Archive for Thursday, June 16, 2011

NWS: Thursday afternoon thunderstorms could be severe

The U.S. National Weather Service has placed most of Kansas, including Douglas County, under a slight risk for severe weather Thursday, June 16, 2011.

June 16, 2011

Kansas weather updates, via Twitter

Thunderstorms will develop across northeast Kansas Thursday morning, according to the National Weather Service, but at this time no watches or warnings are in effect.

Storms may re-develop Thursday afternoon and evening, and some of these storms could be severe. Large hail and damaging winds are the primary threats with these storms.

The NWS has placed most of Kansas, including Douglas County, under a slight risk for severe weather Thursday.

Check back with LJWorld.com for updates.

Comments

Multidisciplinary 2 years, 10 months ago

Something just went over Greensburg. KAKE radar (the kind that shows wind direction) was on for just a sec when I got there, but it was the perfect half and half that I've seen when there's a tornado. East of there is under a warning now, but KAKE switched to regular radar, and all there is is a hook. Why they aren't broadcasting live, is baffling.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 10 months ago

"I used to think Bob commanded weather."

You know how I do it? I click on the link and goto www.weather.gov and actually read the forecast. It also helps to know the definitions of "risk," "forecast," "chance," "may," "possibility," and "threat."

/fart noise

autie 2 years, 10 months ago

Sam will command the waters to do what Sam pleases. If Sam ordains it shall rain, rain will fall. If Sam ordains Whitney to make more peanut butter cup brownies and not share them, then she will have some and I won't. I used to think Bob commanded weather. Now I know that Sam commands the weather.

sr80 2 years, 10 months ago

how about a barometer and using your eyes.

The_Original_Bob 2 years, 10 months ago

I've been inside all day and just walked out. Light showers and some rain.

" You can only cry wolf so many times before people begin to believe there is no wolf. " Broken Record

You do know it is spring in Kansas? There is generally a chance of rain most days. You do know what the word, "chance," means, right?

Flap Doodle 2 years, 10 months ago

We're all gonna die! {most of us will not die today because of thunderstorms}

autie 2 years, 10 months ago

You only need watch for weather updates on the OTS from TOB..he knows weather like Katie knows tornadies. And accordingly the bottom falls out of the dew point temps and the chance for thunderstorms falls apart to maybe some light showers later today. Without a larger temp differential the adiabatic lapse rates will be slowed and the fish won't bite.

thepianoman 2 years, 10 months ago

I go with the approach "I'll believe it when I see it." Most of these weathercasters can't forecast themselves out of a wet paper sack. Gary Leezak of KSHB in Kansas City is another example. On his blog, he said ( 2 weeks ago) we'd be going into a wet, floodlike weather pattern. Not sure about KC, but around Lawrence it's been pretty dry the past 2 weeks.

Interestingly, the only forecaster I've come to trust is Mike Thompson on Fox 4. He has a common sense, conservative approach. He uses his head. He doesn't sensationalize it and get people worked up over nothing. He's pretty darn accurate!!

consumer1 2 years, 10 months ago

according to the LJW there have been a threat of thunderstorms for the last two months. the sun comes out and it is 90 degrees, why should this threat be any different? You can only cry wolf so many times before people begin to believe there is no wolf.