Archive for Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Lawrence City Commission puts off action on Bullwinkle’s permit

June 29, 2011

An Oread neighborhood bar is inching closer to being allowed to stay open until 2 a.m.

Bullwinkle’s, 1344 Tenn., is seeking a special-use permit that would allow it to convert from a cereal malt beverage establishment that must close at midnight to a regular full-service drinking establishment that could stay open until 2 a.m.

City commissioners at their meeting Tuesday delayed taking final action on the permit but said they were open to the idea if the property owner and city staff could create a plan to discourage patrons from congregating outside the bar.

Staff members said they likely would put together a plan that would replace grass on the site with thorny bushes or other landscaping that would make it difficult to stand in the area.

Comments

GUMnNUTS 3 years, 9 months ago

What could go wrong with a bar that sits right beside a road the drunks from downtown travel home on?

notanota 3 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, I witnessed that one go very wrong outside that very bar several years ago. Drunk pedestrians + drunk drivers on a busy road with all the frat houses = very very bad things. I don't know if he lived. ;-/

Zachary Stoltenberg 3 years, 9 months ago

Let's see, a student bar in a student neighborhood, that caters to student social activities and lifestyles. What's wrong with being open until 2:00 a.m. ? If the "neighbors" have a problem with it, perhaps they shouldn't have moved into a student neighborhood. Business as usual on Oread, about 5% of the owners speaking as though they represent the majority. If you have that big a problem with students and the activities that do (and have for over 100 years) happened in the neighborhoods they live in, shut up and move.

Vinny1 3 years, 9 months ago

Exactly. Because without the Bull open until 2 it is perfectly quiet and no one is around there anyway! Ha.

Zachary Stoltenberg 3 years, 9 months ago

I definitely agree 100% Consumer1, try telling that to the blowhards who show up to the public meetings with their sob stories of parking nightmares and urinating in public accounts. My point is that a bar being open 2 more hours isn't a big deal in that part of town. We should be encouraging business and job growth so why was it delayed?

notanota 3 years, 9 months ago

Obviously it is a big deal in that part of town if people are wiling to show up to public meetings to complain about it.

Tammy Yergey 3 years, 9 months ago

I totally agree, zstoltenberg. When you know what you are moving into, you better just accept what you are getting. Otherwise, don't move there. Amazing philosophy!

notanota 3 years, 9 months ago

I dunno about you, but I shopped for my student housing during the day and totally missed the overcrowded and under-bathroomed keg-party-with-a-roof down the block. By day, it looks like a small place that wouldn't fit hundreds of students. Oh right, it IS a small place that wouldn't fit so many students, except that they let them hang outside with full plastic cups of beer (which I'm pretty sure is illegal) and urinate on the side of everyone's houses, which I know is illegal.

pizzapete 3 years, 9 months ago

Yea, I too made the mistake of moving into an apartment on Ohio St. in my youth. I was shown the apt during the day, in the Summer, and coming from out of state I had no idea I was moving into party central. It was a total nightmare living there.

rockchalker52 3 years, 9 months ago

I used to drink a lot of beer there back when it was a townie bar called The Beer Garden. Thankfully, the short-sighted management, who never catered to the college crowd, went under or I might still be there tossing peanuts at your pitcher of Pabsts when you weren't looking. Circa mid-to-late '70's.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 9 months ago

Asking consumers not to be outside sounds a lot like rhetoric than substance.

Who after all will be enforcing such nonsense?

Doesn't the LPD have plenty to do at that hour?

Who will write the tough language? Teeth will be lacking in the language if there is language so why bother?

Nothing that has been suggested will be or can be enforced therefore why even go there?

City commissioners likely would not go for this in their neighborhoods and likely will be home fast asleep.

Vote no if any of the above is a concern.

Matthew Herbert 3 years, 9 months ago

I seem to remember that neighbors complaints of drunks urinating in their yard was part of the problem. Have a cop sit out there JUST ONE NIGHT and issue a bunch of tickets for that and it will stop. Once word gets around that peeing in public (exposing yourself in public) earns you a spot on a sex offender registry, my guess is the problem might stop. Most problems in this town that ultimately result in places getting shut down, could have been avoided with an adequate amount of enforcement in the first place. Policing is similar to parenting in that respect; if you allow improper behavior to exist and create an environment where it is tolerated, don't be surprised when it builds and builds and ultimately you have no control of your child/your community.

notanota 3 years, 9 months ago

We were told by the cops that city ordinances were pretty much unenforcible and that there wasn't much they could do about it at the time.

Matthew Herbert 3 years, 9 months ago

I think urinating in public is more than just a city ordinance. I'm pretty sure there are actual enforceable laws pertaining to exposing ones privates, uninvited, in my yard.

notanota 3 years, 9 months ago

Yes, but they have to catch the specific person who is doing it at the time. Unless they set up a sting, there's no way the person would still be peeing when they arrived.

TheTalker 3 years, 9 months ago

I agree with stoltz and horsegirl; when you move into a neighborhood you should know what you're moving into. If they have certain rules that you don't agree with, perhaps you should recognize it's not the right fit for you, instead of moving in and causing a big stink and acting like you didn't know before moving.

notanota 3 years, 9 months ago

Shouldn't you expect people to abide by the law in every neighborhood you move into?

pizzapete 3 years, 9 months ago

I think they should be able to stay open until 2 am, serve hard alcohol, and have block parties anytime KU football, baseball, or basketball is having a home game. In fact, I think the city should allow them to build a 10 story hotel or apt building on that site.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 9 months ago

I would guess most KU students locate in that neighborhood due to the close proximity to KU. NOT becuase of bars and party hounds.

It easier to walk or ride a bike when located close to a university. This is a sensible choice.

I would guess the greater majority of students do NOT stay up all night frequently.