Archive for Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Two KUPD officers sustain minor injuries in altercation near Summerfield Hall

June 28, 2011, 1:01 a.m. Updated June 28, 2011, 11:31 a.m.

Two Kansas University public safety officers sustained minor injuries Monday evening after an altercation with a transient man near Summerfield Hall on the 1300 block of Sunnyside Avenue on KU's campus.

KU officers were dispatched to Summerfield when a transient man refused to leave the building around 11 p.m., according to KU police Capt. Mark Witt.

A custodial worker informed the man that the building was closed. When he did not leave, the worker contacted KUPD to report him for trespassing.

Three KU police officers arrived on the scene and presented the man with a notice to appear in court for trespassing. The man, who said he was born in 1962, refused to sign the notice. When told that he would be arrested if he did not sign it, he became aggressive and an altercation ensued for about five minutes, Witt said.

Police used pepper spray to subdue the suspect, some of which injured one of the officers. The suspect checked out with no injuries before being transported to Douglas County Jail by the Lawrence Police Department.

KUPD requested backup from Lawrence police but had the situation under control by the time they arrived.

Law enforcement officials are still investigating the suspect’s identity.

Comments

SEsco10 3 years, 10 months ago

Someone tell white owl its only June & not football season yet

kuprof54 3 years, 10 months ago

Dean Fuerst? I know you've tried to hold on no matter what, but it's time to go. Teaching will be ok...I promise. It's not like there have been inventions in IST since you'v been in school. I mean computers, the cloud, twitter, facebook, P2P, ......oh wait....maybe google some of those. Oh what am I saying....google...maybe a dictionary is better.

somedude20 3 years, 10 months ago

Charley Sheen uses mace in place of butter on his toast but Chuck Norris uses it as mouthwash!

vuduchyld 3 years, 10 months ago

Crystal ball story? Here in Lawrence, it's still Tuesday morning.

1029 3 years, 10 months ago

I can't believe they still hassled this guy even after he told them he was born in 1962.

Beth Ennis 3 years, 10 months ago

Please tell me I haven't missed a day this week? This says Tuesday night and isn't today Tuesday? I had to look at the calendar to make sure I was on the right day! (-:

WHY 3 years, 10 months ago

It's 3 on 1 we need backup. This old homeless man is beating 3 of KU's finest.

ctrowbridge 3 years, 10 months ago

Sorry about the confusion on the day of the week. It's fixed now. Thanks for the catch! — Caroline Trowbridge, community editor

goodcountrypeople 3 years, 10 months ago

KUPD officers injure themselves with their own mace? Maybe there's a lesson about aggression and revenge in this story. KU is already starting to get the bad karma it has coming. Bring it on!

Fire_all_politicians 3 years, 10 months ago

Why all the baggin' on the KU cops? Are they no good?

fu7il3 3 years, 10 months ago

They arrested a guy who fought them without sending him to the hospital. I think they ought to get some credit for that.

Russell Fryberger 3 years, 10 months ago

Good thing it wasn't a gun battle. We'd have lost a cop.

Kris_H 3 years, 10 months ago

Have you ever been around sprayed mace/pepper spray? It's really easy to catch some blowback. I wonder why they didn't tase him instead, are they not trained on tasers?