Archive for Friday, June 3, 2011

FDA requests seizure of Wyldewood Cellars’ elderberry juice

June 3, 2011, 4:00 p.m. Updated June 3, 2011, 5:08 p.m.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration requested the seizure of an elderberry juice product distributed by Wyldewood Cellars, Inc., based in Peck, Kan.

The seizure request occurred after a complaint was filed in the U.S. District Court of Kansas. The complaint alleged that Wyldewood, which operates a store in Lawrence at 835 Mass., continued to make unproven claims about its product, including that the juice could treat or prevent AIDS, diabetes and the flu, according to a news release issued by the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

But there are no allegations that the product is harmful, and it can still be ingested.

John Brewer, president of Wyldewood, said the products that are still in stores can be sold, but the company is prohibited from distributing any more of the product until changes are made to labels and other sales material.

Comments

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 6 months ago

Oh no! Now we can't make elderberry wine! 'Elderberry Wine', performed by Elton John: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21NCH2...

And here's how to make it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMzdLI...

Bailey Perkins 3 years, 6 months ago

Wyldewood Cellars is NOT the only company selling elderberry products and either way, the USDA even points out that : 'All parts of the elderberry plant are considered to be a valuable healing plant in many folk medicine traditions (Hutchens 1991, Walker et al. 1993; Barrett et al. 1933; Clarke 1977). Elderberry flowers contain flavenoids and rutin, which are known to improve immune function, particularly in combination with vitamin “C.” The flowers also contain tannins, which account for its traditional use to reduce bleeding, diarrhea, and congestion.'(link below)

USDA and Elderberries: http://plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/cs_sanic4.pdf

pagan_idolator 3 years, 6 months ago

I carry the berries in my shop and they smell like someone's stinky feet! Cant believe the wine tastes so good. I also love elderberry mead.

unite2revolt 3 years, 6 months ago

Strange that this article doesn't mention they have a store in Lawrence. I went to their website and saw no claims of any kind that their products have any special properties. Seems like the company complied but not fast enough?

shaunepec 3 years, 6 months ago

We just got it updated with the local store. Somehow, them having a store in Lawrence slipped my radar....

Shaun Hittle LJW Reporter

Sigmund 3 years, 6 months ago

They got off easy. A southwest Missouri man who made about $200 selling rabbits was ordered to pay a $90,000 fine by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. I thank god every day for the Federal Government agencies and regulation! http://www.kansascity.com/2011/05/29/2912955/rabbit-seller-stunned-by-90000.html

Mr_B9 3 years, 6 months ago

Sigmund (anonymous) says… " I thank god every day for the Federal Government agencies and regulation!" ..... ridiculous.....

Jimo 3 years, 6 months ago

Errrr....the guy wasn't fined for selling $200 worth of rabbits but because he defied the gov't, refused to get a license and kept selling the things. Maybe the bozo thought he was a "sovereign" person who just doesn't have to obey the law.

I'm not a big fan of putting non-violent offenders in prison at my expense either but there's always a few who won't learn any other way.

Bailey Perkins 3 years, 6 months ago

That has nothing to do with the incident with Wyldewood. Working w/o a licenses is completely different.

SinoHawk 3 years, 6 months ago

FDA had no comments on allegations that their 'mother was a hamster'

wheels 3 years, 6 months ago

It's a long way from 'improves immune function' to 'can be used to prevent or treat AIDS, diabetes, or the flu.'

akt2 3 years, 6 months ago

I've heard about the healing powers of elderberries. I have read that tonics can help control high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Some of us are not on prescription meds and would prefer to stay that way. If people can find a natural alternative more power to them.

TMSOL_Doc 3 years, 6 months ago

WOW, the FDA should worry about those who die from pharmaceuticals instead of going after some one who is selling food supplements to enhance health. FDA proves once again the are in bed with Pharma.

Jimo 3 years, 6 months ago

Really? The FDA should worry less about those who die from pharmaceuticals. Indeed, the FDA would rather let people die from disease than let someone guaranteed to expire take an experimental drug that hasn't been through their multi-year testing process.

tomatogrower 3 years, 6 months ago

We go there often to buy their delicious elderberry wine, and I have never seen any such claims. And I read labels a lot, just a wierd obsession I have. I think I've read that the berries boost your immune system, but they are a fruit. Oranges can boost your immune system.

Kyle Chandler 3 years, 6 months ago

Are they going to raid The Merc next????. That would be hilarious. Agents, remember to draw your guns, these hippies might wanna KISS YOU!! OH NOO!!!! FEAR!!!