Archive for Thursday, June 23, 2011

Two Fort Leavenworth soldiers arrested as suspects in KU campus armed robbery

June 23, 2011, 8:33 p.m. Updated June 23, 2011, 8:55 p.m.

Two male Kansas University students reported being approached by two men, both of whom were armed with a gun, behind Snow Hall at about 1:45 Thursday morning, a KU official said.

The suspects demanded and took property from the victims before leaving the scene, said Jill Jess, a KU spokeswoman.

Lawrence police found the suspects about 20 minutes later, Jess said.

KU police interviewed the suspects — a 23-year-old Fort Leavenworth man and a 21-year-old Fort Leavenworth man — before arresting them on suspicion of aggravated robbery and intimidation of a witness or victim, according to jail records.

Both are expected to appear in Douglas County District Court today to face formal charges.

A Fort Leavenworth spokeswoman confirmed that both suspects are soldiers stationed at the U.S. Army post, but said she would not release further details until the suspects were charged.

Jess said representatives from KU’s Office of the Vice Provost for Student Success offered assistance to the victims.

No one was physically injured in the incident.

The Journal-World generally does not name criminal suspects until they are charged.

Comments

Fire_all_politicians 4 years ago

Why would they be arrested for suspicion of Aggravated Battery, and not Aggravated Robbery ?

gsxr600 4 years ago

Absolutely unacceptable, complete disgrace

xclusive85 4 years ago

Both are expected to appear in Douglas County District Court todayFriday to face formal charges.

What?

DRsmith 4 years ago

Not a surprise really. The military has gotten to the point of accepting all kinds. I certainly wouldn't want to live on an Army post.

ljwhirled 4 years ago

Military members are far less likely to commit a crime than the their civilian counter parts. When you look at the crime statistics for a military installation vs. a comparable sized US city, violent crime is far lower with members of the military.

A study done in 2007 using data from 298 military installations found no correlation between the presence of the military and the incidence of crime in the surrounding community. ( http://repec.rwi-essen.de/files/REP_10_211.pdf )

These two (if guilty) are the exception, not the rule and will be prosecuted under both civilian law and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. I expect they will receive far harsher treatment ( including a dishonorable discharge ) than similar thugs who are not in uniform.

DeltaWhiskey 4 years ago

"The military has gotten to the point of accepting all kinds."
The military is trying to get rid of service-members right now for budgetary reasons. In getting rid of service-members, they are only keeping the finest of the finest. Please do not make generalizations about the men and women in uniform.

I'm sorry you wouldn't want to live on an Army post amongst such heroes and their families who sacrifice so much. Those are the people I surround myself with and I couldn't be more safe. There is no community greater than a military community.

These men will be handled by the military and you can bet they will receive much harsher penalty than what a civilian would receive.

The military is a concentrated, smaller representation of society. Don't forget that.

DRsmith 4 years ago

I have lived on an army base and like I said, I wouldn't want to live on one now. I understand the budgetary problem now, up until a couple years ago this was not the case. On the other hand, I have also lived on Air Force facility, 100 times better than the army post.

optimist 4 years ago

And what exactly do you base this statement on? I realize this post is anonymous like many of us but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't maintain a filter between our brains and our keyboards. This is just a dumb statement that comes across as a hateful anti-military prejudice. I suggest you take a moment to thank the real soldiers, sailors and airmen who continue to protect your right to say dumb things in spite of how dumb they really are.

swksgirl 4 years ago

I bet the court marshall they get and the punishment is way worse than whatever they get in county court!!

Tom McCune 4 years ago

Ft. Leavenworth isn't really a "normal" army base. There aren't any troop units there. It exists because of the Command and General Staff College, which is all senior-level officers. The military prison ("detention barracks") is also there. The only enlisted people I ever knew there were a few MPs, engineers, and guards for the DB. Ft. Leavenworth has more "brass" than anyplace in the country except Washington, DC.

LJW: Are you sure the suspects aren't soldiers from Ft. Riley? That would make more sense.

britt408 4 years ago

actually, there are quite a few enlisted soldiers at fort leavenworth...a lot of them are in MP units. plus there are single soldier quarters, where most of the younger soldiers live. certainly not as many as ft. hood or riley, but i doubt the LJW got that wrong.

Kontum1972 4 years ago

fyi...once they are convicted in civil court unless some sort of deal is made they will serve their time in the lawrence county jail then they will be transferred to the fort where charges will be brought against them, they will be court-martialed, then they will serve the rest of their time they owe Uncle Sugar in the US Disciplinary Barracks you just dont walk out of what you owe in time. US ARMY -------> Uncle Sam Ain't Released Me Yet!

Its is gonna suck for them....really suck!

They just black-balled themselves for life....!

Kontum1972 4 years ago

if they thought pulling this robbery was gonna get them out of the army....think again...they got ya by the cahones'.....

costello 4 years ago

"both of whom were armed with a gun"

Why does that sound wrong to me? I mean grammatically, not morally.

"both of whom were armed with guns"? "each of whom was armed with a gun"?

Where's an English major when you need one?

jayhawkster 4 years ago

Maybe it was one really big gun. Machine gun with an assistant? Maybe to hold the belt-fed ammo? I dunno, but definitely reads wrong to me too.