Archive for Wednesday, June 8, 2011

New home sought for stray cat who was trapped and shot twice

A cat, now named "Bullet" survived two bullet wounds and a surgery, and is now recovering at the Lawrence Humane Society and looking for a new home. She was found caught in a trap in North Lawrence.

June 8, 2011, 3:38 p.m. Updated June 8, 2011, 5:26 p.m.

Kayse Aschenbrenner, the Humane Society's director of animal welfare, holds a cat now named "Bullet" on Wednesday, June 8, 2011. The 2-year old survived two bullet wounds and was trapped near a home in North lawrence. Bullet has been recuperating at the shelter for a couple weeks and is looking for a new home.

The cat’s name is now Bullet.

And staff members at the Lawrence Humane Society hope he has a new home soon after the 2-year-old cat was rescued by animal control officers from a trap in northern Lawrence. He had been shot twice.

“He is such a survivor. He’s an amazing cat,” said Kayse Aschenbrenner, the Humane Society’s director of animal welfare. “You would never guess he went through such a traumatic ordeal.”

Jimmy R. Wilkins, 73, faces a case in Lawrence Municipal Court on charges of animal cruelty and discharging a firearm in the city limits, City Prosecutor Jerry Little said.

Sgt. Matt Sarna, a Lawrence police spokesman, said police assisted animal control officers May 29 in the 100 block of Michigan Street when officers found the injured cat inside a trap on the side of a residence. A witness had alleged he heard a neighbor shoot what sounded like a gun earlier in the day and observed the cat in the trap.

The cat, who is black with little spots of white and believed to be a stray, was taken to the Humane Society and later taken to a veterinary clinic.

Police eventually wrote Wilkins a citation, Little said, and he has a hearing scheduled for June 28.

Aschenbrenner said the veterinarian was able to remove one bullet from the cat, and staff members hoped Bullet could be adopted in the next month if someone shows interest.

Aschenbrenner thought Bullet had at one time served as someone’s pet but had been on the streets for awhile, although she said he has shown good social tendencies during his time in the shelter.

Comments

trymeone35 2 years, 9 months ago

if you let you cat out and it gets hurt it's on you. and i can see why people dont want your unwanted cats in there yard.. i had the neighbors stupid cat scratch the paint on my hood and roof of my bran new car.. so i would have shot the stupid cat to. make be not with a big gun . but for sure a Beebe gun.. if you dont want your pets hurt. follow the law too then and keep your pets in your home......and on leashes....

cschuster 2 years, 10 months ago

Okay, if it's illegal to have your cat running free then might I add it's also illegal to endanger a pet and also to shoot in the city limits. Give me a break!! My cat is the sweetest thing on earth, why anyone would shoot him is beyond my understanding. It's happened to other cats around too. People that harm animals for fun or simply because they don't like them being around should suffer consequences, PERIOD. I give all of my animals the attention, love and care they deserve, so I am not going to feel guilty for letting my cat outside. I live on a quiet street where all of my neighbors let their cats out. If an owl took my cat away or he got hit my a car, those would be my consequences for letting him live a free lifestyle. But shooting a cat? Seriously?

Multidisciplinary 2 years, 10 months ago

I noes with my poor eyesight, when ever I think I've got ol' Pepe Possum or Rocky Racun in my trap, the ferst thing I do is jab my hands in to check that its thick furry neck all around expectin ter find a coller and personal info.Yes Sir, thet's zackly what I do. Thet's why weez got ten fingers, in case we pull back a stub now an agin.

