Archive for Monday, June 27, 2011

Tonganoxie hires Randy Weseman as interim superintendent

June 27, 2011, 6:58 p.m. Updated June 28, 2011, 12:22 a.m.

A retired Lawrence school superintendent is heading to Tonganoxie to replace that district’s superintendent, who recently accepted an administrative position with the Lawrence school district.

The Tonganoxie school board hired longtime Lawrence educator and administrator Randy Weseman by a 7-0 vote during a special meeting Monday. The board met in executive session for 10 minutes before approving Weseman’s hire as interim superintendent.

“This is a situation where I’ve had a full career and am retired and Tonganoxie is in a situation where they need an interim superintendent to give them time to fill the position long-term,” Weseman said Monday night.

Weseman, who worked entirely in the Lawrence school district for the duration of his educational career, said that his accepting the position was to be contingent upon having good chemistry with the Tonganoxie school board. Weseman said that, after meeting with the board during his interview, it was a “pretty easy decision” once he was offered the position.

“I think it’s going to be a pretty good marriage for a year,” Weseman said.

He will receive a one-year salary of $90,000 and a $75-per-month cellphone stipend. He’s also been offered insurance benefits through the district. Because Weseman is retired, the Tonganoxie school district must pay a 20 percent penalty to KPERS, which is another $18,000.

He will begin his employment in Tonganoxie on Friday.

Originally from the western Kansas community of Dighton, Weseman served in the Air Force and then graduated from Kansas University. He student-taught in Lawrence before being hired as a high school teacher in 1976. He later taught at the junior high level and was a building administrator, both as assistant principal and principal, at the junior high level before eventually being named superintendent in 2000. He retired in 2009.

Following retirement, Weseman has done some consulting for the Kansas Association of School Boards, which gave his name to the Tonganoxie district as a potential interim superintendent.

Asked about returning to education administration during the current climate that includes continued state funding cuts, Weseman said it’s nothing new to him. Though he said districts are facing challenging times, he said he’s had “a lot of experience with budgets that were under stress with lack of state funding. It’s nothing new to me.”

Weseman, 62, replaces Superintendent Kyle Hayden, who recently accepted an administrative position with the Lawrence school district. Hayden’s last day in Tonganoxie is Thursday.

“We made it by the July 1 deadline. We’re very happy,” said Diane Truesdell, Tonganoxie school board president. “We were looking for someone with experience and we feel (Weseman) has lots of enthusiasm and we’re looking forward to working with him.”

Weseman oversaw the seventh largest school district in the state while in Lawrence. Enrollment in the Lawrence district this past school year was about 10,600, compared with 1,900 students in the Tonganoxie district.

“I’m certainly aware of how small towns work and the issues they face,” Weseman said. “They all want the best for their kids and their community, and that’s how I plan to serve them.”

Comments

weeslicket 2 years, 9 months ago

ha. ha. randy weseman. good luck, tongie.

Alceste 2 years, 9 months ago

not_holroyd: I'd make a quippy remark, but I'm sorta busy at the moment calculating how much money I've made after my purchase of F for $2.13 per share a while back. I'm also busily calculating how to hide the six renters I have in one of my run down Oread properties. After I get that done, I'm gonna do the same thing to one of the properties I control out Alvamar and Wakarusa way.

"Go West, young man...." my Daddy Warbucks Daddy borrowed from Greely and stated to me. He wasn't kidding. Buying up those West Lawrence/East Topeka McMansions and sneaking 6 or 8 students into luxury housing is proving to be most profitable. The net profit is over $3,000.00 per month and that's just for starters. As I type this post, I'm also working on getting a place or three out by Lew so he can be around his fans. We wouldn't want him to be all alone out that way. Know what I mean, Vern?

not_holroyd 2 years, 9 months ago

Both One-Eye and Alceste despise public employees, of all sorts. Their posts on this site prove that beyond any doubt.

Just two of several Oread slumlords who think they have great private sector business minds by dint of their ability to profit from a captive student rental market.

Ha.

Chimes 2 years, 9 months ago

The folks of Tonganoxie will be lucky to work with Mr. Weseman. He will let students, parents, and staff all know that they are important and valued. Such support from leadership is vital in the current climate, which seems to encourage the denigration of educators. Best wishes to Mr. Weseman and the Tonganoxie schools.

InspectorJo 2 years, 9 months ago

"I just don't understand really, why he and others take a 90,000 dollar job that someone else may need. I really dont! What about Weseman's wife? Is she teaching someplace? Is she retired?"

Really,....what planet are you from. Here you are criticizing someone because he has the knowledge and experience to help the Tonganoxie school district out, while improving his financial situation. I call this very Intelligent not Greed, and then you have the nerve to bring his wife into it. Looks like you could learn a learn or two from him and quit your damn whining. There is a reason why you are where you are in your life....think about it.

Cindy Yulich 2 years, 9 months ago

Weseman is an experienced educator and administrator - exactly what is needed to help the Tonganoxie district transition while they search for their next superintendent. They are fortunate to have found that in Weseman.

Salvia 2 years, 9 months ago

The "ol boys' network" is alive and well!

oneeye_wilbur 2 years, 9 months ago

So is Weseman collecting a pension from employment at USD 497?

This is a replay of the former Superintendent Neuswander who rode the train into town and got a job as a consultant with USD 497 after leaving.

It is no wonder that the school districts need so much money.

So Tonganoxie is out another $18,000. That would have hired someone to work in food service.

Quite frankly, it is pure greed on Weseman's part. He could have taken employment in the private sector and drawn a salary from an employer that was contributing to the tax base.

Go for broke and that is what the school districts are doing to the public. It will happen!

Alceste 2 years, 9 months ago

Him that has, gets.....what a joke.....a sad one at that....but still a joke.....

multiagelearner 2 years, 9 months ago

Lucky them....we are stuck with Doll. I think we got the short end of the stick.

irvan moore 2 years, 9 months ago

it's like deja vu all over again