Archive for Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Lawrence’s Perkins restaurant to remain open, even though parent company has filed for bankruptcy

June 14, 2011

The Perkins restaurant in Lawrence will remain open after its parent company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on Monday, said an owner of the franchise.

Cheri Esmond owns the restaurant at 1711 W. 23rd St. with her husband, Dan. They also own Perkins restaurants in Topeka, Great Bend and McPherson.

The company announced that it would close 58 Perkins and Marie Callender’s restaurants across the country as part of a restructuring effort.

The company has 133 company-owned Perkins restaurants and 315 franchised restaurants.

Esmond said that the closed restaurants were all corporate-owned.

“It doesn’t really affect franchisees at all,” she said. “We’ve been here for 30 years.”

Comments

snook3200 3 years, 9 months ago

people do actually eat there, alot, apparently you dont get out much. you are missing out. it is a shame that family owned busnessines are direspected by people like you. people work hard to make businesses work so college kids have someplace to go and study at night and somewhere to work when they are here and this is all you have to say. what a pity. you are a shame to society.

therxbandit 3 years, 9 months ago

Yes. All the time. Come on, tell me, how you gonna resist a Mammoth Muffin?!

Take_a_letter_Maria 3 years, 9 months ago

Easy to resist when the last time I was in there, specifically to purchase something from the bake case, there were more than a couple of cockroaches crawling across the food.

I am not naive enough to think that other eating establishments, or grocery stores for that matter, don't have this problem as well. It just so happens that I've not seen them scrambling over the food I intend to consume, and when I do I don't bother to return.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 9 months ago

Yes, some people do eat there, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates a choice of 2 places to go to when wanting to go eat out at 4 AM.

Perkins and IHOP, those are the only 2 places here in town that are open 24/7, unless you count drive throughs.

fabian_zimbabwe 3 years, 9 months ago

Perkins restaurants seem to vary in quality and service. When we make the occasional drive to visit friends up north, we've found the Perkins in Brookings, SD (as well as a couple other locations) to have really decent food and exceptional service. As for the Lawrence location, it's been a few years, but the experience overall was miserable. Maybe that's changed since then...or it's just a northern thing.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 9 months ago

"they must be doing something right."

Yes, one of the things they do right is attract customers!

"Lawrence has other places to eat which are far superior than my last visits to Perkins"

There is exactly ONE other place to eat out at in Lawrence that is open in the wee hours of the AM!

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 9 months ago

Nope, IHOP.

I just called Steak & Shake, they close at 3 AM weekdays.

jackpot 3 years, 9 months ago

24/7 weekends. my bad checked after post.

Bob Forer 3 years, 9 months ago

Not a bad place to wander into in the early morning hours when you're hungry. Shakes are great, and burgers are tasty, but greasy.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 9 months ago

"Perkins restaurants seem to vary in quality and service."

You'll find that's true for any franchise.

I think they're a lot better than Sambo's ever was! And, I'm saying that even though I was a former Sambo's employee. Perkins pretty much took over Sambo's place in Lawrence years ago.

(Am I giving away my age?)

Steve Miller 3 years, 9 months ago

Know what you mean, the last time i was there it was like a dog pound .

Clark Coan 3 years, 9 months ago

Love their pancakes. Fluffy and don't sit heavy on the stomach.

Kelly Anderson 3 years, 9 months ago

Kids eat free from 3-7 everyday at the Lawrence Perkins. It is awesome. I take my two kids and I only pay for me!

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 9 months ago

You only pay for you? I hope you leave a tip, because the wait staff appreciates getting a bit over miminum wage!

50YearResident 3 years, 9 months ago

Pekins, The best breakfast in town, eggs, bacon and pancakes, my favorite.

Bob Forer 3 years, 9 months ago

You're right. The breakfasts aren't bad. But I have not have good luck ordering anything else off the menu, unless its a burger. Its hard to screw up a burger and fries.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 9 months ago

"It's hard to screw up a burger and fries"

Ya think? Here's how to do it:

Do them royally done, or do them royally raw!

(From me, a former fast food "chef"! I was the late night donut man at Winchell's on Mass St in the late 70s, so I know how to screw up donuts too.)

Thankfully, we don't see that very often if at all here in town.

Steve Jacob 3 years, 9 months ago

Plus I bet the weekends are booming with First Watch closed. By the way, saw through the window that place is still months before they open again.

evilpenguin 3 years, 9 months ago

The last time we went to Perkins a few months ago, the service was terrible. The food was average but I'd rather go to Miltons, First Watch, or Wheatfields. Perkins is still a chain, even if it's a franchise. It might be locally owned but it's food isn't great and it can use the Perkins name to attract....well....you know....the kind of people who go there and IHOP.

Support a real local business!

rockchalker52 3 years, 9 months ago

We need as many places to eat breakfast as we can get. I hope the local Perkins keeps on truckin'. I'd welcome a Denny's, too. Is the Bob's Big Boy chain still cookin'? We could bring them back. Say, what was the name of that comfy restaurant due north of the Travel Lodge? You know, it was tucked right in there by Buckys and Centennial Park, been lotsa things since. Anyway, that was a good place for giant breakfasts.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 9 months ago

It's to bad Village Inn closed.

I used to go there in the middle of the night, and it sure did have quite a late night crowd, a lot of old Lawrence townies from the 70s and 80s.

scopi_guy 3 years, 9 months ago

They still have Village Inns in NE and MO. Went to one a few years ago in Springfield, MO and there was a long honking hair in my food. When they took it off the bill, they had a special code for that (must happen a lot) in the cash register. They printed off a new bill and there it was printed "<37> Hair in Food - $5.87"

The worst part was the waitress knew exactly whose it was and where it came from.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 9 months ago

It's a good thing you got a cheap one then, I suppose.

John Moore 3 years, 9 months ago

why don't they bring either Golden Corral or Western Sizzler to the Lawrence area? I have went to bother places and think that Lawrence resident would like that instead of either Perkins or IHOP?

Rick Aldrich 3 years, 9 months ago

Perkins is about the only place to take your parents or grandparants or just to go have a nice family dinner without booze and loud students. unless you wanta do drive thru somewhere.

SpeedRacer 3 years, 9 months ago

I wish we had a Braum's here. My kid (and I) love their ice cream, and it's reasonably priced.

mdrndgtl 3 years, 9 months ago

Remember Hank's House of Hocks on 27th? Bring that back.

Cai 3 years, 9 months ago

speaking of malts.... and while we're voting, I'd like to see a winstead's.....

scopi_guy 3 years, 9 months ago

I love Braums! If there were one here, I'd probably eat there 3-4 times a week and gain about 40 lbs.