Archive for Thursday, July 28, 2011

Bank starts foreclosure proceedings against Douglas County Sheriff Ken McGovern’s home

July 28, 2011

An attorney for U.S. Bank last Friday filed a civil suit seeking a mortgage foreclosure on the west Lawrence home of Douglas County Sheriff Ken McGovern, according to Douglas County District Court records.

The suit alleges McGovern and his wife, Rebecca F. McGovern, the owners of 4029 Harvard Road, are in default and have failed since Feb. 1 to make payments due under the 2009 note and mortgage. The McGoverns owe $161,726 with interest, according to the suit. A legal notice of the suit appeared in Thursday’s Journal-World.

“Since my wife and I had been in discussion for some time to resolve this situation, we were surprised the bank took this legal step without informing us,” McGovern said. “Being a personal financial matter, I won’t go into much detail other than to say my wife owns a small business, and the family finances are affected by her small business.”

Rebecca McGovern owns a Lawrence salon and spa.

“As is the case with many small businesses in these economic times, her business is struggling, which impacts our personal finances,” he said. “Because of our cooperative discussions with the bank, we are confident this legal action will be dismissed.”

Assistant Douglas County Administrator Sarah Plinsky said McGovern’s current salary is $118,518.40. McGovern, a longtime sheriff’s officer who has served in virtually every facet of the department since 1982, was elected without opposition in 2004, and he won a second term in 2008, also as an uncontested candidate.

According to county records, the sheriff office’s proposed budget for 2012 is about $10.3 million. County officials estimate the sheriff’s 2011 budget will come in $276,025 less than the $10.48 million initially budgeted. Plinsky said McGovern’s office also came in under its allocated budget in 2006, 2008, 2009 and 2010.

The sheriff’s office also oversees the sale process of foreclosed properties if a mortgage foreclosure reaches that point.

McGovern said that in the last three years his office, due to the financial crisis, has seen a major increase in the number of sheriff’s sales scheduled: 336 in 2010 compared with 151 in 2007. Last year 110 property owners were able to resolve their situations before they ended in a sale, he said.

“My own situation has brought me to a deeper personal understanding of the effect the current economic downturn has had on the citizens of Douglas County,” he said. “I and my staff will continue to effectively and efficiently serve the people of Douglas County and in doing so be sensitive to their needs.”

Comments

wyattearp2 2 years, 8 months ago

uglyrumor 2 years, 8 months ago

People in law enforcement are generally low life pukes, who get off on ruining other people's days, otherwise they could not enforce half of the things that they do. How do most of them sleep at night? Perfect example of reaping what you sow.

Carol Bowen 2 years, 8 months ago

I really do not want to know this. Give the family some privacy!

Charles L Bloss Jr 2 years, 8 months ago

It really disturbs me when a person's job, no matter what it is, is used to put that person down. That is not being fair. There are always people who do not like cops, but using the Sheriff's elected position to make comments against him in a matter which is personal is wrong. I have never met the Sheriff, I wrote him once and never received an answer. He is a busy guy, so I forgot it. If he was a plumber, carpenter, teacher or any other profession, there would not be anywhere near as many negative comments about his personal financial business. In fact I don't think it is newsworthy either. Thank you, Lynn

northtowngrl 2 years, 8 months ago

Hmm. Maybe its time to for Tabitha to come in and do a salon makeover to save the business and the house. Hey it could happen!

lawslady 2 years, 8 months ago

Anyone who has ever met or knows our sheriff likes him, unless of course you are breaking the law. He's a good guy and we are lucky to have him as our sheriff. That kind of job typically doesn't attract someone with his personality. Anyone who casts stones at him for being in finanicial trouble should be careful; all too soon it may be you (if it isn't already). This economy is about to tank, in my opinion, in ways no one alive has ever seen. Get ready to start living with your extended family, digging for water wells, learning to hunt/trap/fish, weave and sew your clothing, and grow your own food.

whats_going_on 2 years, 8 months ago

Half of that money probably goes into upkeeping that salon. It is ridiculously "fancy" and there is just stuff everywhere...decorations, designer items, etc. It's like Nell Hills West hits a NYC salon. And of course it isn't doing well, not everyone can afford 50 bucks for a bang trim.

whats_going_on 2 years, 8 months ago

oneeye_wilbur 2 years, 8 months ago

I truly wish Dolph or his minions would direct the best reporter (??) at the Journal World to do an in depth story of the not for profit public/private partnership that developed and still is of East Hills business park. Who are the players? Who are the banks? Who were the realtors involved? Who were the attorneys involved? Who were the contractors? Did anyone make money? We know the taxpayers have not since they bought the farm. And now the county is about to pull another buyout again of the "farm".

Now that would make for one fine first page story!

ljwhirled 2 years, 8 months ago

Hey, sometimes getting upside down on the mortgage is a good decision. For example, if you have a medical bill that needs to be paid right now, or if you have IRS issues that are about to result in a tax lien.

Without the details this is just speculation. The economy sucks, he isn't in bankruptcy. Give them the benefit of the doubt.

shortone 2 years, 8 months ago

This statement implies the Sheriff was not sensitive to people in these situations before besides it sounding like someone generated this statement for him! Great, it takes him close to losing his home to be more sensitive and to direct his staff to be more sensitive?

The Sheriff is in charge of a budget, if you don't make good decisions with your own personal finances why should we allow him to take charge of the county's budget?

tanaumaga 2 years, 8 months ago

I don't think the sheriff's loan issues and Brady Morningstar's drunk driving are comparable. Bradys lucky he didn't rap himself around a pole. Who knows though, he might like pole.

