12 Coach of the Year on Monday — a day after the league coaches accorded him the same honor — insists he has his faults.

The man who has led KU, Illinois and Tulsa to 11 league championships in the last 13 years — his squads took second the other two years — reprimanded himself publicly Monday for perhaps not allowing his players to enjoy their successes as much as he should.

“One thing I’ve done a very poor job with my team is always talking about ‘next game,’’’ said Self, whose Jayhawks are 62-5 the last two seasons. “They (players) have become very robotic in thinking ‘next game,’ which is good in an NBA season, but in a college season, hey, this is a big deal to win a championship.

“We need to enjoy the wins more from this point forward,” added Self, whose Jayhawks wrapped up their seventh straight Big 12 title on Saturday at Missouri. On Monday it was revealed he drew 16 of 22 coach-of-the-year votes from individuals who regularly cover the Big 12. Texas A&M’s Mark Turgeon received three votes, Colorado’s Tad Boyle had two and Kansas State’s Frank Martin one.

“It’s something I have to stress to the guys. A lot of places we’d be cutting down nets and doing everything else when you win a conference championship. Here these guys think, ‘That’s what we’re supposed to do. We did our job,’ and they have done their job and done it very well, and they need to feel that from me more. I can do a better job of that,” Self said.

The Jayhawks obviously couldn’t cut down the nets in Mizzou Arena and didn’t want to celebrate after last Wednesday’s home win over Texas A&M, considering that just meant KU had claimed a share of the 2010-11 crown.

“You’ve got to be able to blow off steam,” Self said. “Baseball players, after a guy pitches a no-no, everybody runs out and jumps on him (pitcher). We haven’t had any of that. Football teams that have huge wins ... we haven’t had any of that stuff because there’s always the next game.

“I know in other sports you have the next game, too, but it’s not two days later. I need to do a better job of showing them how much I appreciate their efforts because their efforts have been unbelievable, absolutely remarkable. The last few years, these guys have done some things in my wildest dreams I would never thought they could accomplish from a winning standpoint.

“When you start adding up championship opportunities in our league and how many these guys have won, it’s staggering. Not to celebrate that as much as we do, I think is doing those players a disservice. We have to do a better job of that,” he noted.

Self, who expressed regret he didn’t let his players cut down the nets at Sprint Center last year after winning the Big 12 tournament — “I didn’t let ’em cause we had bigger fish to fry” — will feel better upon being reminded he actually did let the players celebrate that day.

“We did. He’s getting old, man. He forgets. He’s getting old,” junior Marcus Morris joked, remembering the net-snipping ceremony after a title win over Kansas State.

Senior Tyrel Reed said the players have celebrated “in their own ways. Since I’ve been here, we’ve won four regular-season championships. It’s an amazing feat. Down at the core, we know how big a deal it is. We may not celebrate in public, cutting down nets, but we still celebrate.”

Self did make sure to congratulate his team at practice Monday. Some of the Big 12 coaches, in turn, congratulated Self on a job well done.

“It’s pretty amazing,” Texas A&M coach Mark Turgeon told the AP. “Bill’s done a great job. I’ve been here four years, and it seems like every time we play them they’re ranked either No. 1 or No. 2 in the country. They have a toughness, and they win road games other teams can’t win.”

Noted KSU’s Martin: “For Kansas to do what they’ve done, seven consecutive years, is remarkable. It’s a credit to Bill Self. It’s a credit to his assistants, to their recruiting, their consistency in handling young men, making them perform, and getting people to coexist and put their egos aside and play and compete. That’s hard to do one year. But to do it seven years in a row is just amazing.”

Self has won the AP honor in three of his eight seasons at KU.

“I appreciate that people recognize the success we’ve had, and this is going to sound like coach-speak, but it really is the players who win championships,” Self said.

Comments

sundancewierdo 3 years, 9 months ago

we're not really doing the whole "roy, who?" thing anymore. It's been 8 years, get over it... We wish Roy continued success as well...

newmedia 3 years, 9 months ago

Enjoy the ride fellows. College is the best time of your lives. No one knows who the last team standing will be a month from now. We all hope it is the Jayhawks but whatever happens from here on out be proud of who you are and what you have done. Good luck and thank you!

