Archive for Wednesday, June 8, 2011

New home sought for stray cat who was trapped and shot twice

A cat, now named "Bullet" survived two bullet wounds and a surgery, and is now recovering at the Lawrence Humane Society and looking for a new home. She was found caught in a trap in North Lawrence.

June 8, 2011, 3:38 p.m. Updated June 8, 2011, 5:26 p.m.

Kayse Aschenbrenner, the Humane Society's director of animal welfare, holds a cat now named "Bullet" on Wednesday, June 8, 2011. The 2-year old survived two bullet wounds and was trapped near a home in North lawrence. Bullet has been recuperating at the shelter for a couple weeks and is looking for a new home.

The cat’s name is now Bullet.

And staff members at the Lawrence Humane Society hope he has a new home soon after the 2-year-old cat was rescued by animal control officers from a trap in northern Lawrence. He had been shot twice.

“He is such a survivor. He’s an amazing cat,” said Kayse Aschenbrenner, the Humane Society’s director of animal welfare. “You would never guess he went through such a traumatic ordeal.”

Jimmy R. Wilkins, 73, faces a case in Lawrence Municipal Court on charges of animal cruelty and discharging a firearm in the city limits, City Prosecutor Jerry Little said.

Sgt. Matt Sarna, a Lawrence police spokesman, said police assisted animal control officers May 29 in the 100 block of Michigan Street when officers found the injured cat inside a trap on the side of a residence. A witness had alleged he heard a neighbor shoot what sounded like a gun earlier in the day and observed the cat in the trap.

The cat, who is black with little spots of white and believed to be a stray, was taken to the Humane Society and later taken to a veterinary clinic.

Police eventually wrote Wilkins a citation, Little said, and he has a hearing scheduled for June 28.

Aschenbrenner said the veterinarian was able to remove one bullet from the cat, and staff members hoped Bullet could be adopted in the next month if someone shows interest.

Aschenbrenner thought Bullet had at one time served as someone’s pet but had been on the streets for awhile, although she said he has shown good social tendencies during his time in the shelter.

Comments

ilovelucy 3 years, 6 months ago

What does the kitty look like? What color?

BruceWayne 3 years, 6 months ago

Brent Fry 3 years, 6 months ago

I would guess google or the phone book. Sounds like this guy might have a loose screw or two.

Amy Heeter 3 years, 6 months ago

I would say show up at mini court on June 28th.

honestone 3 years, 6 months ago

Why do people who love their cats so much let them run loose? I never understood that. Dogs must be controlled by fence or a leash. Why not cats? If you really love your animals wouldn't you take care of them??

junebug 3 years, 6 months ago

why do people who love their cats so much keep them cooped up in small apartments and never allow them to see the light of day? Cats deserve to be able to have the freedom to enjoy the outdoors.

Dan Thalmann 3 years, 6 months ago

So they can follow their instinct to kill wildlife? Letting cats go unattended outdoors is one of the main causes of bird mortality. Keep your cats inside.

gatekeeper 3 years, 6 months ago

I encourage my neighbors cats to kill grackles. When hundreds of them land in the yard, I think a few can be cat bait.

Have you ever heard of nature? Guess what, cats and dogs kill other critters. I've seen little dogs kill moles. Should dogs be banned too?

tomatogrower 3 years, 6 months ago

I have a friend who has a cat who kills moles. Valuable little guy.

Liberty275 3 years, 6 months ago

I have a blue heeler that kills wasps and hornets. Talk about a valuable little guy!

