Archive for Monday, June 6, 2011

Lawrence police seek information on multiple gunshots fired outside The Cave

June 6, 2011

Lawrence police detectives are still investigating an incident after multiple gunshots were fired outside The Cave nightclub early Sunday morning.

Sgt. Matt Sarna, a Lawrence police spokesman, said Monday morning investigators at the scene found several shell casings in the area near 12th and Indiana streets. Police said Sunday no one was injured after the initial report that shots were fired around 2:15 a.m. outside the nightclub.

“Detectives are actively working the case and trying to determine the events and circumstances surrounding the incident,” Sarna said.

The Cave, 1200 Oread Ave., is in the basement of The Oread.

Police ask anyone with information in the case to call Douglas County Crime Stoppers at 785-843-TIPS (8477).

Comments

Scott Morgan 3 years, 12 months ago

After giving this some reflection just how far has our culture has degraded? I was daydreaming a bit and thought of how I would feel if my spouse for instance was killed in something like this act.

Then thought,

The poor gal who was killed outside of Starlight, another a few years ago at a Royals game. The fast food beating which made such news a month or so back. Not a racial deal either.

What would the animal say, "sorry bud was really angry." Somebody disrespected me? Or worse, I'm more important than a human life she shouldn't have been there.

Kick back and think. There are people in Lawrence who've shot a gun into a crowd.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 12 months ago

At least there were people visiting Lawrence who would shoot into a crowd.

introspector 3 years, 12 months ago

I dont think culture has degraded honestly. I think back in the good ol days here in Kansas mofos got shot in the face over a poker game. Dodge friggin city! We are just slow blooming into what we should be- 40-or-50-years-late slow. --- Id like to give a shout out to Dr. Dre., Snoop Doggy Dogg, Lil Wayne, The Game, Waka Flocka Flame, Dick Cheney, and all the other psychos that think its cool to run around shootin' guns at and around people.

oldvet 3 years, 12 months ago

What's with your issue about shooting guns "around" people? This weekend I was shooting guns "around" nearly 100 other people, every one of them armed or close to their weapons... a great skeet tournament...

introspector 3 years, 12 months ago

I said "around people" because I added Dick Cheney to my shout outs list and he kinda shot somebody in the face tryin to fire guns "around" people or whatever... playin rambo.... grown man... vice president at the time.... shot... a... man... in... the face.... o.o

Scott Morgan 3 years, 12 months ago

No matter how weak the excuse was, or how strong the rot gut whiskey was, not sure too many cowboys shot into crowds. What kind of man can live with them-self knowing they shot up an innocent persons home for instance.

BTW. Tom Horn legendary cowboy, tracker, hunter, was accused of accidentally shooting an innocent youth was hung. To my memory believe he thought the sentence was just.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 12 months ago

What sort of shell casings did they find? I'm always on the lookout for reloadable 5.5 Velo-Dog brass.

DillonBarnes 3 years, 12 months ago

lol Probably not.

Are they still saying it's a rifle? I wonder what rifle it would be? Maybe just a little .22, easily accessible , leaves small holes (assuming they still haven't' found any bullet holes), but would still scare the bejesus out of a crowd of people in the city.

Then again, with the crowd that goes there, I wouldn't be surprised if they were some 7.62 casings around there.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 12 months ago

Not a pistola person but know reloading and ballistics. About 10 years ago the thug and thugettes began tossing their "9s" and began packing serious. The Colt style .45 ACP and 44 mag for instance.

I've noticed the human damages have gone way up since. On the other hand I understand some like cutting down old Remington 66 model .22s and the like.

DillonBarnes 3 years, 12 months ago

So that's why their pants are sagging lower and lower, those things are heavy!

Get back to some poly-framed pistols and we'll stop seeing all their underwear.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 12 months ago

only if they learn to shoot correctly which is holding the pistol sideways with the shooters head cocked.

My gramps used to shoot his this way after his stroke.

Steve Jacob 3 years, 12 months ago

Seems to me the Cave is limiting the police numbers downtown during closing time. What happens if we have major problems with hundreds of drunken people at two places closing time? And if that is the reason why we need more police, the Cave should pay for it.

Randall Barnes 3 years, 12 months ago

the cave needs to install cameras outside.

d_prowess 3 years, 12 months ago

maybe one of the best suggestions I have heard in a while!

boxers_or_briefs 3 years, 12 months ago

The Cave just needs to be shut down. It's been nothing but trouble since it has opened.

pizzapete 3 years, 12 months ago

Agreed, I'm glad I no longer live in that area for the same reason. And they're going to be putting a huge apartment complex in down the street.

unknown145 3 years, 12 months ago

The shots were not fired inside The Cave, they were fired outside off of the property. The Cave just happened to be the closest bar to the incident. There is no proof that the shooter was ever even a guest at the nightclub that evening. People assume The Cave brings in bad business and that the club is responsible for things like this, but the establishment or the people that frequent the place may not have even been involved. I understand it was a dangerous situation and I'm glad no one was injured, but making the assumption that the people the cave brings in are dangerous and reckless is inaccurate.

d_prowess 3 years, 12 months ago

How many incidents involving the patrons of the Cave need to happen before folks can begin to make assumptions about this place? You are right in saying we have no proof of a connection between the shooting and the Cave, but we have already had a couple incidents that were related to the patrons of this club and so the bad reputation is going to happen with a couple more.

jafs 3 years, 12 months ago

This will mirror the Last Call situation - my prediction.

The first line of defense is the one you use - next when the violence involves patrons, the bar will disavow any responsibility for what happens after the moment the patrons leave the bar - then when the city requires them to do something about it, they'll fight it in court as long as possible.

Finally, maybe the city will yank their liquor license.

somebodynew 3 years, 12 months ago

First off Unknown - from what you post it sounds like you work there to have that kind of knowledge. Here is a tidbit for you, it does involve people who were patrons there (where else would they have been in that area anyway) and yes, yours is the standard line ALL bars use.

It happened outside so it is not our fault. BS, the original actions happened inside and the "security" threw them out. Then the idiot comes back and thank goodness he was a terrible shot.

Rando - maybe if they had spent the money on camera (my guess is they do have them) instead of the "early warning system" for when cops walk in the door, it might be a safer area.