From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for June 24, 1971:
- After a long process that had begun in 1958, the city of Lawrence finally had "broken into the urban renewal business" with the awarding of a $550,000 federal grant to the city. The Neighborhood Development Program or NDP grant was to run for several years but was funded on an annual basis. The project for the first year of funding was the revitalization of downtown Lawrence.
- The stars of the 27th annual Lawrence Charity Horse Show -- hundreds of horses from as far away as Texas, Indiana, Oklahoma, and Nebraska -- had begun to arrive at the county fairgrounds. Proceeds from the show were to be donated to the Fraternal Order of Police.