TheStonesSuck 3 years, 6 months ago

Upvote for blue heelers. So cunning, so mischievous, so dedicated and intelligent.

honestone 3 years, 6 months ago

You are right junebug. A responsible owner would leash their animal and maintain positive control over the animal at all times. Otherwise they are a horrible pet owner to let the animal run free to be attacked or ran over by a car

kansaskate 3 years, 6 months ago

Have you ever even had a cat?? Those suckers want to be outside and they'll let you know it. Most cats I've ever known are essentially nocturnal, so unless you want to be woken up at all hours of the night, you let that cat out.

sourpuss 3 years, 6 months ago

My cats (11 and 10) have been indoor cats their entire lives. I've leash trained them and I take them for walks when the weather is nice, but they cannot go outside on their own. They don't get hurt, they don't get diseases, and they don't kill the wildlife. I keep my windows open as much as possible so they can experience fresh air, I have lots of potted plants, and I don't have to worry about their welfare. All -pets- should be treated as such and not allowed to run loose. Cats should be no exception. There are a lot of cultural myths about the nature of cats that are just blatantly incorrect.

NewbieGardener 3 years, 6 months ago

Incorrect. You've obviously never lived in the country and shouldn't judge others. Cats are animals and deserve to be outside if they are not in the vicinity of a street. If you want to keep your cats locked up, feel free to do so.

ThatGirl2 3 years, 6 months ago

Perhaps, but it's still irresponsible. Some cats want to go outside, some don't. My current cat would love to, and yes, he does vocalize that. However, I love him enough to make sure he's safe from cars, other animals, and apparently crazies with traps and guns. The average size home is more than enough space for a kitty to roam and be loved. Letting your cat run loose outside is lazy and negligent in my opinion, and definitely NOT in the best interests of the animal.

coloradoan 3 years, 6 months ago

My cats don't want to go outside anymore, it's a scary world out there. What cats want is to know that they are safe. Everything else is a bonus. My buds look at an open door to the outside world as a problem, and retreat to the comforts of a defined world of a couch, reliable food, and lotsa love.

RoeDapple 3 years, 6 months ago

bout time for a new poster to show up defendin' his frend an wuntin' to give "his" side of teh story. Prolly have a name like trapper73 er sumpin

Douglas Redding 3 years, 6 months ago

"...the 2-year-old cat was rescued by animal control officers from a trap in northern Lawrence and was shot twice."

That reads as if the cat was rescued from the trap, then shot (probably by animal control officers). Make it plain.

Dan Thalmann 3 years, 6 months ago

Good catch! Kind of humorous in a twisted way.

tomatogrower 3 years, 6 months ago

That's like the headline I read on CNN earlier today. It read "2 people killed by flying grizzly bear". Scared me, a sad story, but I thought that bears were starting to fly. This bear only flew when another car hit it. Clarity is important, but it did make me look.

RoeDapple 3 years, 6 months ago

I had a cat once (nick)named "Colt45". He stayed outside mostly, and when we enjoyed an occasional cold one one the deck he would knock over an empty then sip on the spillage. He also liked to dig up moles. Wish I had him back

cschuster 3 years, 6 months ago

someone shot my cat with a pellet gun last October in the Brook Creek neighborhood. I would love to find out who did it, but have no clues and do not want to point any fingers. If anyone knows of suspicious behavior over off of 13th and Elmwood, I would LOVE to know. This has been a real (expensive and depressing) ordeal, getting my cat healthy again. Luckily, he is a tough little guy.

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 6 months ago

We should have a picture up here shortly. We just got it taken.

Bob_Loblaw 3 years, 6 months ago

childhoodsurvivor 3 years, 6 months ago

just so you all know, letting your cat outside/off of your property is illegal in lawrence. You must have it on a leash if you want it off of your property.

trymeone35 3 years, 6 months ago

true but they don't care. and if people spayed and neutered there pets that would help.. i am sorry but if the cat wasn't out running free it would not have happened.... and if the human society picked up cats like they do dogs.. well then they would have been the ones to trap the cat. not Jimmy.. and the cat was on his property...........i am not saying shooting the cat was a good thing. but people you want these pets keep them in your home. or bad things will happen....glad the cat is ok...

gatekeeper 3 years, 6 months ago

this cat was obviously dumped at some time. There is no excuse for what this guy did, whether it was on his property or not.

brneyedgirl1616 3 years, 6 months ago

Childhood - Where could one find info on that law? Have a few neighbor cats that roam all over the block .. was four until recently when one got hit by a car.

gatekeeper 3 years, 6 months ago

And what harm are those cats causing? Do you just not like cats?

You realize if you call the city, they'll take them in as strays and will kill them. Our shelter doesn't keep them alive like they used to. So, you have the choice to have these cats killed or let them roam. Can you sleep at night knowing you killed them?

Grundoon Luna 3 years, 6 months ago

You go, Autie!! Great name! Good for both of you!

fkalich 3 years, 6 months ago

Leash? You obviously have not owned a cat. I remember when nobody complained about cats outside, when people were less crazy than they are now, and more tolerant of each other and the ways of others. Lawrence was mostly a live and let live community, but it keeps changing to Overland Park West increasingly each year.

kernal 3 years, 6 months ago

Everytime someone brings up the kitty leash law, I remember the time I tried to put my old stray "rescued" tomcat on a leash. Hahahahahahahaahha. Furgidaboudit! Unless you begin training a cat for a leash while still a kitten, it's unlikely you will ever get it on him, or her, again..

If you can afford it, there are cat fences. A company in Johnson County knows how to set them up. I've not heard if there are any local fence companies who know how to do it correctly.

gatekeeper 3 years, 6 months ago

I couldn't afford the expensive cat fences, so I made my own. Chicken wire on the inside of the fence along the top (can't even see if from outside the fence). Works like a charm. Now I can let me cats out and not worry about them being hit by cars or eaten by the coyotes I see roaming the neighborhood.

woodscolt 3 years, 6 months ago

Sub humans that are cruel to animals should be put in a compromising situation where the rules are changed. They should be put in a room with an 800lb cat.

TheStonesSuck 3 years, 6 months ago

pace 3 years, 6 months ago

I built a cat run once for a lady who had lost 4 to coyotes. It worked wonderful, cost about as much as I could stand to charge. Thank running aviary.

blindrabbit 3 years, 6 months ago

We live outside the city limits, west of town. In the past, it was common to see stray and feral cats roaming around, but not recently. I assumed that someone in the neighborhood was eliminating them, but according to the game warden, bobcats and coyotes are the guilty ones. Apparently, house cats are "high" on the dinner menu for bobcats.

kernal 3 years, 6 months ago

Or it could be hawks. They're as likely to carry off a small to medium size cat as a rabbit.

somedude20 3 years, 6 months ago

I worked with a person who claimed to use cardboard boxes to catch cats and then eat them. He said it was "good eatin" needless to say that I never ate anything he brought in. He did like what he called a grilled Hawaiian Cat Burger. Something about a grilled cat with a pineapple in its mouth and had some type of sauce on it, yuck I say. He was fired for one too many eating pussycat jokes. Creepy fellow

Kontum1972 3 years, 6 months ago

cat is actually too stringy and tuff too eat..quite the delicacy in SEAsia..about not as good as monkey..but ya gotta get em young...

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 years, 6 months ago

What a lucky cat!! I have 4, they live inside and have the run of the house and basement. One has caught mice and one snake. Animal professionals recommend that cats who live inside live longer and healther lives. Outside, they are subject to attack by other animals, fleas and ticks, toxic substances, disease,and being hit by cars. I used to work around one jerk who came to work bragging that he had "smashed" his neighbor's pet cat and thought this was terribly funny. Sadly, there were those laughing with him. How many other animals are exposed to vicious, frustrated, unfeeling humans who think that abusing animals is some sort of sport?

Hooray for the Humane Society, I got one of my kitties there, and little Gretle has been my little sweetheart for several years now. I wish more people would take responsibility for their pets and care properly for them and there would be fewer cats roaming around to be killed or abused by monsters like this guy in this case.

