Archive for Monday, March 7, 2011

Young turkey hunters invited to annual event

March 7, 2011

Young hunters will be able to participate in the fifth annual Youth Turkey Hunt April 2 at Clinton Lake.

Hunters ages 10 to 16 will be drawn from a pool of applicants and then can hunt in an area that is usually closed to hunters. The hunters will need a special permit and be helped by an adult mentor.

The event, which is put on by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers at Clinton Lake, the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks and the National Wild Turkey Federation, is to help young hunters become interested in turkey hunting in an ethical manner.

The event will take place from half an hour before sunrise to sundown that day.

Applications are available online at www.nwk.usace.army.mil/cl/Hunting-Special.cfm or can be picked up at the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Visitor Center at Clinton Lake. Anyone with questions should call 843-7665.

Comments

notanoobhere 3 years, 6 months ago

whats sad, people doing what we have always done. It would be sad if they killed them and didnt eat them. Your close minded liberal "oh dont kill anything" panty waste whiny hippy ass. Go jump off the bridge.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 6 months ago

Go shoot some young turkeys. You'll feel all better.

password 3 years, 6 months ago

hey now - don't be so darn quick to judge. I'm not a closed minded liberal! I just think its sad cause I don't like to eat turkey... now if they were huntin' up some buffalo or some wild boar then I would say "way to go....yum yum!

arlo 3 years, 6 months ago

This is a great program. I can't wait till my son's get old enough to start taking out. People are so far removed from where their food comes from in this day and age it's sad.

If anyone is interested in getting their kids out for this event and are short on gear or experience please message me here and I'll see what I can do to help out.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 6 months ago

I guess this means your son will be fully dressing out and butchering any turkey he shoots.

arlo 3 years, 6 months ago

of course he will, what other options are there? I fail to see what kind of response you are fishing for?

Fred Mertz 3 years, 6 months ago

Nothing better than going out and spending the day in the outdoors and bringing home the original free range all natural turkey to eat.

Even if you don't get one it is truly a wonderful experience to be there as the sun rises and the turkeys gobble. Not to mention the quality time a parent and child will spend together.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 6 months ago

Shouldn't you have said "hunting for?"

You answered my question. Thanks.

seriouscat 3 years, 6 months ago

Does anyone save their turkey and have it for T-day? How awesome would that be?

I always wanted to nab a turkey with a bow and arrow.

JayhawkVeteran 3 years, 6 months ago

Fall turkey season start Oct 1st. So you can harvest one in the fall for T-day!