Archive for Monday, June 6, 2011

Lawrence police seek information on multiple gunshots fired outside The Cave

June 6, 2011

Lawrence police detectives are still investigating an incident after multiple gunshots were fired outside The Cave nightclub early Sunday morning.

Sgt. Matt Sarna, a Lawrence police spokesman, said Monday morning investigators at the scene found several shell casings in the area near 12th and Indiana streets. Police said Sunday no one was injured after the initial report that shots were fired around 2:15 a.m. outside the nightclub.

“Detectives are actively working the case and trying to determine the events and circumstances surrounding the incident,” Sarna said.

The Cave, 1200 Oread Ave., is in the basement of The Oread.

Police ask anyone with information in the case to call Douglas County Crime Stoppers at 785-843-TIPS (8477).

Comments

somebodynew 2 years, 10 months ago

First off Unknown - from what you post it sounds like you work there to have that kind of knowledge. Here is a tidbit for you, it does involve people who were patrons there (where else would they have been in that area anyway) and yes, yours is the standard line ALL bars use.

It happened outside so it is not our fault. BS, the original actions happened inside and the "security" threw them out. Then the idiot comes back and thank goodness he was a terrible shot.

Rando - maybe if they had spent the money on camera (my guess is they do have them) instead of the "early warning system" for when cops walk in the door, it might be a safer area.

unknown145 2 years, 10 months ago

The shots were not fired inside The Cave, they were fired outside off of the property. The Cave just happened to be the closest bar to the incident. There is no proof that the shooter was ever even a guest at the nightclub that evening. People assume The Cave brings in bad business and that the club is responsible for things like this, but the establishment or the people that frequent the place may not have even been involved. I understand it was a dangerous situation and I'm glad no one was injured, but making the assumption that the people the cave brings in are dangerous and reckless is inaccurate.

kusadgirl 2 years, 10 months ago

That monstrosity should of never been built. I live right next to it and I can't wait till my lease is up so I can move.

boxers_or_briefs 2 years, 10 months ago

The Cave just needs to be shut down. It's been nothing but trouble since it has opened.

Randall Barnes 2 years, 10 months ago

the cave needs to install cameras outside.

Steve Jacob 2 years, 10 months ago

Seems to me the Cave is limiting the police numbers downtown during closing time. What happens if we have major problems with hundreds of drunken people at two places closing time? And if that is the reason why we need more police, the Cave should pay for it.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 10 months ago

What sort of shell casings did they find? I'm always on the lookout for reloadable 5.5 Velo-Dog brass.

introspector 2 years, 10 months ago

I dont think culture has degraded honestly. I think back in the good ol days here in Kansas mofos got shot in the face over a poker game. Dodge friggin city! We are just slow blooming into what we should be- 40-or-50-years-late slow. --- Id like to give a shout out to Dr. Dre., Snoop Doggy Dogg, Lil Wayne, The Game, Waka Flocka Flame, Dick Cheney, and all the other psychos that think its cool to run around shootin' guns at and around people.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 10 months ago

At least there were people visiting Lawrence who would shoot into a crowd.

Scott Morgan 2 years, 10 months ago

After giving this some reflection just how far has our culture has degraded? I was daydreaming a bit and thought of how I would feel if my spouse for instance was killed in something like this act.

Then thought,

The poor gal who was killed outside of Starlight, another a few years ago at a Royals game. The fast food beating which made such news a month or so back. Not a racial deal either.

What would the animal say, "sorry bud was really angry." Somebody disrespected me? Or worse, I'm more important than a human life she shouldn't have been there.

Kick back and think. There are people in Lawrence who've shot a gun into a crowd.