Sports

Sports

Baggy pants lead to New Mexico football player’s arrest

June 17, 2011

— A University of New Mexico football player’s saggy pants led to his arrest and removal from an airplane at San Francisco International Airport, authorities said Thursday.

DeShon Marman, 20, was boarding a flight Wednesday to Albuquerque, N.M., when a US Airways employee noticed his pants were below his buttocks, and his boxer shorts were showing, Sgt. Michael Rodriguez of the San Francisco Police Department told the San Francisco Chronicle.

Marman refused the employee’s request to pull up his pants and failed to comply immediately when she asked him to get off the plane, Rodriguez said, adding Marman injured a police officer when he was being arrested.

The player was arrested on suspicion of trespassing, battery of a police officer and obstruction of a police investigation, Rodriguez told the Associated Press.

Marman’s mother, Donna Doyle, told the newspaper her son was emotionally fragile after the funeral of his close friend, who died 11 days after being shot.

A US Airways spokesperson said the airline forbids inappropriate attire.

College Football

UNC forced to make records public

Raleigh, N.C. — North Carolina has released documents showing a group of Tar Heel football players accumulated more than $13,000 in parking citations over a 31⁄2-year period.

The school released the documents Thursday, a day after the state Court of Appeals denied the school’s request to delay the release of those records pending an appeal. A Wake County Superior Court judge had ruled in April that the school withheld documents it should have provided to requesting media outlets covering the NCAA investigation into the football program.

The documents show that the players combined for 395 citations between March 2007 and August 2010, though the records don’t specify which players received each violation. The citations ranged in penalty from $5 for improperly displaying a parking permit to $250 for parking in a fire lane or in a handicapped parking space.

The citations totaled $13,185.

College Basketball

UK changes Calipari’s win total

Lexington, Ky. — It turns out Kentucky coach John Calipari hasn’t reached 500 career victories after all.

The school says it will change Calipari’s career record because of 42 vacated victories from his time at Memphis and Massachusetts. In a statement, Kentucky said it had consulted with the NCAA and determined it was “in error” to have celebrated Calipari’s 500th career win against Florida on Feb. 26.

The school says it will report Calipari’s career record “consistent with the NCAA’s official records and statistics.”

NBA

NBA gets ‘A’ for diverse hiring

The NBA received the highest grade ever issued on racial and gender hiring practices among men’s professional leagues, continuing a recent trend.

The league received an A+ for race and an A- on gender for a combined A in this year’s Racial and Gender Report Card from the Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport at the University of Central Florida.

While the NFL and Major League Baseball have shown significant improvement on racial and gender hiring in recent years, the NBA is the only men’s pro league to receive a combined A. TIDES has been studying diversity hiring in sports since 1987.

“I think it’s the leadership of (NBA Commissioner) David Stern,” said Dr. Richard Lapchick, director of TIDES.

Mavs fans celebrate title

Dallas — The face of the Dallas Mavericks laughed, sang and even seemed to tear up.

For Dirk Nowitzki, the only thing that could come close to being an NBA champion for the first time was celebrating it with the fans in his adopted hometown of Dallas.

An estimated crowd of 200,000 crammed downtown Thursday for a parade in the team’s honor, with another 20,000 or so filling the arena for a rally filled with emotional moments.

MLB

Pirates catcher’s wife attacked

Pittsburgh — A man attacked the wife of Pirates catcher Chris Snyder in a traffic dispute while Snyder sat in the car, unable to get out because he’d had back surgery, Pittsburgh police said.

Carla Snyder and the scooter-riding man, Subhash Arjanbhi Modhwadia, nearly collided Wednesday. The 44-year-old Modhwadia followed her to a gas station, kicked the vehicle and swung at Carla Snyder, police said. He also ripped a mirror off the car.

NHL

Wild name Yeo as new coach

St. Paul, Minn. — For the second time in two years, Chuck Fletcher is sticking his neck out on the rising star instead of the recycled vet.

The Wild general manager hopes the second time goes better than the first.

Mike Yeo, who at 37 is even younger than his predecessor Todd Richards was when hired as Wild coach, will become the youngest coach in the NHL when he’s introduced at a news conference at 11 a.m. today.

The bold hire for a team that’s missed the playoffs for three consecutive years comes after Yeo completed his rookie American Hockey League season by guiding the Houston Aeros to the Calder Cup Finals.

Comments

llama726 2 years, 10 months ago

"You're correct that we don't know exactly what happened that precipitated his removal. But we can take some reasonable guesses."

