Archive for Monday, June 27, 2011

Lawrence High School names new assistant principal

June 27, 2011

Lawrence High School will start the next school year with a new assistant principal.

Mark Preut, who is finishing his sixth year as a junior/senior high principal in the Atchison County Community Schools in Effingham, will assume the full-time position at Lawrence High created by the Lawrence school district. Preut will be a full-time assistant principal, while Felton Avery will handle such administrative responsibilities on a part-time basis.

Preut’s hiring means he will be returning to the school where he had worked for a semester, in 1991-92, when he taught Advanced Placement history and upper-level social studies courses for a teacher who was on sabbatical.

“I’m really looking forward to working at Lawrence High again,” he said. “I began my career student teaching with two superb Lawrence teachers (Paul Stuewe and Fran McNellis) and had my first teaching experience at LHS. My wife is a Lawrence High graduate, so for both of us it’s like coming home.”

Preut earned his bachelor’s degree at Kansas University and a master’s from Benedictine College. He’s worked previously as an assistant principal at Maur Hill-Mount Academy in Atchison, from 1998 to 2005, and a teacher and coach at Maur Hill Prep/Maur Hill Mount Academy, from 1992 to 2005.

“Mark is a student-focused administrator and a great fit for LHS,” said Matt Brungardt, principal at Lawrence High. “He has a wealth of experience in the areas of school improvement and professional learning communities. Mark understands the importance of building relationships with students, parents, colleagues and community members in order to provide a positive school climate for student achievement.”

Still serving on the school’s leadership team are Margene Brohammer, associate principal; and Mike Norris and Avery as assistant principals.

Comments

Sharon Roullins 2 years, 9 months ago

Thank you for the post coleja. I was beginning to think this was a one-sided affair. I try not to bad mouth people, but I had to put up with his foolishness at Kennedy. Thankfully I didn't have to deal with him at LHS! I welcome the new VP and hope the staff continues to improve.

coleja 2 years, 9 months ago

Avery is a clown and needs to be fired. There are so many parents that have complained about him I'm surprised he has lasted this long. He targets certain kids and literally makes it a point to keep them in trouble. A mother told me that Avery suspended her son and didn't allow him to call her and when she called to speak with Avery about the situation he wouldn't return her phone calls. I'm glad that they finally hired someone new and I'm looking forward to the many improvements the schools have made for this upcoming fall.

Deb Engstrom 2 years, 9 months ago

So because you had a run-in with him, he is automatically arrogant, unconcerned, and ineffective????

Deb Engstrom 2 years, 9 months ago

Sharon Roullins 2 years, 9 months ago

When Avery was principal at Kennedy, I had a run-in with him. He wouldn't address a bullying problem concerning my daughter. He is arrogant and unconcerned about the real issues. He was ineffective at LHS and I'm not sure why they are keeping him around. I welcome someone that is willing to work for the student's best interest.

labmonkey 2 years, 9 months ago

This position was just added... how many teachers' jobs could have been saved by not adding an administrator position?

Paula Kissinger 2 years, 9 months ago

Great...another outsider brought in when there are plenty of qualified people right here. Their last great attempt at bringing in some "refreshing" new blood just left for Nebraska (thank God). They just don't learn...the district doesn't learn from it's previous mistakes. Doesn't learn ? No wonder our kids don't learn.

Scott Morgan 2 years, 9 months ago

fellow citizens, I would like to introduce a young man with aspiring visions to run or district for the next 30 years. No wait, we are gaining a retread super from a large district. Nice job Tongy school district.

nascar 2 years, 9 months ago

Why did the district not get rid of Avery? Ineffective at more than one level but the district administration won't cut him loose?