RoeDapple 2 years, 10 months ago

hmmm . . . "sources" tell me he claims to have "never shot nothin" his whole life. Now middleagedinthemidwest states he (Wilkens) has "poor" eyesight and "might" have thought he was shooting a wild animal . . You wouldn't be related to Mr Wilkens would you? Say, a cousin or an inlaw? We been waiting for you all day! Is the "responsible thing to do" firing a weapon at something you aren't sure of? Inside the city limits? Does the city not have animal control officers anymore?

middleagedinthemidwest 2 years, 10 months ago

Before the lynch mob gets started, here are a few facts. Mr. Wilkins is 73 years old, with poor eyesight. He had the traps due to opossum and racoons invading his trash. Isn't it just possible that he thought he was shooting a wild animal and not a cat that someone should have at least had a tag on if it was a pet. Seems to me that would be the responsible thing to do!

kernal 2 years, 10 months ago

I think this article is newsworthy, if for no other reason than to let people know there are consequences for animal cruelty and we do not condone such acts in Lawrence.

Free Bullet!

bornon7 2 years, 10 months ago

gracecounty62, there are more pet lovers in Lawrence than those who would be affected by an earth quake in Missouri. Trapping a cat is one thing, but to shoot it twice? Real classy and civilized.

gracecountry62 2 years, 10 months ago

Wow what amazing news ,especially headlines for a paper as large as this in Lawrence Kansas reminds me of home where the population is 3,000 they always had to find something to write about. But here in Lawrence there are plenty to write about. I enjoy having cats around but come on Mr. Editor in chief you should be able to do better than this . Put items as this in a different location not as top news. Maybe something on the terms of the slight earth quake that was very interesting. alright you Bozo's proof read my work and grade me ,you know you want to. Chop Chop.

blindrabbit 2 years, 10 months ago

Another problem for "outside cats", although not this time of year. Neighbor cat loved to climb up on engine block in winter to stay warm. One morning the neighbor reported that his long tailed male tabby had become a manx (tailess) as well as a Scottish Fold (ears and part of scalp missing) within a matter of seconds. Although this cat was seriously injured, he revived and became a house cat. Don't remember if he was neutered in the process!

toe 2 years, 10 months ago

Bullet Proof is a good name too.

gatekeeper 2 years, 10 months ago

Can the LJW get a follow up on if they will keep this cat until it finds a home? Things have changed at the shelter and they don't keep the animals around waiting for loving homes like they used to. The wording in the article is suspicious (staff members hoped Bullet could be adopted in the next month if someone shows interest.). I want to know if no interest is shown in the near future if they'll be putting this cat down.

thanks

RoeDapple 2 years, 10 months ago

Tommy The Basement Cat has decided to erase going to SE Asia from his bucket list . .

CWGOKU 2 years, 10 months ago

So, how many lives has that cat used up? I have a dog named Bullet.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 2 years, 10 months ago

What a lucky cat!! I have 4, they live inside and have the run of the house and basement. One has caught mice and one snake. Animal professionals recommend that cats who live inside live longer and healther lives. Outside, they are subject to attack by other animals, fleas and ticks, toxic substances, disease,and being hit by cars. I used to work around one jerk who came to work bragging that he had "smashed" his neighbor's pet cat and thought this was terribly funny. Sadly, there were those laughing with him. How many other animals are exposed to vicious, frustrated, unfeeling humans who think that abusing animals is some sort of sport?

Hooray for the Humane Society, I got one of my kitties there, and little Gretle has been my little sweetheart for several years now. I wish more people would take responsibility for their pets and care properly for them and there would be fewer cats roaming around to be killed or abused by monsters like this guy in this case.

Kontum1972 2 years, 10 months ago

cat is actually too stringy and tuff too eat..quite the delicacy in SEAsia..about not as good as monkey..but ya gotta get em young...

somedude20 2 years, 10 months ago

I worked with a person who claimed to use cardboard boxes to catch cats and then eat them. He said it was "good eatin" needless to say that I never ate anything he brought in. He did like what he called a grilled Hawaiian Cat Burger. Something about a grilled cat with a pineapple in its mouth and had some type of sauce on it, yuck I say. He was fired for one too many eating pussycat jokes. Creepy fellow

justanotherface 2 years, 10 months ago

Jimmy needs to be locked in a cage and shot twice.

blindrabbit 2 years, 10 months ago

We live outside the city limits, west of town. In the past, it was common to see stray and feral cats roaming around, but not recently. I assumed that someone in the neighborhood was eliminating them, but according to the game warden, bobcats and coyotes are the guilty ones. Apparently, house cats are "high" on the dinner menu for bobcats.

