Archive for Monday, March 7, 2011

Let us know about all of those good neighbors out there in Lawrence

March 7, 2011

Do you have a neighbor who is always out helping neighbors shovel their driveways? Watching their kids? Helping run errands? Walking their dogs?

We're looking for neighbors who help neighbors in Lawrence, and why they take the time to help. If you know someone like this, contact Brenna Hawley at bhawley@ljworld.com.

Comments

TheStonesSuck 4 years, 6 months ago

How about you stop asking us to turn in our neighbors.

May Soo 4 years, 6 months ago

I am keeping my good neighbors to myself, not sharing them.

kthxbi 4 years, 6 months ago

On Elm street in North Lawrence there is a man who plows the sidewalks for everyone.

Joan Kelly 4 years, 6 months ago

Me too! Thanks Ted Boyle! He's the President of the North Lawrence Improvement Association.

bhawley 4 years, 6 months ago

Thanks for the info! He sounds like a nice guy, especially with all the snow we got this year!

Escapee 4 years, 6 months ago

I just happened to be looking at the online Journal today -- and this question immediately brought to mind the picture of my old (as in previous) neighbor in Lawrence...Kenny Click.

I don't live in Lawrence anymore, but used to live on the west side of town...with a long and sloping driveway I might add. Kenny knew my hubby often traveled (as his wife and my husband worked for the same company) and he always had my driveway completely cleared of snow by the time I even woke up! What a blessing for me -- knowing I could grab a cup of coffee and make my kids breakfast before driving them off to school on winter mornings. Kenny also plowed the drives of several other neighbors on the street with his mighty little four wheeler as well -- all long before any of us had to open the garage door!

Not only was Kenny a terrific neighbor -- he is also an outstanding Daddy to his three boys!! He and his wife, Betty, are lovely lovely people who always seemed to have the best interests of others at heart. Kenny was always eager to be involved in the community -- be it neighborhood gatherings, church events, or simply keeping an eye out for those in need. This is the type of role model, and parenting, we need more of in this country. Especially now. I have no doubt that the three young men the Clicks are raising will grow up to be responsible, caring, solid citizens.

Call him up! He deserves the spotlight!!!

bhawley 4 years, 6 months ago

Thank you! I will definitely give him a call.

hail2oldku 4 years, 6 months ago

He posts on here. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

begin60 4 years, 6 months ago

Street harassment is the aggressive norm in good old Lawrence. People are so frighteningly ignorant and incompetent in this town they really need to leave others alone. "Help" in the common parlance of Lawrence is the revenge of those who would otherwise be subject to the "R" word against thinking, reasonable people who would really appreciate receiving the dignity of having their boundaries respected.

Anyone who is of the backwoods type who gets up in strangers' business is an unwanted element in my book.

tomatogrower 4 years, 6 months ago

So you wouldn't want a neighbor to clear your drive, or call the police if someone is breaking into your house or catch your dog when it gets loose? You really do live in the wrong town. Go find an unfriendly place, or the wilderness, please.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 6 months ago

I do not live in Lawrence but I am blessed with some amazing neighbors. Even the slightly crazy guy who is always cussing his truck has been willing to make friendly small talk in between curse words. I think I mentioned it before but when we were in the hospital having our son, we had two different neighbors mowing our lawn, one watering our plants and dog, and another hand made us the cutest little baby blanket. As much as I complain about my house, I must say my neighbors are irreplaceable!

topeka52 4 years, 6 months ago

Wow, you must be the old crummudgen who lives down the street, yelling at kids to stay off your yard, leaving your grass unmowed and in general a huge pain in the butt.

amac 4 years, 6 months ago

I, too, live in North Lawrence and know that Ted Boyle does a lot of good work for all of us over there. I recently became involved with the NLIA and am amazed at all the work he does. Kudos to Ted for sure!

sustainabilitysister 4 years, 5 months ago

When I lived on the 1100 block of Pennsylvania, my neighbor CC would always shovel the sidewalk, walkway and porch for me. Thank you CC for being such a wonderful man!