Archive for Thursday, June 30, 2011

Papa Keno’s remains open as owner files for bankruptcy

June 30, 2011

Papa Keno’s Pizzeria remains open in downtown Lawrence as the company and its owner seek bankruptcy protection.

Greg Keenan filed earlier this month for bankruptcy protection both for himself and for his business, Papa Keno’s Pizzeria Inc., which operates a restaurant at 1035 Mass.

In the filings, Keenan lists debts of $44,000 against assets of $50,000.

Keenan continues to operate the business as a debtor in possession.

Court officials have noted that Keenan’s filing lacks required documents and financial information, and Keenan has been ordered to file such information by July 8. A meeting with creditors is slated for July 25.

Papa Keno’s started two decades ago, in a small Ninth Street shop a half block east of Massachusetts Street. The restaurant soon would relocate to its current home, and Keenan would expand to start restaurants in the Kansas City area and Denver.

In 2005 and in 2008, he ran into trouble with the Kansas Department of Revenue for unpaid taxes. At one point the restaurant and its assets were seized.

Attempts to reach Keenan were unsuccessful.

Comments

gsxrmike 2 years, 2 months ago

justanotherface 2 years, 9 months ago

Ate Papa Kenos yesterday and it was NASTY! There were 5 employees behind the counter who appeared to be struggling with their every move. They were out of forks. I've eaten better dollar frozen pizzas than the junk I was served. You could see a cart full of already cooked pizza dough just sitting there for all the flies to graze upon. Then when someone ordered a slice, they'd throw very meager toppings on it and heat it up until the cheese melts. No herbs or flavoring what so ever. It's gonna be my last meal there. Good bye Papa Kenos!

ChootemLiz 2 years, 9 months ago

What did kusadgirl say that had her removed?

papakeno 2 years, 9 months ago

Yey, Fagan is on a roll. Once again he tried to reach us 6 hours after he posted his biased story. This is typical of Mark, he wants to make "big" stories out of nothing. Trust me, this is nothing.

I remember back in '95 when I ran for city commission, he was a young kid, so was I (lol), but he did an interview with me in my office here at the Lawrence store. His first question to me, and I kid you not, was what my position on abortion?. Kinda odd I thought for a city commision election considering this was the year we had the additional wording debate of "sexual preference" addition to the anti-discrimination laws of Lawrence. FYI, I was for adding it.

And he still is here, but this post won't be for long!!

papakeno 2 years, 9 months ago

what happened to ThePsychophant??

jafs 2 years, 9 months ago

Wow.

Not only is papa gone, but kusadgirl as well?

ChootemLiz 2 years, 9 months ago

I agree with papakeno in that Mark Fagan is a "hack reporter", goes back to my comment about lack of support for our community. You would think our local paper would want to support our local businesses since it is local businesses that help support the paper.

g_rock 2 years, 9 months ago

Reminds me of the hottest guy I ever dated but turned down Papa Keno's for fear of feeling fat in front of him. WOW. Hey, hot fire fighter, wanna try it again???!

papakeno 2 years, 9 months ago

Ahhhh, Fagan had my post removed. Powerful guy.

Anyways folks, PK's isn't going anwhere, no worries.

However, Mark Fagan is a hack reporter. Flagged timer starts.......now.

papakeno 2 years, 9 months ago

Ahhhh, Fagan had my post removed. Powerful guy.

Anyways folks, PK's isn't going anwhere, no worries.

However, Mark Fagan is a hack reporter. Flagged timer starts.......now.

papakeno 2 years, 9 months ago

Ahhhh, Fagan had my post removed. Powerful guy.

Anyways folks, PK's isn't going anwhere, no worries.

However, Mark Fagan is a hack reporter. Flagged timer starts.......now.

papakeno 2 years, 9 months ago

Ahhhh, Fagan had my post removed. Powerful guy.

Anyways folks, PK's isn't going anwhere, no worries.

However, Mark Fagan is a hack reporter. Flagged timer starts.......now.

papakeno 2 years, 9 months ago

Ahhhh, Fagan had my post removed. Powerful guy.

Anyways folks, PK's isn't going anwhere, no worries.

However, Mark Fagan is a hack reporter. Flagged timer starts.......now.

papakeno 2 years, 9 months ago

Ahhhh, Fagan had my post removed. Powerful guy.

Anyways folks, PK's isn't going anwhere, no worries.

However, Mark Fagan is a hack reporter. Flagged timer starts.......now.

papakeno 2 years, 9 months ago

Ahhhh, Fagan had my post removed. Powerful guy.

Anyways folks, PK's isn't going anwhere, no worries.

However, Mark Fagan is a hack reporter. Flagged timer starts.......now.

papakeno 2 years, 9 months ago

Ahhhh, Fagan had my post removed. Powerful guy.

Anyways folks, PK's isn't going anwhere, no worries.

However, Mark Fagan is a hack reporter. Flagged timer starts.......now.

papakeno 2 years, 9 months ago

Ahhhh, Fagan had my post removed. Powerful guy.

Anyways folks, PK's isn't going anwhere, no worries.

However, Mark Fagan is a hack reporter. Flagged timer starts.......now.

papakeno 2 years, 9 months ago

Ahhhh, Fagan had my post removed. Powerful guy.

Anyways folks, PK's isn't going anwhere, no worries.

However, Mark Fagan is a hack reporter. Flagged timer starts.......now.

fuktard 2 years, 9 months ago

i hope he looses the business . their pizza has always been barley ok at best ,, and Greg is a DB . karma has a way of getting back at ya .

Sigmund 2 years, 9 months ago

nomansland (anonymous) says... " I guess all the big box/chain stores on the West side wasn't so good after all. First, Penny Annie's and now Papa Keno's, which I always liked both places despite alot of folks complaining here."

