Archive for Friday, June 3, 2011

FDA requests seizure of Wyldewood Cellars’ elderberry juice

June 3, 2011, 4:00 p.m. Updated June 3, 2011, 5:08 p.m.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration requested the seizure of an elderberry juice product distributed by Wyldewood Cellars, Inc., based in Peck, Kan.

The seizure request occurred after a complaint was filed in the U.S. District Court of Kansas. The complaint alleged that Wyldewood, which operates a store in Lawrence at 835 Mass., continued to make unproven claims about its product, including that the juice could treat or prevent AIDS, diabetes and the flu, according to a news release issued by the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

But there are no allegations that the product is harmful, and it can still be ingested.

John Brewer, president of Wyldewood, said the products that are still in stores can be sold, but the company is prohibited from distributing any more of the product until changes are made to labels and other sales material.

Comments

justanotherface 2 years, 10 months ago

Just another example of big government butting in where it doesn't belong. The European Union is already banning herbal supplements, trying to crackdown on natural health. The North American Union is in bed with the EU. Get ready for more outrageous events like this. Check out the Amish dairies in the northeast that are getting shutdown. I hope all you liberals and repulicans enjoy your big government...

Kyle Chandler 2 years, 10 months ago

Are they going to raid The Merc next????. That would be hilarious. Agents, remember to draw your guns, these hippies might wanna KISS YOU!! OH NOO!!!! FEAR!!!

tomatogrower 2 years, 10 months ago

We go there often to buy their delicious elderberry wine, and I have never seen any such claims. And I read labels a lot, just a wierd obsession I have. I think I've read that the berries boost your immune system, but they are a fruit. Oranges can boost your immune system.

bjfisher 2 years, 10 months ago

SHAME ON THE FDA!!!!! NOTHING MORE THAN MORE GOVERNMENT INTERFERENCE. I HAVE A LUNG DISEASE THAT HAS CAUSED ME NMEROUS PROBLEMS OVER THE YEARS. I HEARD ABOUT WYLDEWOOD CELLARS ELDERBERRY JUICE AND ITS HEALING BENEFITS. I BEGAN USING THEIR PRODUCT ABOUT ONE YEAR AGO. I WOULD NOT GO WITHOUT THIS PRODUCT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. IT HAS MADE MY BREATHING MUCH MUCH BETTER. I NO LONGER GET LUNG INFECTIONS ON A REGULAR BASIS AS I HAD IN THE PAST. MY VOICE IS NO LONGER COMPROMISED BECAUSE OF THE MEDICATION I HAVE TO TAKE DAILY FOR MY LUNG DISEASE. I AM GOING TO OFFER MY SUPPORT TO WYLDEWOOD IN HOPES OF KEEPING THEIR PRODUCT ON THE MARKET. I AM FIRST HAND PROOF THAT THEIR PRODUCTS DELIVER THE HEALTH BENEFIT THAT HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN ABOUT ELDERBERRY JUICE. THIS GOVERNMENT NEEDS TO STICK ITS NOSE OUT OF AREAS IT SHOULDN'T BE. JUST GOOGLE THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF THE ELDERBERRY AND THERE IS MORE INFORMATION AVAILABLE THAN ONE CAN DISCERN IN A DAY!!

aidamorin 2 years, 10 months ago

Very true that major brands do give out samples on their products, search online for "123 Get Samples" we just got ours today. You wont need CC.

TMSOL_Doc 2 years, 10 months ago

WOW, the FDA should worry about those who die from pharmaceuticals instead of going after some one who is selling food supplements to enhance health. FDA proves once again the are in bed with Pharma.

akt2 2 years, 10 months ago

I've heard about the healing powers of elderberries. I have read that tonics can help control high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Some of us are not on prescription meds and would prefer to stay that way. If people can find a natural alternative more power to them.

wheels 2 years, 10 months ago

It's a long way from 'improves immune function' to 'can be used to prevent or treat AIDS, diabetes, or the flu.'

SinoHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

FDA had no comments on allegations that their 'mother was a hamster'

Bailey Perkins 2 years, 10 months ago

That has nothing to do with the incident with Wyldewood. Working w/o a licenses is completely different.

Sigmund 2 years, 10 months ago

They got off easy. A southwest Missouri man who made about $200 selling rabbits was ordered to pay a $90,000 fine by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. I thank god every day for the Federal Government agencies and regulation! http://www.kansascity.com/2011/05/29/2912955/rabbit-seller-stunned-by-90000.html

unite2revolt 2 years, 10 months ago

Strange that this article doesn't mention they have a store in Lawrence. I went to their website and saw no claims of any kind that their products have any special properties. Seems like the company complied but not fast enough?

pagan_idolator 2 years, 10 months ago

I carry the berries in my shop and they smell like someone's stinky feet! Cant believe the wine tastes so good. I also love elderberry mead.

Bailey Perkins 2 years, 10 months ago

Wyldewood Cellars is NOT the only company selling elderberry products and either way, the USDA even points out that : 'All parts of the elderberry plant are considered to be a valuable healing plant in many folk medicine traditions (Hutchens 1991, Walker et al. 1993; Barrett et al. 1933; Clarke 1977). Elderberry flowers contain flavenoids and rutin, which are known to improve immune function, particularly in combination with vitamin “C.” The flowers also contain tannins, which account for its traditional use to reduce bleeding, diarrhea, and congestion.'(link below)

USDA and Elderberries: http://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/cs_sanic4.pdf

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 10 months ago

Oh no! Now we can't make elderberry wine! 'Elderberry Wine', performed by Elton John: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21NCH2...

And here's how to make it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMzdLI...