Archive for Friday, June 3, 2011

Former President George W. Bush to speak in Wichita Nov. 3

June 3, 2011

The Wichita Metro Chamber of Commerce announced Friday that former President George W. Bush will speak at the annual meeting Nov. 3.

Bush’s speech will focus on stories from his new book, “Decision Points,” including his experience on Sept. 11, 2001, his position on weapons of mass destruction and his decision to become sober.

The annual meeting is at Century II in Wichita. Dinner is from 6 p.m. to 7:15 p.m. Bush will speak from 7:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Tickets range from $45 to $125 and can be ordered online at www.wichitachamber.org.

Because of increased security for the event, the meeting will have unique ticketing terms and conditions. For a complete list, visit www.wichitachamber.org.

Comments

Dan Thalmann 3 years, 5 months ago

We already ordered our tickets. Excited to go!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 5 months ago

Are you hoping that some of his arrogant ignorance will rub off on you?

persevering_gal 3 years, 5 months ago

I'm not a big Bush fan, but in my opinion, I thought his bibliography was well-written. As a person, I respect him after reading his book, but do not agree completely with many of his political choices.

overthemoon 3 years, 5 months ago

He wrote a bibliography? A published list of books that he's read? Hadn't heard about that one.

cato_the_elder 3 years, 5 months ago

Bozo, just out of curiosity, where did all of your arrogant ignorance come from?

cato_the_elder 3 years, 5 months ago

Bring all of your size 12 combat boots you want, granny.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 5 months ago

BTW....were we not sold on the idea President Obama was some kind of super high IQ smarter than the average bear student?

I know I heard this over and over. Well, now we find he was average at best.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 5 months ago

W. isn't overly bright, but he's certainly no idiot.

He's a dedicated class warrior with no better moral compass than the average street thug. He did exactly what he was brought up to do.

CreatureComforts 3 years, 5 months ago

Bozo preaching about ignorance? Please, pardon my laughter.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 5 months ago

What's your point? Are you defending Bush? If so, you're failing pitifully.

But at least that's consistent with your posting MO.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 5 months ago

"Because of increased security for the event, the meeting will have unique ticketing terms and conditions."

Translation-- if you don't check out as a Bush supporter, you don't get in.

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 5 months ago

Scott Morgan 3 years, 5 months ago

Actually as part of President Clinton's contract he helps pat down selected audience members before and after his speeches.

goodcountrypeople 3 years, 5 months ago

Like attracts like! The speaking locale suits his character. Wichita teems with corruption worse than what Lawrence seems full of and so does our former president. He has even been advised not to leave the country because he might be arrested. Plenty of Kansans obviously have no problem with torture or garden-variety terrorism of their fellow citizens though.

pizzapete 3 years, 5 months ago

Well he does have a lot of explaining to do.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 5 months ago

Yes he can explain how to get out of the horrible economic situation Obama and Company have us in.

beatrice 3 years, 5 months ago

I would not pay to hear a former president speak, be it Clinton, Carter or both Bushes. Paying to hear a speech should be reserved for political fundraisers, not just speaking to the people.

That said, I hope people get their money's worth. If it were free I would absolutely want to hear a former President of the United States of America speak! I disagreed with much of Bush's policies, criticized him while he was in office and feel his administration did far more harm than good for the country and the world, but I would still show him the respect a former president deserves and would want to hear him speak -- I'm just not paying for it.

Kyle Neuer 3 years, 5 months ago

Collecting a payoff check from the Kochs?

Scott Morgan 3 years, 5 months ago

Unlike Hill and Bill, Obama and the Mrs. the Bush family does not need to sing for supper.

If memory serves the Clinton's came to office quite middle class financially. They must be wizards with money, for wow are they wealthy now. Obama and Micki seem to have done well themselves since taking office. Micki Obama and Hillary couldn't argue a legal case if their lives depended on it, but yet they seem to have made great money. ummm?

On the other hand, George Bush with Laura did well too. They did it without book deals and golden handshakes.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 5 months ago

" His dad was class - "

No, his dad was a complete sleezeball.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 5 months ago

"On the other hand, George Bush with Laura did well too."

Actually, every business venture they entered into was a dismal failure until some white knight friend of daddy rode in and bailed him out.

And even his one supposed success, his career as a baseball executive, was a complete sham. He did absolutely nothing but front a campaign to get the taxpayers to build them a stadium. (nothing hypocritical about that, is there?)

As I stated above, he's certainly no idiot, but he's poster child for the old adage, "It ain't what you know, it's who you know."

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 5 months ago

He's certainly no Einstein. But having been born on third base, he was certainly smart enough to make it to home plate, especially with Daddy and his friends stealing signs for him all along the way.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 5 months ago

Don't get me wrong-- I'm not arguing that Bush is any sort of mental giant.

Let me quote Molly Ivins on George W from an interview on Democracy Now.------

AMY GOODMAN: Now we turn to Molly Ivins in her own words. In July 2004, she visited our firehouse studios. I asked her about President Bush and how she has known him since high school.

MOLLY IVINS: We have been slightly acquainted that long, and I must say—I’ve said a million times—I don’t think he’s mean, and I don’t think he’s stupid. He’s sure not the brightest porch light on the block. He’s pretty limited. But he’s very Texan. Unlike his daddy, who clearly is an upper-class elite Eastern WASP, almost a parody of that pattern. W is very Texas-identified. And you see—I see, when I look at him, some very distinct strengths of Texan culture. One is the religiosity, the public display of piety. Anti-intellectualism, very common in Texas. And it’s anti-intellectualism sort of based on the premise that intellectuals are a bunch of people who use long polysyllabic words and double-dome things to make other people feel inferior. In other words, it’s a form of anti-snobism. And machismo, very Texan. You know, macho man stuff. And the other thing, of course, that’s quite remarkable in Texas is provincialism. Provincialism, I think, is a universal characteristic. New Yorkers are just as provincial as anyone else. But in Texas, it tends to be particularly aggravated, and I think that all of that is true of Bush.

1983Hawk 3 years, 5 months ago

Yes, indeedy. How perceptive of you to note that Dubya and the missus "did well" financially. Made their money the old fashioned way - inherited it. Too bad the Clintons and Obamas couldn't have similarly been born on third base thinking they'd hit a triple.

1983Hawk 3 years, 5 months ago

"W made his own fortune."

ROFLMAO!

Dude, do you have the vaguest idea who his grandfather and father were and how Dubya was set for life with trust funds and the like the day he was born? (Not to mention later being set up in the oil industry thanks to his family connections.)

Kind of different life narrative when you compare Prescott Bush and GHW Bush with the paternal grandfathers and fathers of Clinton and Obama, dontcha think?

Mike Ford 3 years, 5 months ago

a dummy speaking in dummyland ro dummies with amnesia when it comes to the culpability of an idiot getting a pass from idiots.....how kansas.....how priceless...