Archive for Friday, March 4, 2011

Lawrence judge gives child rapist Donald L. Brown back-to-back life sentences for sex crimes against girls

If ever paroled, Brown would be subject to electronic monitoring for the rest of his life

March 4, 2011

Donald Brown tearfully addresses the court and asks for forgiveness shortly before being sentenced to life for several counts of sexually assaulting two young girls at his Lawrence home.

Donald Brown

Donald Brown

Douglas County District Judge Peggy Kittel on Friday sentenced a Lawrence man to serve a prison term of 50 years to life for raping and sexually molesting two girls.

“It was certain in this case that the defendant had a fiduciary relationship with these children,” Kittel said before sentencing Donald L. Brown, 33. “They were placed in his care by the parents of the victims to spend time with and basically baby-sit these children.”

Brown had pleaded guilty in January to eight charges, including three counts of child rape for having sex with the two girls from 2008 to 2010. The Topeka girls, who now are 9 and 11, would frequently stay at Brown’s northern Lawrence home in between school and church activities.

“The request is that Donald Brown never get out of prison,” said Chief Assistant District Attorney Amy McGowan, who prosecuted the case.

Kittel granted McGowan’s request to have Brown serve two life sentences back to back. On each sentence, Brown will not be eligible for parole until after serving 25 years. McGowan had asked for one life sentence for each victim in the case.

In December, Kittel sentenced Brown’s wife, Natasha M. Brown, 34, to serve more than two years in prison after a jury convicted her of two counts of child endangerment for not reporting the sexual abuse.

The girls’ family met the Browns through Heritage Baptist Church, which is northwest of Lawrence. According to evidence at Natasha Brown’s trial, the girls told their parents last May about Donald Brown.

Lawrence police officers later arrested the Browns.

Donald Brown’s attorney, Michael Clarke, had asked Kittel for his client to be eligible for parole after 25 years.

“It is a very severe punishment and is sufficient,” Clarke said when asking for a 25-year sentence.

Brown tearfully apologized for his actions and to the victims. The family chose not to attend the hearing, McGowan said.

“I have committed terrible sins. I’ve hurt many people. I’m very sorry for all the harm I’ve caused,” he said. “I pray to God that he heals those who I have hurt. I know that I must be held accountable for my crimes. I have prayed for guidance on what I can do to atone for my sins.”

Brown said he accepted responsibility for his actions and that he would try to help other inmates while in prison.

“I promise to do what I can to help prevent these types of crimes in the future,” he said.

McGowan said Brown had essentially used the older girl as his sexual partner and “groomed” her by giving her gifts in exchange for sex acts.

“A true pedophile is someone who has, as their sexual ideal, a small child and most generally a girl, and that’s what you have here,” McGowan said.

Kittel said she could recall only one other case in her legal career when someone was having ongoing intercourse with a young girl.

“This was not a one-time offense but ongoing sexual abuse of two little girls,” the judge said.

Kittel also said if Brown ever is granted parole he must register as a sex offender and be subject to electronic monitoring for the remainder of his life.

Comments

Steve Jacob 4 years, 1 month ago

50 years, wow he should have rolled the dice with a jury.

xclusive85 4 years, 1 month ago

Finally a win for the system! Great ruling Kittel.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 1 month ago

Just became a big fan of Judge Kittel! Great Job!!

ResQd 4 years, 1 month ago

I hear prison love men like this. Don't drop the soap.

notanoobhere 4 years, 1 month ago

BruceWayne 4 years, 1 month ago

this rarely if ever happens. at some point word will get out though and he will spend 80 % of his sentence in the infirmary. guards will turn a blind eye as he takes ass beating after ass beating. They did not give the wife NEAR enough time for her role.

BlackVelvet 4 years, 1 month ago

oh, I don't know...about bias...I mean...Hritage BAPTIST Church, Westboro BAPTIST church......anyone see a pattern beginning to form?

pace 4 years, 1 month ago

He is really really sorry, really sorry he got caught, but I bet he thinks of himself as a good person.

Crazy_Larry 4 years, 1 month ago

IF he asks forgiveness for his sins God will forgive him and he'll still see us all in heaven!

RushIsRight 4 years, 1 month ago

I don't see how that explains anything except your bias against that church. Brown could have been a member of any number of organizations and would probably still have worked his way into some little kids life to terrorize and abuse. A pedophile will seek out a victim regardless of the venue. Don't be critical of a church that had nothing to do with Brown's actions just because you don't like it.

RushIsRight 4 years, 1 month ago

That comment should have been a reply to seeker_of_truth but I guess I must not have clicked reply. My bad.

YoungEarth 4 years, 1 month ago

Needless to say, he'll get his punishment at the hands of the other sinners with whom he'll be residing for the rest of his earthly life.

But don't forget that even "cho-mos can be forgiven and enter the kingdom of Heaven. But my heavenly father and I will have to figure out a way to keep this one away from the cherubims! Maybe we'll have to give him a pet baby dinosaur to play with (If he makes it through the pearly gates, that is.)

poorteacher 4 years, 1 month ago

Child molestors, pedaphiles, are considered the lowest of the low in prison just as they should be in society. It is a great honor amongt inmates to beat or kill one; thus they are all kept together in segregation in almost every prison. He will do nothing to "help" other inmates, but be among other sickos protected from inmates that want nothing more than to further his punishment.

purplesage 4 years, 1 month ago

So just what is right about this guy getting raped in prison? How will that avenge the wrongs he has committed? It won't heal the woundsof these little girls now carry for the rest of their lives. Nothing can make this right - but the violence you hide behind the euphemism isn't acceptable either.

ResQd 4 years, 1 month ago

Sorry, but if I had my way, he'd get a clean shot behind the ear and we wouldn't be wasting my tax dollars on scum like this. My heart goes out ONLY to the little girls he has damaged for the rest of there lives. They will always remember his sickness, no matter how long they are in therapy. I know, i was an abuse victim myself at an early age.

booyalab 4 years, 1 month ago

I agree. My heart goes out to any victims of abuse, but I can't help but wonder why you don't see at least this same level of outcry over murder cases.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 1 month ago

The tide us turning in Douglas county. Last week " life" this week two life sentences. Go Peggy,go Peggy....

Louis White 4 years, 1 month ago

Of course there is no other choice than to segregate the offender from society indefinitely whether through incarceration or execution, according to the laws of the state or country in which the offense was committed, but bear in mind that the families of the perpetrators are also victims in these cases. Just think about how this also affects his family members, among whom are likely to be at least some normal people who would have never wished this on anyone,

Judgesmails 4 years, 1 month ago

Looks like you didnt pray hard enough, loser.

Enjoy prison, scumbag