Archive for Sunday, March 6, 2011

Summit to educate Lawrence community on LGBT issues

March 6, 2011

In the hopes of giving a greater voice to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues, a local group will hold a summit this election season.

The first of its kind in Lawrence, the LGBT Summit will bring together members of the LGBT community, school board and City Commission candidates, and others interested in LGBT issues.

“We’ve never taken a proactive approach to getting our voice out there in the community,” said Scott Criqui, vice-chair of the Lawrence/Douglas County Chapter of the Kansas Equality Coalition. “With the coming election, it would be great if candidates could see, here is our voice and here is what is important to us.”

Sponsored by the local Kansas Equality Coalition chapter, the summit will be held from 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. March 29 at Maceli’s, 1031 N.H.

On tap for discussion will be the goal of convincing city of Lawrence leaders to include gender identity in its anti-discrimination policy. Such an effort failed in 2010 when the city’s Human Relations Commission voted against the measure.

The commission’s reluctance to change the policy spurred a conversation that a summit was needed.

“How do we educate the community, and specifically community leaders, on LGBT issues to give them more of a scope on what the LGBT community is here?” Criqui said.

The answer was to host a summit.

The summit will also look at school bullying and the positive effects an inclusive community can have on mental health and economic development.

Along with speakers, a candidate mixer will be held.

The summit also will be a chance for LGBT people to learn about steps they can take if they are feeling bullied or discriminated against.

While cities throughout the country have held similar summits, Criqui said he knows of just one other city in Kansas — Manhattan — that has held a summit like this.

He hopes that will change.

“Lawrence is a lot more accepting than other communities,” Criqui said. “Our hope is to be a role model with this event.”

Comments

Wendy magillicutty 3 years, 1 month ago

So I'm to assume that no one has a problem with transgen entering the mens' room in a woman's body? Also that every transgen is a gateway drug to openly allowing perverts to sexually harass others?

PaladKik 3 years, 1 month ago

I likey how to summits. One bathroom cheaper than too. I union in Lawrence.

indrid_cold 3 years, 1 month ago

Of the myriad expressions ( > LGBT ) permeating this half-light, each finds expression ( > ACGT ) via essential communion—that of complementary union.

consumer1 3 years, 1 month ago

BP, I see exactly whre you are coming from, but, to me the rest of the city is too busy seeing only through peephole rather than looking out the enitire door. They are limited because they feel special treatment applies only to them. An example I will use is this. If I were a man of dark skin color, it seems to be perfectly alright for me to use a derogitory name such as (N) to describe my race. However, If I were a white man and use the (N) word, I could be arrested for a hate crime. However, (again) what if I were 34.2 % black and the balace white? Could I use the (N) word? I don't think so, but if I were 50.1 % percent black I would have full usage. Correct? Now, how does it work when a man of color refers to a much paler man as a Peckerwood? or Honkie, or WHite MF, is that a hate crime? The similarity is only the special get special privilages according to the model of political correctsness. Maybe we should consult a professional. Are there any progressives out there?

BigPrune 3 years, 1 month ago

Some of you people got my post totally out of context. What I was saying was, if the ordinance is passed, bypassing the human rights commission, and the City Commission passed this law, a guy could take a shower or use the restroom in a public facility for the opposite sex and if he was questioned about it, all he would have to say to get out of troube was he was transgendered or pre-op transexual, and the City of Lawrence would be defending his right to shower with girls at one of our pools, or use the bathroom at any public facility. Now, tell me how I am wrong, please.

consumer1 3 years, 1 month ago

I don't care to share a restroom with what appears to be a woman who can stand and pee at a urnial. awe... what the heck. As long as they don't make disgusting comments about the size of my endowment. Compliment only please. I am sooooo tired of the OMG and WOW! statements I get from anyone who has been blessed enough to see it. When are they going to start heating that urnial water anyway. It is soooooo cold. Whew, Just makes me shiver.

classclown 3 years, 1 month ago

Make it simple. Rename all restrooms from Men and Women to Those that have a penis and Those that don't have a penis.

JustNoticed 3 years, 1 month ago

Sheesh, ya'll are overexcited. I just wanna know if it would be rude to insist on an enema on the first date.

ivalueamerica 3 years, 1 month ago

actually, Prune.. you are a bold faced liar saying outragous things to try and hide your bigotry and shock people.

The reality is that a man can not just don a dress and use the women´s restroom or shower. Nowhere in any law is that allowed.

What you are confusing is that a transgendered person WHO IS DIAGNOSED, and it can be confusing, I am sure doubly so for someone as constantly confused as yourself. A transgendered person, by all credible scientific minds is, in the case you are discussing, not a perverted man trying to see women, but a woman trapped in the body of a man.

