Archive for Thursday, June 16, 2011

Rod’s Cards and Gifts stores selling out remaining Hallmark merchandise

June 16, 2011

Lawrence is home to hundreds of Hallmark employees who work at one of Hallmark’s major production centers for Hallmark cards, Hallmark ribbons, Hallmark bows and Hallmark-brand stickers.

But the city no longer is home to a Hallmark Gold Crown store.

The former Rod’s Hallmark at 2329 Iowa now operates as Rod’s Cards & Gifts, a change effective two weeks ago for the entire 10-store Rod’s chain, which includes shops from Manhattan to St. Joseph, Mo.

Employees and management at the Lawrence store referred questions to the office of owner Rod Henning, who has been unavailable for comment. While the office voicemail still answers as “Rod’s Hallmark,” Henning’s chain no longer is receiving deliveries from Hallmark and instead is looking into offering cards and other products from either American Greetings or Designer Greetings.

“It was a personal decision with Rod,” said Taylor Wallace, a supervisor at the Manhattan store.

The Rod’s stores are selling out of their remaining inventories of Hallmark cards, wrapping paper and other items.

Rod’s has several stores in and around Kansas City, Mo., where Hallmark Cards Inc. has its corporate headquarters; Rod’s also has a store in Leavenworth, where Hallmark has a plant that makes Hallmark bags and other party items.

Within the past year, Rod’s closed its store in Topeka, where Hallmark has another production center.

While Hallmark sells cards through “mass channels” — such as supermarkets, drugstores and other retailers — in Lawrence and elsewhere, its Gold Crown stores are considered the premier channel for distributing its cards, gifts and other items for decorating and entertaining. There are more than 3,000 Gold Crown stores in the United States, of which 385 are owned by Hallmark itself.

Linda Odell, a Hallmark spokeswoman, said she could not comment about any individual retailer but acknowledged that Hallmark would look into opportunities to return the Gold Crown flag to Lawrence, which has had a production plant at 101 McDonald Drive since 1958.

“Anytime a store closes, we are always looking at the location and what the business and consumer needs are to see whether it is feasible to put in another Hallmark Gold Crown store,” Odell said. “Clearly, if there’s Hallmark Gold Crown business to be done, we would like to do that.”

Comments

Keith 3 years, 6 months ago

This store didn't close, it just stopped carrying your products.

Kent Fisher 3 years, 6 months ago

Whether or not the store remains open is irrelevant, the Hallmark franchise did indeed close.

Steve Jacob 3 years, 6 months ago

Do people still by cards? And if so, do they buy the $3-$4 Hallmark kind?

redrose 3 years, 6 months ago

In the 50's the typical buyer of Hallmark cards was the 30 something housewife, in the 60's a 40 something housewife, in the 70's a 50 something housewife, in the 80's a 60 something housewife, in the 90's a 70 something housewife, in 2000 she was 80, now she lives in Brandon Woods and can't drive any more.

LadyJ 3 years, 6 months ago

Amazing, just had the exact same experience. $120 items going for $2.50.

Curtis Lange 3 years, 6 months ago

Hallmark cards are the only reason I went to Rod's. Guess Hy-Vee's card selection will be getting my business even more now. Is there an over/under going for how long the business stays open now? I give it until January 2012.

Reuben Turner 3 years, 6 months ago

you referring to the card shop or the hallmark plant?

rockchalker52 3 years, 6 months ago

Greeting someone with a card through the mail is great fun. I hereby resolve to do more of it.

blindrabbit 3 years, 6 months ago

True, Lawrence has plenty of current and former Hallmark employees, but they are not the typical card shop buyers; they send plenty of cards, but buy products discounted at the in-plant employee "card shop". My guess is that all of the previous posts are "right on", Kinda of a dying industry!, Not to mention the ever-increasing postage costs.

BruceWayne 3 years, 6 months ago

non related, but when did little ceasars close?

BruceWayne 3 years, 6 months ago

thanks! I am not a fan but for birthday parties and kids sleepovers hey are hard to beat. They should have a sign at the old location informong of the new location.

ChootemLiz 3 years, 6 months ago

The Rod's store in Topeka was never a Hallmark store, and Topeka still has two Hallmark stores.

Little Ceaser's moved to 6th St. by Hy-Vee.

sassykansan 3 years, 6 months ago

I miss the Palace, too. It used to be my favorite store downtown.

corduroypants 3 years, 6 months ago

Tried to find a Father's Day card at a drugstore that carries the American Greetings line. They were all awful.

Reuben Turner 3 years, 6 months ago

I went to that card shop the other month and they claimed that nothing was wrong(guess they didn't know). Anyway, hallmarks cards will always be my card of choice. And rods will find out soon that he made a grave mistake.