I've repeatedly asked for your reasons behind these reasonable guesses. You are simply insisting that your guesses are more reasonable than mine.

"And we can make some unreasonable guesses as well. I could say that this passenger made a homophobic remark to an Asian flight attendant who appeared to him to be somewhat effeminate."

That accusation hasn't been mentioned by either party, and is hardly relevant. A charge of racial motivation has been mentioned (see the articles I posted above). A charge of disorderly conduct has also been mentioned.

"Or you can claim that racism played a part in this. Of course, I have no idea what the race or sexual orientation of the flight attendant was, I have no knowledge that any homophobic remark was made and you have no information that racism played any part in this."

I have information about similar situations in which authority figures have reacted disproportionately to black people. I've seen studies about similar situations which reveal a greater sense of threat perceived by white people (the captain appeared to be white, as did the police officer) when dealing with a black man.

"Those types of speculative remarks would be inappropriate because there is no evidence of that happening."

There is no evidence (other than word against word) of anything, really, in this case.

"They would be wild guesses at best. Having said that, does the making of these types of wild guesses sound like anyone in this forum?"

I assume you mean me. I've substantiated my claims.

"The biggest difference in the approach that this man took and the one that I recommended is that one would lead to an inconvenience and the other would lead to an even greater inconvenience, assuming we believe being forced off the plane, put under arrest and jailed in considered a greater inconvenience."

And the one I recommended lets everyone fly where they paid to fly on the timetable that they paid to fly there.

"Passivity is one thing. Knowing when you are in a no win situation comes with maturity."

Why is this a no-win situation? How do you know when someone will not listen to your reasons?

"Hopefully, when this young man is my age, he will know the difference. Picking your battles will get you by whether it's on a plane in a marriage or at your workplace. My passivity has caused me to having never been arrested, a long and happy marriage and a successful career. Passivity, maturity, whatever you want to call it."

No doubt, he has growing up to do. As do I. As does everyone. I have been with the same woman for eight years, have been successful in every job I've taken, successful in academics, and I've also never been arrested - and I've spoken for myself in situations where an authority figure was involved - successfully, that is.

llama726 2 years, 10 months ago

I feel like this is a good rundown of the situation.

If the pilot indeed told him (when he said he was human, like everyone else) that he was not like everyone else, then indeed, the pilot acknowledges treating him differently.

Look, I don't see how you can say the kid was guilty if he was in his seat and ready to fly. I think it's POSSIBLE this was a disproportionate response.

beatrice 2 years, 10 months ago

In other news, did you notice that John Calipari had 42 wins stricken from his record? That ain't right!

Talk about pulling a guys pants down in public!

nonracist 2 years, 10 months ago

Think the entire incident says something about his maturity. He needs to grow up and realize world is not his to control and dictate to.

ferrislives 2 years, 10 months ago

Pants on the ground Pants on the ground Lookin' like a fool with your pants on the ground!

beatrice 2 years, 10 months ago

CB, I think Jesse's point, and certainly mine, is that just because we know which department in the store an item is purchased, that doesn't matter. If it covers the skin -- then it covers the skin. Flesh was not exposed. Genitals were not exposed. No exposure, no crime. Bad fashion, certainly, but not a crime. That is the only point. How many rules do you want dictating the things you do? The boxers exposed look might not be your cup of tea, but who says you get to dictate what tea others drink? If you think this is a liberal issue, then are you saying that being in favor of regulating personal conduct is a conservative issue? I thought conservativism was suppose to be about being hands off on regulations.

Can we really dictate the types of material clothing that covers skin is made of?

Roland Gunslinger 2 years, 10 months ago

Can someone explain the difference between a pair of boxer shorts and a pair of any other shorts? They're all made of common materials used to make clothing. They all are worn in the same region of the body.

So what if you can see his boxers. Boxers are no different than a pair of basketball shorts.

beatrice 2 years, 10 months ago

jhf, I guess you are saying they would have to have a "No I Heart Santorum" t-shirt policy first before they could kick you off the plane for wearing such a shirt, correct? I am not a lawyer either (one of my few redeeming qualities, I might add), so I don't know what kind of arbitary dress codes are actually allowed by businesses. If it isn't readily available on a sign or something, can it really be enforced?

cb, from what we can tell, he wasn't showing any sign of unruly behavior until people started telling him to rearrange his clothing. Had they left him alone, there wouldn't have been a problem.

