Archive for Wednesday, June 22, 2011

City commission votes to allow residents to pick fruit grown in Lawrence parks

June 22, 2011

A group of residents had asked the city to change the policy after it was learned city code prohibited the practice. The city’s Parks and Recreation Department said it didn’t object to the change, as long as it was not the beginning of an effort to get the city to plant more fruit trees.

The department said fruit trees could create maintenance and sanitary concerns, especially if large amounts of fruit went unpicked and was allowed to rot on the ground. Currently, the city has only a limited number of fruit-producing plants in its parks.

Comments

Bill Lee 3 years, 6 months ago

Where are the trees and bushes mentioned in the article?

BigPrune 3 years, 6 months ago

Were these the same citizens who made the failed promise to pull all the nasty weeds in our parks so the City would stop using herbicides, or is this a different group?

As for the people who made the weed pulling promise they reneged on, actions speak louder than words - you didn't keep your end of the bargain, so I petition the City to commence spraying the weed and feed. Most of the weeds would be gone by the 4th if they started spraying today. :)

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 6 months ago

I agree. It's Gawd's will that our parks be toxic wastelands. Otherwise, He wouldn't have invented toxic chemicals.

cowboy 3 years, 6 months ago

I agree , the parks look lousy , I think alot of the mowing has been contracted out and they aren't doing as nice a job as they used to.

somedude20 3 years, 6 months ago

Good luck getting the fruit as the hardest worker people in no business (da bums) will be gettin first dibs on it so they can mash it up with their cheap vodka and ditch weed. Also, this is all Obama's fault and aliens killed off the dinosaurs.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop huffing video head cleaner

Sigmund 3 years, 6 months ago

"Commissioners unanimously agreed to change a city ordinance to allow residents to pick fruit from trees and bushes that grow in city parks."

Thanks you Massa, Sir. Just don't beat us no mo.

unite2revolt 3 years, 6 months ago

Something tells me this wasn't the LPD's top priority.

mattsande22 3 years, 5 months ago

Hi all,

I would really appreciate it if anyone knew the location of all the different kinds of edible fruit, vegetables and plants!

Primarily I'm interested in fruits, veggies and plants on KU campus, however, I would love a few tips on where to find these little treasure throughout the city of Lawrence too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!