Keith 3 years, 6 months ago

"Also remember that Hallmark is based in Kansas City, so it is as close to local as you can get for greeting cards... So if there is anything sappy, it is the idea that some more distant company is better to do business with. No wonder our country is going down the tube."

Check the back, you'll be surprised at how many are made in China. Can't get more local than that!

Curtis Lange 3 years, 6 months ago

The point is, the company is still based out of Kansas City...

Stephanie Harris 3 years, 6 months ago

Not really...my sister is a designer for Hallmark and she lives in Lawrence. Also, most of the designers and writers are local (KC area).

Keith 3 years, 6 months ago

Oops, my mistake, those are the jobs that matter, you can manufacture cards anywhere.

loosecaboose 3 years, 6 months ago

My wife just informed me we will now have to drive to Olathe for cards. I am glad because they also have a Lowes!

JAYHAWK999 3 years, 6 months ago

Kontum1972 3 years, 6 months ago

just get a sharpie and some paper...and doodle something up its cheaper....saves gas,,,and they appreciate it more since u took the time to design it... the key is be creative....i still have cards my kid designed for me..u dont throw those away..

Danielle Brunin 3 years, 6 months ago

Exactly. I quit buying cards when I had children. Sure, my inlaws probably think I'm cheap for not buying "real" cards (they buy the $6 ones), but then they look like monsters for not appreciating a child's artwork. hehehe

jlzack 3 years, 6 months ago

I used to buy cards at Hallmark, but in this economy, who can afford a $6.00 + card? or expensive picture frames? I love their Christmas ornaments, I USED to collect them. I bought a new ornament every year for each of my kids & grandkids. But I've switched to Pier One (after Christmas sales) and Wal-Mart cards. Most cards are pitched a couple days later anyway, so why spend a small fortune on them & postage?

kujayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

The Wal-Mart cards might be Hallmark cards, just branded under a different name.

rumor_man 3 years, 6 months ago

Does this mean that they'll be expanding their Precious Moments section?

JAYHAWK999 3 years, 6 months ago

sinkorswim 3 years, 6 months ago

I wondered what was going on with Rod's. I like some of their holiday decor and buy Christmas cards and gift wrap stuff there every year. Maybe I'm a dying breed, but I love buying and giving greeting cards for birthdays, anniversaries, and holidays...as well as cards for my hubby for no particular reason several times a year...and I'm not old enogh to be called "elderly!"

somedude20 3 years, 6 months ago

Cards cost almost as much as smokes so I just buy em a pack, write something nice on it (I even pack them for the person) or I will just buy a gallon of gas, write on the container and mail it to them. Happy Fathers Day dad, got you some smoke and gas ( and a pepperoni stick) love you pops!!!

acg 3 years, 6 months ago

I love buying cards. I have a box of them split up into holidays/categories so I always have them on hand if someone has a birthday or anniversary or something that comes up. I like funny cards, though, not the sappy ones with the small novel inside of them. I like the Saturdays line of cards. Don't know who makes them but they are the ones I buy. They are inexpensive and soooo funny. Hopefully people appreciate getting them.

JAYHAWK999 3 years, 6 months ago

MarcoPogo 3 years, 6 months ago

This post is brought to you by Anheuser-Busch and Guy's Potato Chips. When you're cruising the local bulletin boards, don't forget the Guy's!

sissezz 3 years, 6 months ago

So much for the support of local jobs! Wow..... and Hallmark sells cards from .99 to higher priced $6.00......so save the crap about they are sooo high. Whats NOT high priced around here?......(plus they do alot for the community, guess that doesn't count either)

Laura Wilson 3 years, 6 months ago

It's not the cards. You can get Hallmark cards at the Dillons' stores, which I usually do. It's the ornaments and other holiday decor. There are a lot of people who collect them--just go to one of their holiday open houses and see the boxes diminish quickly--and are members of the ornament club that are now going to have to go to KC to buy their ornaments. More money leaving Lawrence.

And, yes, I do collect some of the lines, but not with any view that they're collectibles or I'll make money off them. I use them on my tree!

missmagoo 3 years, 6 months ago

***NEWS FLASH*

Hallmark pulled out of Rod's because he wasn't paying them. The stores sent a memo to top customers a couple month's ago that everything was 40% off because they needed to raise money to pay Hallmark so Hallmark would send Christmas ornaments which is their biggest money maker. I believe the e-mail was called "Save Rod's" or something like that.