John McCoy 3 years, 9 months ago

Best coach in America, bar none. Would have been a winner in any sport.

iquilt 3 years, 9 months ago

Frank Martin got a vote?????? Gee, they were picked to win the Big 12 and ended up tied for 4th or something like that?? That person should never be allowed to vote again.

sparky1958 3 years, 9 months ago

Thinking about the backlash against the Big XII POY selection and have settled on this. Politics, rivalries, emotions and everything else aside, I’m kind of glad that Morris received the award. I will leave it to those who know more about basketball than me to debate whether or not he deserved it, but I do think he needs it more. Frankly, I think this basketball period could likely be the best time of his life and when it’s over and he no longer has an entity protecting him and covering for him the next headlines we read about him will likely be very sad. Jake has all of the elements for a great life. He’s smart, talented, likeable, charismatic, etc., etc. He also has a great support network of people who truly care about him. I don’t think Marcus Morris has any of this and will need something like this award to remind him that he had something once.

sundancewierdo 3 years, 9 months ago

Wow, that's pretty pessimistic and mighty judgemental of you. Sounds like someone is a little bitter about how their team's season turned out. I think Kieff (lead big 12 in boards and dbl. dbls) could have been on the first team too. Marcus will surprise you, but not the rest of us... Good luck Hawks!

sparky1958 3 years, 9 months ago

nothing either of the twins will do off the court will surprise me. Shooting people with guns, wrecking cars with 16 year olds with them,,,, nothing at all.

iquilt 3 years, 9 months ago

Shopping at Macy's and paying for their stuff? Everybody makes mistakes even your precious Jake.

Kontum1972 3 years, 9 months ago

Rightwinger...FYI

Roy did build a tradition at KU...Coach Self acknowledged that the other day, maybe u missed that edition of the LJW......he knew Self's bckgrnd and knew he would not let the program down. Roy went back to NC because Wanda wanted to go back home. He knew khew Hawks were in good hands..his Heart is still here. Roy's former secretary, Shirley is my next door neighbour.

This is the birthplace of Basketball....and no one can take that from us..."Amen."

martyks 3 years, 9 months ago

I've softened a bit on Roy. It wasn't the fact that he left. He went home. No one should blame him for that. The thing he did that was sleazy was trying to get thinly veiled messages to his recruit made through the media, to follow Roy to UNC. We were surprised because we had no idea Roy was capable of sleaziness. He looked and sounded like a car salesman at a funeral, trying to sell a car to the widow. Saying what a shame it would be for a player to have to play "way out there"... That's how he described Kansas University. Way out there. He burned his bridges. So, for that, he lost any chance that most of us would ever again hold him in high esteem.

If Bill Self retires here, or if he leaves KU and does it in a classy way (and not the way Roy left), it's a lock that there will be a statue of him outside Allen Fieldhouse... and deservedly so.  I'd love it if it was of him while hugging TRob or any other star as they came out of a game.  Please, future artist, do not make a sculpture of Coach Self while he attempted to boogie!  Do not go there.

number1jayhawker 3 years, 9 months ago

I used to like listening to Nick Wrong, but now I can't stand to listen to his bias.

He's in love with Frank Martin and the mizzou team for some reason.

sundancewierdo 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm with you. Coach can't shoot, dribble, or have turnovers for Selby. He is going to be fine, he's a freshman. I think we expect way too much out of our freshmen these days. Nick Wright sucks. He's on the Jayhawk network and only takes calls from Mizzou and KSU fans...

missmagoo 3 years, 9 months ago

Congrats Bill. He is a heck of a guy and I am proud to have him at KU!

justmy2cents 3 years, 9 months ago

I LIKE ROY..............I MISS ROY...........

Judgesmails 3 years, 9 months ago

Coach Self is the man! Hopefully, he retires at KU.

Nick Wright is a wank.

Roy chose to leave, quit crying....

sundancewierdo 3 years, 9 months ago

Thanks for all the hard work Coach! Rock Chalk train rolls on...