It is a diagnosis that takes time and must be carefully documented. A far cry from someone trying to pop on a dress and walk into the restroom. However, it is very seldom facts suit your arguments anyway.

So, your claim that the law will allow a perverted man to don a dress and pop into the restroom is patently absurd, wrong and ignorant....and as I mentioned, only a thinly veiled attempt to try and justify your bigotry and hatred.

On a related note, here is a study that I feel may be of some help to you.

Wendy magillicutty 3 years, 1 month ago

"they would have to let him go" uhh? Why? Is there some "anti-criminal assault" discrimination law being introduced?? An assault is an assault is an assault. There are perverts in every gender, race, politics, religion and really any group of people. You fear perverts, not these groups. Each descriptor does NOT equal or imply perversion. Thankfully, there is a TINY nbr of perverts worldwide. Theyre NOT everywhere. We really shouldn't have to be so descriptive of who not to discriminate against. It should be the other way around. Cooler heads continually prevail on these topics, with ludicrous amounts of grace, strength and patience. Are you helping or hurting society? Oh, and when you get a chance, check your facts about homophobia and its connection to repressed homosexuality. I have met the enemy and he is us.

BloodBot 3 years, 1 month ago

The LGBT Summit will be another huge failure as are all the 'nitwit parades' the real people of Lawrence have to put up with just to collect fees from the Ultra Libs who masquerade as 'Professors of knowledge'. The University is a cash cow for some businesses but the so much of the so called 'wisdom' taught on the hill is pure marxist hogwash. Wasn't AIDS enough to wake up those purveyors of a lethal lifestyle?

beatrice 3 years, 1 month ago

I wish the LGBT Summit great success!

OutlawJHawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Are these really the most pressing issues our community, country and world is facing?

Joseph Jarvis 3 years, 1 month ago

@BigPrune, Clancy99, gudpoynt: If anything, trans people have more to fear in bathrooms from straight people. I've heard a lot of stories from trans people about unwarranted harassment and violence there. I've NEVER heard a story of a trans person using their status as trans to sexually abuse a woman.

The "man in a dress" objection is another chestnut. If it were true, why are the 30% of Americans who live in jurisdictions with trans nondiscrimination laws not facing a wave of complaints? Protecting trans people against discrimination does not undo sexual predator or peeping laws.

Nor do trans people swap identities day to day. All of the trans people I have known are stable in their gender identity.

These posts are proof of the stigma trans people must unfairly deal with every day--from employment, to housing, to public accommodation, to the LJW forums.

ivalueamerica 3 years, 1 month ago

prune, are you really that stupid, or do you honestly believe that?

BigPrune 3 years, 1 month ago

The anti-discrimination ordinance the LGBT wants -WILL allow a grown man who dresses up like a woman to use a women's public restroom and the City will defend this man to use it - even if he's just a pervert who dresses like a woman in order to look at little girls in the bathroom, right?

deec 3 years, 1 month ago

Some think it is okay to discriminate against gay people because it is a "choice." If that is the standard one uses to justify discrimination, then it is also permissable to discriminate against any and all religions, since it, too, is a "choice" to follow a given religion.

75x55 3 years, 1 month ago

Must I now approve of these lifestyles, or can I continue to tolerate?

Paul R Getto 3 years, 1 month ago

Good idea; let us hope at least a few are educated as a result. Some comments above suggest this might be useful.

KUrolls 3 years, 1 month ago

What is there to know? As soon as LBGT start judging one another as they want to be judged I'll see what they mean. Their human condition is no different then your human condition.

scary_manilow 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm convinced that most of the homophobes out there still equate left handedness with witchcraft, so your point may fall on deaf ears.

jhawkinsf 3 years, 1 month ago

Over the years, we've learned that the earth is not flat, it's not at the center of the universe and that being gay is just another human condition. It's no different than being left handed or being slightly taller than average. It may be a little different, but values such as good or bad should not be attached to it. It just is. Beyond that, like every other person on the planet, they should each be judged on the content of their character.
For those who can't seem to get around it, next time you denigrate "gay", substitute "left handed". You will quickly see the folly of your argument.

Joseph Jarvis 3 years, 1 month ago

@sallyone: That's why we need a strong nondiscrimination ordinance. Bias like yours is alive even in liberal Lawrence.

Alceste 3 years, 1 month ago

Is this another of those "How I Choose To Have Sex" discussions? Will Prof. Dennis Dailey be there?

scary_manilow 3 years, 1 month ago

Sallyone:

Go "yuck" yourself. Seriously, how is this something like this a problem for you?