I heard from a manager of one of the stores that he hasn't been paying Hallmark for quite some time and they had been threatening to pull his license to sell merchandise. Their stores haven't been receiving "new" merchandise for quite some time. However, his personal finances and massive KC compound he resides in in KC seem to be unaffected.. whew! :S

missmagoo 3 years, 6 months ago

I was able to track down that e-mail so here is the text from it:

Help Save Rod's Hallmark

Rod's Hallmark

A Store for You to Enjoy

Help Save your Local

Rod's Hallmark!

Times are Tough Sale -

Save Now...

May 4th-8th

40% OFF

store wide! double discounts apply to all

sale merchandise!

Check your local Rod's for store specific dates and hours of sale!

Limited exclusions -- cannot be combined with any other percent off coupons or on the purchase of gift certificates.

Our Locations

State Fair Center ~~ Sedalia, MO 660-826-5770

2321 N. Belt Hwy ~~ St. Joseph, MO 816-233-7172

1402 S. Main ~~ Maryville, MO 660-582-8351

2920 S. 4th Street ~~ Leavenworth, KS 913-682-4222

7716 State Ave. ~~ Kansas City, KS 913-788-3335

1300 W. Loop ~~ Manhattan, KS 785-537-8644

719 N. Charles ~~ Warrensburg, MO 660-429-2734

6601 N. Oak Tfwy ~~ Gladstone, MO 816-468-5670

2329 Iowa ~~ Lawrence, KS 785-841-2160

941 Cherokee ~~ Marshall, MO 660-886-4412

kujayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

I know 10 years ago the average hallmark store lost money, so this isn't a surprise.

notquite 3 years ago

"However, his personal finances and massive KC compound he resides in in KC seem to be unaffected.. whew!"

Not so much. Since June several stores have closed or are closing. Buy 12/31/11 there will only be 5 stores on the brink of liquidation. He isn't paying anyone as far as vendors go.

Kelly Anderson 3 years, 6 months ago

Hobb's downtown has some wicked funny cards!

scopi_guy 3 years, 6 months ago

I remember the 40% off sale.

I'm not a big fan of what they sell, but my mom is and I take her there every other month or so. It has seemed that they have been stocking more and more crap over the last few years instead of Hallmark items.

I've always thought that cards are the biggest ripoff ever. I tell everyone I'd rather have the $3 instead of a birthday card.

Actually, the Dollar Tree has some fairly decent cards and they're all 2 for a buck. It's hard to find a card that isn't insulting, rude, or overly flowery/mushy. If I have to buy a card for someone, it's hard to find just a straight-forward card that says "Congratulations!" or whatever.

I haven't been to Hobb's for a while but I used to love their cards. The ones with snapshots on the covers from the 50s-60s were always my favorites.

Beth Bird 3 years, 6 months ago

Sally Beauty Supply is right next to Maruices, Old Navy, Famous Footwear, and Kohls. I don't know the name of the shopping complex but they are located over there. Hope this helps.

statesman 3 years, 6 months ago

My mother is one of those elderly people Hallmark loves. She sends a card for every occasion imaginable. If Hallmark had a card celebrating regular bowel movements, she'd be sending them. Since I'm a guy, nobody expects me to send cards, and I don't. I humor my mother (mostly for my inheritance) and send her the crappy things, but greeting cards are nothing but overpriced cardboard that the card industry guilts us into buying. I find it much more economical to be anti-social.

kujayhawk 3 years, 6 months ago

The guy was probably sick of Hallmark trying to force him to sell their overpriced junk to his customers.

kancan5 3 years, 6 months ago

There's always a "rest of the story" . . . Rod's ran themselves out of the Hallmark business, Hallmark the Corporation didn't do it. Any shop that wants to stock their shelves has to order and PAY FOR their merchandise. Rods did not do that. All the tacky signs they posted on the doors about Hallmark not providing them with product is baloney; he didn't pay his invoices so they stopped delivering the goods. Hopefully we'll gain another Hallmark store in town, one with better management. It' not just about the cards, and its not just about geriatric customers, Some of you need to get out more.

pace 3 years, 6 months ago

Hallmark, once well designed and reasonably priced. Now overpriced and underdesigned. They lay too much cost on brand.

cooltrix 3 years, 6 months ago

I shop at Rod's for cards and always go there for my children's Valentines. I enjoy giving and receiving cards so I will continue to buy my Hallmark cards at other locations but I will still go to Rod's when I'm looking for something special that I just can't find any where else.

notquite 3 years ago

The sad truth of the matter is by 12/31/11 there will only be 5 stores remaining on the brink of liquidation. And their terminating fate is etched in stone. Collectors baying at his doors, inability to order product, disgruntled employees beginning to revolt. It's a sad state of affairs with no one but himself to blame.