Archive for Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Baldwin City man claims he had no intent to harm bicyclist

March 2, 2011

A 48-year-old Baldwin City man charged with injuring a bicyclist last July testified Tuesday he didn’t intend to hurt anyone as he passed and yelled at a group of cyclists south of Lawrence.

Scott A. Young, 48, told jurors during his aggravated battery trial that he didn’t believe at the time he had struck cyclist Rob Wilshusen of Lawrence during an incident on July 15, 2010. But he said after hearing testimony in the case he believed Wilshusen fell after he had leaned into his truck as Young was passing him.

Prosecutors accuse Young of yelling obscenities at a group of riders traveling south of Broken Arrow Park, swerving over into their lane and striking Wilshusen, who suffered cuts to his shoulder, back and hip and a hematoma on his left hip.

But Young said he moved closer to the riders because he thought he was past them and was trying to avoid being on the left side of the road with a hill approaching.

Defense attorney Rick Frydman rested his case after Young’s testimony Tuesday. Attorneys are expected to give closing arguments at 9 a.m. today.

Comments

Gene Wallace 3 years, 1 month ago

I had encounters with this person a couple times before he hit the cyclists. I was driving a cross-over SUV. He had absolutely no patience for someone driving the speed limit on Louisiana. He once passed me on Louisiana North of 27th screaming out his window at me. Another time he ran the stop sign at 31st as I was making the left hand turn onto Louisiana in front of him. Again the honking, shouting and IQ gesture. No ,it's not just cyclists he hates, it's everyone "in his way".

thuja 3 years, 1 month ago

Bozo, are you one of those turds that hang out in the coffee shop all day sitting behind a computer? You sure sound like it.

"Hold on, I'll Google it!"

Homo sapiens turdus: the techno know it all

ophiuchus 3 years, 1 month ago

One of my pet peeves is the tired old excuse, "I didn't do it intentionally." As an agent in this world, one has an obligation to ensure that one's behavior does not harm others, irrespective of (and certainly not excused by) one's "intent" or absence thereof.

jnixon 3 years, 1 month ago

How about let's all be responsible?! What a concept! I don't defend the driver's actions...Bad driver! There are plenty of us 'bike conscious' drivers out there. I have, however, had a bike rider not stop at a signal, stop sign, etc. I have also had them not yield and pull right out in front of me. Not all, but a few, bike riders need to be 'car conscious' and follow the rules of the road too. Don't even get me started on the Pedestrians who choose to walk across the middle of the street while there are crosswalks provided. Let's all 'try' and follow the rules. How about it?

deathpenaltyliberal 3 years, 1 month ago

Too many comments say "the driver was wrong, but I see cyclists break the law all the time". So, what's your point? I see drivers break the law (speeding, rolling stop signs, etc.,) and no one mentions that. That's just relativist mumbo jumbo (Clarence Thomas legalese).

Drivers need to give cyclists their legal right of way, and in case of an accident, bear the responsibility. Most people drive like carp, and combined with road rage, are accidents waiting to happen.

Chris Golledge 3 years, 1 month ago

When you are operating a machine that has the capability to injure or kill another person, it is your responsibility to do everything in your power to see that doesn't happen.

Regarding the time it takes to pass: What does it matter? That's like saying it is OK to risk injury or death to another person rather than be inconvenienced.

evilpenguin 3 years, 1 month ago

Surely if the driver wanted to get back into the correct lane before the hill, this shows that he must have seen the hill before he STARTED to overtake the cyclists. If he lives in Baldwin, it's likely that he has driven that route before so even if he can't see the hill, he knows it's coming. So why not be patient and wait? Well, because he clearly doesn't like cyclists and takes exception to them riding in large packs which make it difficult to pass.

I understand that he hit a rider who was riding single file, but it is an all too common occurrence for riders to ride more than 2 abreast on the road. Clearly the driver has no patience or respect for riders rights on the road, but riders should also show more respect to drivers. Like stopping at red lights and stop signs. I have lived in Lawrence for a year and a half and have witnessed at least 30 cyclists riding straight through stop signs. Kudos to the 1 cyclist I've ever seen who actually stopped and waited his turn.

Cyclists can't have their cake and eat it. If you want to use the road, share it with the drivers and be responsible. Not all drivers are respectful to cyclists, I know this, and there should be harsh penalties for drivers who break the law. After all, it's much easier for a driver to kill a cyclist than it is for a cyclist to kill a driver.