I'm not trying to defend the guy. I'm more curious about what types of dress codes can businesses enforce on their customers. From what I've seen when flying, I'm shocked to learn there is any dress code at all. People dress really poorly to fly anymore. I'll never understand those who wear flip flops on a plane. If something bad were to happen and you are fortunate enough to find yourself wandering around in the middle of a corn field after a crash landing, do you really want to be wearing flip flops?

llama726 2 years, 10 months ago

There are a number of reasonable points worthy of consideration in this instance, but many of you are unwilling to consider them.

1) http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/New-Video-Shows-Saggy-Pants-Dispute-124129129.html

In the video, he isn't acting out of line - but two uniformed men are confronting him, needlessly, as the problem was already addressed. He was already seated, with his pants up, and ready to fly.

The article, though, mentions that he reportedly pulled his pants completely down. I don't know if that's what happened, but that would be a poor decision on his part, I agree. But, he seemed to be fairly reasonable with the captain and the police officer while he was aboard the plane.

2) Many people are upset about me talking about racism. Racism doesn't have to be outright, consciously different treatment. It can be unconscious. I feel like it isn't the only factor here (the fact that he's an athlete and that he's young, and that people tend to defer to the authority figure also play into this). I'm not accusing you guys of being Klansmen. I'm simply saying that you can't deny that race was one factor in this. Enough that this young man was likely treated differently (specifically, the police were called on him) than others might be treated.

3) I'm also not saying this man is innocent completely, either. The provocation of the authority figures in this instance was unnecessary, based on the video I am seeing. The video isn't the complete story. There's room for him to have made bad decisions before and after this. That being said, at the point we're at in the video, if people left him alone and he wasn't still causing a disturbance, the greatest good for the most people would be not to evacuate the plane and arrest the man, but rather to simply fly the plane as scheduled. The situation was made worse by both sides, but people are siding with the authority figures merely because they side with the authority figures by default.

Joe Hyde 2 years, 10 months ago

In Act I, Scene Two, the young man will go before a judge on the charges of resisting arrest and battery of a police officer. If he walks into the courtroom with his pants so low the judge can see his a$$, betcha he gets an extra 30 days in the slam.

jaywalker 2 years, 10 months ago

"I love your "It's not about race, but ..." comment."

Actually, the words were "it's not race specific but...." Nevertheless, please share why you "love" that comment. It wouldn't be because you're the type of person who runs around screaming "Witch!" at anyone who merely mentions race, now would it? Naaaaw.

cheeseburger 2 years, 10 months ago

Personal responsibility and accountability - a concept that apparently neither deec nor llama726 believe in. Blame everyone else. Diss the rules. Always question authority.

You would have likely fit in well with the group in Vancouver the other night!

labmonkey 2 years, 10 months ago

Pants on the ground, pants on the ground. Lookin like a fool with your pants on the ground.

SnakePlisskin 2 years, 10 months ago

Cleavage is still ok though.

The friendly skys. The only way to fly.

kernal 2 years, 10 months ago

If his butt was hanging out for the world to see and the shape of his front of was noticible under his boxers, it's indecent exposure. We weren't there, so who knows if he "accidentally" bumped the officer. I suspect he mouthed off and that's what got things rolling. Attitude speaks volumes.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 10 months ago

Just to summarize, on one side we have a flight attendant who objected to the man's attire. The man's response was such that the flight attendant felt it necessary to call the pilot. The man's response was such that the pilot felt the need to place the man under citizen's arrest, clear the plane of all the other passengers, delay the plane and call the police. The police felt the man's response was such that it was necessary to place him under arrest for resisting arrest and battery on a police officer. That's one side of the equation. On the other side of the equation we have him.

deec 2 years, 10 months ago

If he'd been a young woman to whom god had been kind in the chest region wearing a skin tight sweater and an uber-high mini-skirt or hot pants cut a wee short, would she have been asked to cover up? Doubtful.

llama726 2 years, 10 months ago

"@ deec and llama - while I agree that bad taste in style is not a criminal offense, the young man was given the option of pulling up his pants or leaving the plane."

And we don't know how long they gave him, or how low his pants actually were, or if the flight attendants were being honest... We are going based on hearsay. The fact is, nearly every comment here assumes that a flight attendant was correct. And you do so in part because this is a young person, in part because this is a black person, in part because they don't acquiesce to the ideal you have established for how this person should conduct themselves.

"When he refused to do either, it became trespassing"

He purchased and was rightly ticketed on the airplane. I don't agree with it becoming trespassing, and I don't agree that we have any right to presuppose that this young man didn't comply. In fact:

"He reportedly said that he first refused a demand to pull up his pants upon entering the plane because his hands were full but did ultimately pull up his pants when he reached his seat."