RoeDapple 3 years, 6 months ago

Tommy The Basement Cat has decided to erase going to SE Asia from his bucket list . .

gatekeeper 3 years, 6 months ago

Can the LJW get a follow up on if they will keep this cat until it finds a home? Things have changed at the shelter and they don't keep the animals around waiting for loving homes like they used to. The wording in the article is suspicious (staff members hoped Bullet could be adopted in the next month if someone shows interest.). I want to know if no interest is shown in the near future if they'll be putting this cat down.

thanks

blindrabbit 3 years, 6 months ago

Another problem for "outside cats", although not this time of year. Neighbor cat loved to climb up on engine block in winter to stay warm. One morning the neighbor reported that his long tailed male tabby had become a manx (tailess) as well as a Scottish Fold (ears and part of scalp missing) within a matter of seconds. Although this cat was seriously injured, he revived and became a house cat. Don't remember if he was neutered in the process!

gracecountry62 3 years, 6 months ago

Wow what amazing news ,especially headlines for a paper as large as this in Lawrence Kansas reminds me of home where the population is 3,000 they always had to find something to write about. But here in Lawrence there are plenty to write about. I enjoy having cats around but come on Mr. Editor in chief you should be able to do better than this . Put items as this in a different location not as top news. Maybe something on the terms of the slight earth quake that was very interesting. alright you Bozo's proof read my work and grade me ,you know you want to. Chop Chop.

bornon7 3 years, 6 months ago

gracecounty62, there are more pet lovers in Lawrence than those who would be affected by an earth quake in Missouri. Trapping a cat is one thing, but to shoot it twice? Real classy and civilized.

kernal 3 years, 6 months ago

I think this article is newsworthy, if for no other reason than to let people know there are consequences for animal cruelty and we do not condone such acts in Lawrence.

Free Bullet!

middleagedinthemidwest 3 years, 6 months ago

Before the lynch mob gets started, here are a few facts. Mr. Wilkins is 73 years old, with poor eyesight. He had the traps due to opossum and racoons invading his trash. Isn't it just possible that he thought he was shooting a wild animal and not a cat that someone should have at least had a tag on if it was a pet. Seems to me that would be the responsible thing to do!

RoeDapple 3 years, 6 months ago

hmmm . . . "sources" tell me he claims to have "never shot nothin" his whole life. Now middleagedinthemidwest states he (Wilkens) has "poor" eyesight and "might" have thought he was shooting a wild animal . . You wouldn't be related to Mr Wilkens would you? Say, a cousin or an inlaw? We been waiting for you all day! Is the "responsible thing to do" firing a weapon at something you aren't sure of? Inside the city limits? Does the city not have animal control officers anymore?

coloradoan 3 years, 6 months ago

Exactly. Even in the best-case scenario, there is still the risk of a ricochet of the shot(s) he fired fromt he gun. What if a neighbior, a kid had been hit by that? BTW, I am an NRA member, but I prefer responsible use of weapons, and certainly not on trapped pets.

RoeDapple 3 years, 6 months ago

Lifetime member NRA here also. Doubt if Mr Wilkins can even spell it.

LadyJ 3 years, 6 months ago

I once tried to move a cat off a table a couple of times (not much light) only to find out it was a possum, eeewww

cschuster 3 years, 6 months ago

Okay, if it's illegal to have your cat running free then might I add it's also illegal to endanger a pet and also to shoot in the city limits. Give me a break!! My cat is the sweetest thing on earth, why anyone would shoot him is beyond my understanding. It's happened to other cats around too. People that harm animals for fun or simply because they don't like them being around should suffer consequences, PERIOD. I give all of my animals the attention, love and care they deserve, so I am not going to feel guilty for letting my cat outside. I live on a quiet street where all of my neighbors let their cats out. If an owl took my cat away or he got hit my a car, those would be my consequences for letting him live a free lifestyle. But shooting a cat? Seriously?

trymeone35 3 years, 6 months ago

if you let you cat out and it gets hurt it's on you. and i can see why people dont want your unwanted cats in there yard.. i had the neighbors stupid cat scratch the paint on my hood and roof of my bran new car.. so i would have shot the stupid cat to. make be not with a big gun . but for sure a Beebe gun.. if you dont want your pets hurt. follow the law too then and keep your pets in your home......and on leashes....