People just need to get some patience and realize the world isn't all about them.

beeshlii 3 years, 1 month ago

the guy thinks he has more right than the cyclist or peds. and maybe a little crazy. but i have seen cyclist ignore road rules,

none2 3 years, 1 month ago

I sure wish the LJWorld.com would provide stories with links to their earlier articles on the same case so that we don't have people making comments that have nothing to do with the particular situation. Below is one of the links I found. I suggest you read it as well as the comment posted under the name "Lawrencebiker". He states he was the victim. Lets put all these discussions to sleep about riding two or more abreast or being obnoxious to drivers. That was NOT the case in this particular situation. I had the same misconceptions when the story first came out until those facts were shared. Here's the link:

Enoughsaid 3 years, 1 month ago

I feel sorry for the bicycle rider having to go through this ordeal. I always move over for bicyclist and give them plenty of room. With that being said, I wish some of our local riders would be more respectful of automobiles. It always bothers me when I pull up to a stop sign or intersection and the bicyclist rides right through the intersection.

I have the greatest respect for bicyclist but in major riding events there is always a few I've noticed that don't care and ride like they are in a race. I have spoken to the owner of a local bicycle shop and he agrees that these bad apple bicyclist need to be ticketed for stop signs and riding more than two abreast.

Bob_Keeshan 3 years, 1 month ago

Mr. Young is confused. He believes Mr. Wilsuhusen to be as crazy as he is. Pretty common to project your own crazy world view onto others.

Kirk Larson 3 years, 1 month ago

Take away his license so he has to ride a bicycle to get around. Oh, the irony!

yourworstnightmare 3 years, 1 month ago

This guy is a dirtbag.

I have seen many instances of this sort of behavior directed a cyclists. As a cyclist in Lawrence, Kansas, you must always be prepared to protect yourself, because at best motorists are careless and at worst are belligerent. Concealed carry by cyclists would be appropriate.

Car big, bike little. An undeniable fact.

Richard Payton 3 years, 1 month ago

Take his driver's license and require him to take a bicycle safety course.

Skullhunter 3 years, 1 month ago

Drunk again-Leave the bikers alone-give them a wave and go on your way-They are not hurting a thing-They have thier rights to use the road also-Lawrence and the rest of the state has a problem with you people who drive!!A auto!!!

deathpenaltyliberal 3 years, 1 month ago

I see the defendant does not want to take responsibility for his actions. He appears to be a liar who blames everyone else for his problems.

I hope that he receives the max sentence.

ryan026 3 years, 1 month ago

Every person riding a bicycle upon a roadway shall be granted all of the rights and shall be subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle by this act, except as otherwise provided in K.S.A. 8-1586 to 8-1592

8-1590 (c) Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast, except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.

bd 3 years, 1 month ago

I think if they are riding outside of the city limits they need a slow moving vehicle sign ! Safety first!

conservative 3 years, 1 month ago

The reason riders ride 2 abreast is for safety. Riders are actually entitled to the entire lane just like a car. Way too often when riding alone or single file cars pass without bothering to get into the other lane causing a very dangerous situation for riders. The defendant was already well known to the biking community for other instances of causing dangerous situations.

TJ_in_Lawrence 3 years, 1 month ago

Sometimes it does surprise you how long it takes to pass a group of riders. It's hard to judge when you start around a large group. I never start to pass unless I have a good 1/2 mile of clearance

Scott Morgan 3 years, 1 month ago

This is coming from a friend of bikers.

Over the years many former gravel roads have been blacktopped. There really isn't a reason to use County 458 anymore. In fact I often take my time into the city traveling entirely on surfaced back roads.

Floyd Craig 3 years, 1 month ago

but why dont they ride single file they do get 2-4 side by side I move over so they have room to ride but gees they need to move over a bit yes he shouldnt have been so close but still

Richard Heckler 3 years, 1 month ago

How could he be yelling at the cyclists and watching where he was going at the same time?

Poor judgement to say the least. Road rage is unacceptable.

His reckless driving may have allowed him to hit a cyclist aka hit and run.

As I see it:

• 30 days in jail

• pay all of the cyclist medical bills

• $5,000 fine

• suspension of drivers license for 6 months

• anger management therapy

Roland Gunslinger 3 years, 1 month ago

I must be driving past a field of cows because I smell BS.