"then he apparently allegedly injured the police officer who was assisting him on how to leave the plane, that becomes battery of the officer."

I don't believe that, either. If he bumps into a police officer on accident, is that battery? Or is it the police officer being too sensitive?

"Compliance in either of the initial requests could have avoided any of the charges lodged against him."

Ah, but we have seen reports that he did comply, as soon as he had his hands free.

"One of the flight attendants on that aircraft was offended by the fact that she could see the outline of his private area,’ Sergeant Michael Rodriguez said.

A legitimate concern, but that happens all the time by accident, and we don't arrest people for it.

jaywalker 2 years, 10 months ago

I see the 'look' quite often down here, it's not race specific but I do see it more often on young black men. What' makes the 'style' even more idiotic is where it came from: Prison. Apparently new cons immediately become someone else's "property" when they first go in. So their "owner" takes their belt as a symbol of subservience.

So, in essence, these guys are walkin' around sportin' that they're somebody's $!@&!.

Brilliant.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 10 months ago

The problem is less his pants than his selfishness. The fact that his underwear was showing, and perhaps the outline of his privates did not matter to him at all. He could care less who saw, be they a little old lady or a group of children. He just doesn't care. He can offend anyone he wants, whenever he wants, and if someone objects, too bad. He's being selfish to an extreme. Now, something bad has happened to him. He was removed from a plane which I'm sure caused him some inconvenience. He may face criminal charges. A couple of posters suggested race may be an issue. Because he cared so little for the feelings of his fellow travelers, I'm having a hard time feeling sorry for him. If he loses his air fare, oh well. If faced with charges that will require time and expense on his part, oh well. If he has to do some community service even if he doesn't think he's done anything so bad to deserve that fate, oh well.
I have a limited amount of sympathy to give. I'll save it for someone more deserving.

SnakePlisskin 2 years, 10 months ago

Cleavage or butt crack?

Which do I mind seeing on a crowded plane.

beatrice 2 years, 10 months ago

I saw snowboarders -- yes, they were white guys -- sporting the look while in competition. I couldn't believe it. They were having to pull their pants up in the middle of stunts. One guy landed hard, with just boxers between him and the hard-packed ice. You could tell it hurt. Made me laugh at the absurdity of it all.

The only way this style of allowing pants to fall past your buttocks and show your undies is when adults -- I mean old people -- start to adopt it. Once we see Regis on tv sporting the look or we see friends of your dad in the mall hanging onto their falling pants will this ridiculous style end. Sadly, it is a style "inspired" by prison wear, in which the prisoners are not allowed belts. Nice.

So grown men, time to take one for the team by letting your pants fall past your hips. Show the kids how stupid it really looks.

MISTERTibbs 2 years, 10 months ago

@ deec and llama - while I agree that bad taste in style is not a criminal offense, the young man was given the option of pulling up his pants or leaving the plane. When he refused to do either, it became trespassing then he apparently allegedly injured the police officer who was assisting him on how to leave the plane, that becomes battery of the officer. Compliance in either of the initial requests could have avoided any of the charges lodged against him.

tolawdjk 2 years, 10 months ago

And yet, when confronted with it, he refused the simple act of pulling his britches up.

Fine, sure, didn't know the code. Once it was pointed out to him, he decided to be a horse's hiney.

llama726 2 years, 10 months ago

Your subtle racism amuses me, LJWorld. I agree with deec. He was arrested for violating a dress code that likely wasn't posted. You're flying on a plane. Who cares? Why do people care this much about this stuff?

deec 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm the last person to excuse athletes for criminal behavior, but it sounds like this guy, probably still in shock and overwhelming grief, was essentially arrested for violating an unwritten dress code. Bad taste in clothing styles shouldn't be a criminal offense.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 10 months ago

Who'd have thought that dressing like Larry Harmon in his alternative-lifestyle rodeo days would become popular with certain sectors of the population?

edjayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

The article didn't mention there was a policy on baggy pants.

geekin_topekan 2 years, 10 months ago

Sagging and returning from a homey's funeral after someone pulled a gat? I hope his football career takes off because his alter ego is a lost cause at 20.

cheeseburger 2 years, 10 months ago

Aww - he was 'emotionally fragile.' I guess that is supposed to be an excuse for whatever he might want to do.

Perhaps he should remain in the loving grasp of his excuse-making mother until he is no longer 'fragile' and can function appropriately in society.

jaywalker 2 years, 10 months ago

To the headline: Good. Has to be the most idiotic k fashion statement of all time.