Tornado watch canceled for Douglas County

June 19, 2011, 7:07 p.m. Updated June 19, 2011, 11:14 p.m.

Kansas weather updates, via Twitter

11:10 p.m.

The National Weather Service has canceled the tornado watch that was originally issued for Douglas County until 2 a.m. Monday.

7:07 p.m.

The National Weather Service has issued a tornado watch for Douglas County until 2 a.m. Monday. Surrounding counties also under the tornado watch include Johnson, Leavenworth, Shawnee and Jefferson.

Thunderstorms accompanied by lightning, wind gusts up to 80 miles per hour and hail up to four inches in diameter are also possible in these areas.

Follow LJWorld on Twitter

Comments

Multidisciplinary 2 years, 10 months ago

These guys/chasers got vid of the one by Emporia that was NO where on regular radar sites..zippo. And they have photos of the cell by White City. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002474491965

tange 2 years, 10 months ago

Actually, I sleep best when the sky is alive. Hopefully, ours will be a soothing (if not non-) event.

bigpimpin 2 years, 10 months ago

Would love some F4 or F5 action in these parts. Been too long since we got one. COME ON BABY!

riverdrifter 2 years, 10 months ago

Chasers to the cheap motels of east central Kansas. Supper at McDougies. Tomorrow is another day -400 miles away.

gorilla10 2 years, 10 months ago

No threat to the Lawrence area coming out of this cell. I doubt any more will develop tonight.....

tange 2 years, 10 months ago

Just ran an errand across town. There was an eerie darkness in the middle of the western sky.

riverdrifter 2 years, 10 months ago

Man, that storm out by Dwight is still warned after well over an hour. Take cover cousin Malcom in Dwight! BTW, the D is Dwight is pronounced.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 10 months ago

"TOB, you're right: I-70 = 79 mph to get to a storm. " River

Nine miles over. /fist bump.

"I'm scared. I live in a 2nd floor apartment, so I guess the only thing I can do it tie my self to my toilet with a rope and pray that I can hold on to my two cats. "

Don't be scared. Be aware and prepared. And do not tie yourself to a toilet. You'll be the most tattered and battered body the search and rescure crew will see.

gsxr600 2 years, 10 months ago

I'd be more worried if I were in Nebraska....

kusadgirl 2 years, 10 months ago

tange 2 years, 10 months ago

I just got this weird urge to head for the Rockies. It's probably nothing.

Doppleganger 2 years, 10 months ago

Every 20 years sounds like a ghostly possibility. Thank goodness K-mart is gone.

Currant 2 years, 10 months ago

I, for one, would like to have a storm-free night of sleep...

riverdrifter 2 years, 10 months ago

TOB, you're right: I-70 = 79 mph to get to a storm. This storm is still radar indicated.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 10 months ago

"The supercell south of Manhattan went tornadic at 757pm. Storm chasers are on it" RIver

I was reading earlier this afternoon that the chasers were lined up between Topeka and Salina. I was befuddled. The professionals had this all north of 36. Maybe 70 is just an easy jumping off point when there was some uncertainity.

riverdrifter 2 years, 10 months ago

The supercell south of Manhattan went tornadic at 757pm. Storm chasers are on it.

kernal 2 years, 10 months ago

Who is it that wants to make OZ a tourist attraction?

larrydog 2 years, 10 months ago

With the intense humidity today, I have a bad feeling too.

kusadgirl 2 years, 10 months ago

I have a real bad feeling about this watch.