Yeah that Big Box candy store and pizza shop got closed down by Walmart and Best Buy. "Big Candy" is going to open a non-union factory in Topeka which will definitely put a end to Free State Brewery. Just a matter of time.

Sigmund 2 years, 9 months ago

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus (anonymous) replies… "I've heard from a number of people that he can be very abusive towards employees."

Back a couple of years ago that was certainly true and not surprisingly the quality of the pizza sucked. However since the 2008 problems with the Department of Revenue he cleaned up his act and the quality of the pizza improved considerably.

Easy_Does_It (anonymous) says… "Filing could be a way to void the lease. A new normal is comin g for landlords downtown."

The recent remodeling increased the seating capacity, but I bet the rent downtown is the killer. I hope that he can re-negotiate his current lease terms but if not I bet he could be profitable a number of different locations. One that comes to mind is the 9th Street location Pizza Shuttle left for downtown. Still close to campus and not too far from downtown and I imagine the rent would be 1/3 of what he is paying today. I prefer his style of pizza (at least most of the time) and it would be a shame if he closed.

Tony Kisner 2 years, 9 months ago

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 9 months ago

"Some of the $50K in assets may be somewhat illiquid things, e.g., ovens, odd lots of inventory."

Yeah, that makes sense. I just finished reading one of Anthony Bourdain's books and he wrote about how when they'd start up a new restaurant, they'd raid a bankrupt kitchen of ovens, pots, pans, etc... for pennies on the dollar.

nomansland 2 years, 9 months ago

I no longer live in Lawrence but check this site from time to time. Doesn't seem to be alot of good news these days coming from downtown with all the vacancy rates. I guess all the big box/chain stores on the West side wasn't so good after all. First, Penny Annie's and now Papa Keno's, which I always liked both places despite alot of folks complaining here. Whenever I'm back I've always observed long lines out the door at Coldstone, when places like Sylas and Maddy's are nearly empty. Seems to me that alot of Lawrencians don't shop at enough local places as all the chain stores are more packed. No wonder your downtown is declining.

irvan moore 2 years, 9 months ago

i'v had mostly good pizza there. a couple of not so great over the years but pretty happy with the product. the kids working there have been pleasant and trated us well,

Curtis Lange 2 years, 9 months ago

I'm in the 'havent been in years' boat thanks to crappy service, rude emplyees and disgusting pizza. Even if it is the best pizza on Earth now, I wouldn't go back. Let it close down. Not a care will be given.

MacHeath 2 years, 9 months ago

I liked Papa Keno's for a couple years, then the pizza went way down hill. After a few bad experiences, I quit going there. About a year ago, a friend told me that they had improved their product. I went back, and they are making good pizza again. It is a good product. As much like "New York style" pizza as you are going to find in the midwest. Delivery is still spotty though: don't bother. A slice and a drink is still less than a lot of hamburgers these days. I hope they manage to stay in business, and continue serving a good product.

ChootemLiz 2 years, 9 months ago

The negativity of some comments are saddening. Lawrence has lost a lot of local businesses and partly because of the lack of support from our community. It's sad to see some institutions that have been in Lawrence for decades are now gone or struggling. These are people's lives and jobs at stake.

former_kansan 2 years, 9 months ago

I worked at papa kenos for 3 days last year. I walked out because it was unsanitary. My first day the cold well broke and he said he'd get it fixed asap.for the 3 days I was there the food in the cold table went without refrigeration. Don't get me started on the lack of hot water or the flies that live in the floor drains. As far as better pizza goes I'd say gambinos, glory days, and even little ceasers beat kenos anyday. He never did pay me for my 3 days.

Lesta 2 years, 9 months ago

Somewhere in the world Jeff Loney is laughing his arse off about this news...

Olympics 2 years, 9 months ago

What I heard sniff...that some of the increased operating costs sniff....over the past few years sniff...went for "allergy" medicine sniff. Dang it, my nose is bleeding again.

Gonna miss that pizza.

Pitt_Mackeson 2 years, 9 months ago

We needs a girl around here. To stick up for the little guy, and to do the laundry and make sammiches.

Andini 2 years, 9 months ago

Is she ku's ad girl or ku sad girl? Either way she's relatively new here.

kusadgirl 2 years, 9 months ago

People hating on papas pizza have yet to provide us with a better pizza place.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 9 months ago

" kusadgirl (anonymous) replies… yeahwellthatsjustlikeyouropinionman.jpeg"

Her link didn't work, but I knew what she was linking. I love our new little Emo girl.

irvan moore 2 years, 9 months ago

i like papas pizza, please let me know who has better.

GovJunkie 2 years, 9 months ago

Such is the state in the era of the slacker... Times were when bankruptcy was a personal failure. Now it's seen as a right for anyone who simply doesn't want to pay their bills. You have more assets in the biz than debt... And one assumes access to other funds... Home equity, savings, sell something, etc. Thanks for trying... Hardly. Didn't pay taxes or creditors. Please consider sucking it up, paying your creditors and hang your head high because you met your obligations with dignity and responsibility. Gj

kusadgirl 2 years, 9 months ago

Please stay open. They have the best pizza in town (if not the entire state of Kansas). End of discussion.

nonracist 2 years, 9 months ago

Sounds like he can shut down just fine and everyone gets paid. But seems he simply wants to dump his debts and stay "debt" free in business.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 9 months ago

"In the filings, Keenan lists debts of $44,000 against assets of $50,000"

Sounds like he can pay his bills and close up shop just fine, but I'm no tax lawyer so I'm probably missing the point here.

Watching the decline of Papa Keno's has been sad.