Archive for Monday, June 27, 2011

Tonganoxie hires Randy Weseman as interim superintendent

June 27, 2011, 6:58 p.m. Updated June 28, 2011, 12:22 a.m.

A retired Lawrence school superintendent is heading to Tonganoxie to replace that district’s superintendent, who recently accepted an administrative position with the Lawrence school district.

The Tonganoxie school board hired longtime Lawrence educator and administrator Randy Weseman by a 7-0 vote during a special meeting Monday. The board met in executive session for 10 minutes before approving Weseman’s hire as interim superintendent.

“This is a situation where I’ve had a full career and am retired and Tonganoxie is in a situation where they need an interim superintendent to give them time to fill the position long-term,” Weseman said Monday night.

Weseman, who worked entirely in the Lawrence school district for the duration of his educational career, said that his accepting the position was to be contingent upon having good chemistry with the Tonganoxie school board. Weseman said that, after meeting with the board during his interview, it was a “pretty easy decision” once he was offered the position.

“I think it’s going to be a pretty good marriage for a year,” Weseman said.

He will receive a one-year salary of $90,000 and a $75-per-month cellphone stipend. He’s also been offered insurance benefits through the district. Because Weseman is retired, the Tonganoxie school district must pay a 20 percent penalty to KPERS, which is another $18,000.

He will begin his employment in Tonganoxie on Friday.

Originally from the western Kansas community of Dighton, Weseman served in the Air Force and then graduated from Kansas University. He student-taught in Lawrence before being hired as a high school teacher in 1976. He later taught at the junior high level and was a building administrator, both as assistant principal and principal, at the junior high level before eventually being named superintendent in 2000. He retired in 2009.

Following retirement, Weseman has done some consulting for the Kansas Association of School Boards, which gave his name to the Tonganoxie district as a potential interim superintendent.

Asked about returning to education administration during the current climate that includes continued state funding cuts, Weseman said it’s nothing new to him. Though he said districts are facing challenging times, he said he’s had “a lot of experience with budgets that were under stress with lack of state funding. It’s nothing new to me.”

Weseman, 62, replaces Superintendent Kyle Hayden, who recently accepted an administrative position with the Lawrence school district. Hayden’s last day in Tonganoxie is Thursday.

“We made it by the July 1 deadline. We’re very happy,” said Diane Truesdell, Tonganoxie school board president. “We were looking for someone with experience and we feel (Weseman) has lots of enthusiasm and we’re looking forward to working with him.”

Weseman oversaw the seventh largest school district in the state while in Lawrence. Enrollment in the Lawrence district this past school year was about 10,600, compared with 1,900 students in the Tonganoxie district.

“I’m certainly aware of how small towns work and the issues they face,” Weseman said. “They all want the best for their kids and their community, and that’s how I plan to serve them.”

Comments

multiagelearner 3 years, 6 months ago

Lucky them....we are stuck with Doll. I think we got the short end of the stick.

Alceste 3 years, 6 months ago

Him that has, gets.....what a joke.....a sad one at that....but still a joke.....

Matthew Herbert 3 years, 6 months ago

I never thought I would hear a decision to work in public education criticized as being "pure greed".

Salvia 3 years, 6 months ago

The "ol boys' network" is alive and well!

Cindy Yulich 3 years, 6 months ago

Weseman is an experienced educator and administrator - exactly what is needed to help the Tonganoxie district transition while they search for their next superintendent. They are fortunate to have found that in Weseman.

InspectorJo 3 years, 6 months ago

"I just don't understand really, why he and others take a 90,000 dollar job that someone else may need. I really dont! What about Weseman's wife? Is she teaching someplace? Is she retired?"

Really,....what planet are you from. Here you are criticizing someone because he has the knowledge and experience to help the Tonganoxie school district out, while improving his financial situation. I call this very Intelligent not Greed, and then you have the nerve to bring his wife into it. Looks like you could learn a learn or two from him and quit your damn whining. There is a reason why you are where you are in your life....think about it.

Alceste 3 years, 6 months ago

Bull butter, Inspector Jo: Let some NEW IDEAS get into this God forsaken area. The only way to allow new ideas is to allow NEW PEOPLE into the process. It's a CLOSED PROCESS.

As for the guy taking a job in the private sector: The private sector probably would have been far too taxing work wise for a life long civil servant. The truth is that most civil servants cannot secure employment in the private sector and that is why they stay in civil service.

Weseman had his run. It IS simply greed to snarf up free money like that only to provide the same tired old thinking. Idiocy. shrug

Chimes 3 years, 6 months ago

The folks of Tonganoxie will be lucky to work with Mr. Weseman. He will let students, parents, and staff all know that they are important and valued. Such support from leadership is vital in the current climate, which seems to encourage the denigration of educators. Best wishes to Mr. Weseman and the Tonganoxie schools.

Alceste 3 years, 6 months ago

not_holroyd: I'd make a quippy remark, but I'm sorta busy at the moment calculating how much money I've made after my purchase of F for $2.13 per share a while back. I'm also busily calculating how to hide the six renters I have in one of my run down Oread properties. After I get that done, I'm gonna do the same thing to one of the properties I control out Alvamar and Wakarusa way.

"Go West, young man...." my Daddy Warbucks Daddy borrowed from Greely and stated to me. He wasn't kidding. Buying up those West Lawrence/East Topeka McMansions and sneaking 6 or 8 students into luxury housing is proving to be most profitable. The net profit is over $3,000.00 per month and that's just for starters. As I type this post, I'm also working on getting a place or three out by Lew so he can be around his fans. We wouldn't want him to be all alone out that way. Know what I mean, Vern?

weeslicket 3 years, 6 months ago

ha. ha. randy weseman. good luck, tongie.