Multidisciplinary 2 years, 10 months ago

" If anyone knows of suspicious behavior over off of 13th and Elmwood, I would LOVE to know."

(falling off my chair laughing) How many decades back do you want on that PDF? I believe, in the dictionary under "mayhem", there is a satellite map of that very area.

pace 2 years, 10 months ago

I built a cat run once for a lady who had lost 4 to coyotes. It worked wonderful, cost about as much as I could stand to charge. Thank running aviary.

woodscolt 2 years, 10 months ago

Sub humans that are cruel to animals should be put in a compromising situation where the rules are changed. They should be put in a room with an 800lb cat.

kernal 2 years, 10 months ago

Everytime someone brings up the kitty leash law, I remember the time I tried to put my old stray "rescued" tomcat on a leash. Hahahahahahahaahha. Furgidaboudit! Unless you begin training a cat for a leash while still a kitten, it's unlikely you will ever get it on him, or her, again..

If you can afford it, there are cat fences. A company in Johnson County knows how to set them up. I've not heard if there are any local fence companies who know how to do it correctly.

fkalich 2 years, 10 months ago

Leash? You obviously have not owned a cat. I remember when nobody complained about cats outside, when people were less crazy than they are now, and more tolerant of each other and the ways of others. Lawrence was mostly a live and let live community, but it keeps changing to Overland Park West increasingly each year.

autie 2 years, 10 months ago

Maybe I could get that kitty...and name him Lucky.

brneyedgirl1616 2 years, 10 months ago

Childhood - Where could one find info on that law? Have a few neighbor cats that roam all over the block .. was four until recently when one got hit by a car.

childhoodsurvivor 2 years, 10 months ago

just so you all know, letting your cat outside/off of your property is illegal in lawrence. You must have it on a leash if you want it off of your property.

Bob_Loblaw 2 years, 10 months ago

Jonathan Kealing 2 years, 10 months ago

We should have a picture up here shortly. We just got it taken.

cschuster 2 years, 10 months ago

someone shot my cat with a pellet gun last October in the Brook Creek neighborhood. I would love to find out who did it, but have no clues and do not want to point any fingers. If anyone knows of suspicious behavior over off of 13th and Elmwood, I would LOVE to know. This has been a real (expensive and depressing) ordeal, getting my cat healthy again. Luckily, he is a tough little guy.

RoeDapple 2 years, 10 months ago

I had a cat once (nick)named "Colt45". He stayed outside mostly, and when we enjoyed an occasional cold one one the deck he would knock over an empty then sip on the spillage. He also liked to dig up moles. Wish I had him back

Douglas Redding 2 years, 10 months ago

"...the 2-year-old cat was rescued by animal control officers from a trap in northern Lawrence and was shot twice."

That reads as if the cat was rescued from the trap, then shot (probably by animal control officers). Make it plain.

RoeDapple 2 years, 10 months ago

bout time for a new poster to show up defendin' his frend an wuntin' to give "his" side of teh story. Prolly have a name like trapper73 er sumpin

honestone 2 years, 10 months ago

Why do people who love their cats so much let them run loose? I never understood that. Dogs must be controlled by fence or a leash. Why not cats? If you really love your animals wouldn't you take care of them??

consumer1 2 years, 10 months ago

There is a very beautiful Black Cat, Large and has beautiful green Eyes with long hair who is currently running somewhat wild on 6th street in the vacant lot by Family Medicine. I walk past there every morning and see it. I saw it on the opposite side of 6th yesterday. I am worried that it may get killed on 6th street. So if anyone would like to save it. You can almost always find it in one of those fields. Seems very freindly but skittish. May take some coaxing. beutiful cat.

UNIKU 2 years, 10 months ago

Cats and dogs are the most intelligent beings on Michigan Street...it certainly ain't the residents...

ilovelucy 2 years, 10 months ago

What does the kitty look like? What color?