Stacy Napier 2 years, 8 months ago

You are reading about it because he is an elected official. Given he is in charge of Law Enforcement for the county ones personal conduct is relevant to the public. If he was arrested for DUI you would all think that is relevant, even though hundreds get DUI's in the county. And I am sure you would all be calling for his head.

If someone signed a contract to pay a loan with you would you be upset or just say oh well. That is essentially what he did. He agreed to pay x dollars a month and hasn't. I for one have a problem with someone who doesn't keep their word. If the business is that bad off maybe it should have been sold so that you could meet your contract obligations.

droppinplates 2 years, 8 months ago

The McGoverns are not the only ones dealing with foreclosure in Lawrence. So, can I expect to read about another family's personal finances soon? That's not going to happen, and while I understand the LJW feeling it's prudent because the guy's a public official, it's still in bad taste.

This reminds me of the constant, daily articles on Brady Morningstar's DUI a few years ago. The lesson here is this: If you are a well known figure in Lawrence, and you mess up to any degree, the LJW will out you and relentlessly pursue your public destruction through their newspaper.

felixiscariot 2 years, 9 months ago

Sounds like they need to research RESPA letters. It's worked before, it may be the solution to their problem.

mutualrespect37 2 years, 9 months ago

This story embarrasses me! Such a violation of decent social boundaries. The sheriff is hardly the first person I would support or feel empathy for either, but this story is just tacky.

Clevercowgirl 2 years, 9 months ago

Right now, banks are calling notes, even if they are being paid regularly. It is all about complying with the lending guidlines. Today, you have to make more money to qualify for a loan than even 2 years ago. Also, commercial loans are being called right and left. Let's hope that their lender(s) have lost the loan documents. That seems to be the only way to stop a foreclosure presently.

As a side note, both husband and wife are probably on the Salon loan(s). So they are both in hot water. No reason to blame the Missus.

Pywacket 2 years, 9 months ago

Very well said, Vermont. There just doesn't seem to be any good reason to have singled them out for such intense scrutiny. Looks like a very bad editorial decision, to me.

InspectorJo 2 years, 9 months ago

Well put Vermont! These are hard times for everyone, a sheriff, a waitress, ss receipient, the list goes on and on. My mama always said, "if you have nothing good to say, you best keep your damn mouth shut!" God, do I love and miss my mama!

I send positive thoughts and prayers out to the McGovern's and the many hundred thousand of other families dealing with these issues at this time too.

Ken and Rebecca, thank you for just happening to come up on the roll over accident a few years back and thank you for providing love, patients, caring and calmness to that group of 5 teenage kids. I thank my blessing everyday that it was the two of you that were there to comfort my daughter when I was not there. God had a major hand in the events that night, everyone still remembers the love and caring that you two offered. May this love and caring return to your family ten fold.

God Bless! Thank YOU!!!!!

vermont 2 years, 9 months ago

My apologies for beating a dead horse here but this story is just plain inappropriate. This issue is nobody's business but the family involved. We all have strikes and gutters, ups and downs and the LJW needs to do a better job of respecting the privacy of the citizens of Lawrence and it's readership. I and several friends and acquaintances that have, on several occasions, been disappointed with print that involves these sorts of personal issues. We can print legal issues in a matter of fact way as the law requires but this is blatant exploitation of people who have fallen on hard times.

Bud Stagg 2 years, 9 months ago

Idiots, It's not about mortgage payments, it's about the business payments. They probably used the house as collateral for the business loan. She's probably not making those loan payments.

sherbert 2 years, 9 months ago

Anyone who owns a small business now knows exactly what they're going through. There but for the grace of God go I.

akt2 2 years, 9 months ago

Arm chair financialists and another slow news day....

oneeye_wilbur 2 years, 9 months ago

How much will a condo sell for at the Sheriff's sale for Bella Sera? wilbur would like to move west . $50,000?

skinny 2 years, 9 months ago

Ya, this is pretty wild and typical of the LJWorld. They won't print the arrest log or the court logs like every other paper in Kansas but they'll print this crap. Makes you wonder!

blue73harley 2 years, 9 months ago

Gotta say I agree with the other posters that it is hard to believe someone making $118K can't make the house payments on a $161K note. Time to cut the losses on the wifey's business if ya can't pay your home mortgage. Two could live quite comfortably on his salary alone.

teller 2 years, 9 months ago

I have to commend him for not being selfish and thinking about how others in the community have been effected by the economy also. Nice of him to recognize the trials ALL of us face during these times and how all situations are a reminder for us ALL to be sensitive to everyone's needs.

rockchalk9erschiefshawk 2 years, 9 months ago

This issue was posted because ol' Dolph owns this rag. Seems that whenever there is a money issue regarding somone, or something in Lawrence, be it how much you have, how much you are going to get, how you got it, he has to know about it, and report it. I mean hell, I thought Gladys Kravitz died years ago, but I was wrong, she is still snooping. ABNER!!!! And another thing, the Sheriffs Office budget doesn't have a thing to do with his personal matter, not ONE DADGUM THING. (borrowed the dadgum from ol' Roy) This is why a good number of people refer to the paper as " The Urinal World". Keeps me regular :-)

kansasdaughter 2 years, 9 months ago

"Online Douglas County District Court records show three previous civil suits filed by Chase Mortgage Co. against Ken and Rebecca McGovern in 1999, 2000 and 2001 — before he was elected sheriff — but all were dismissed within a month."

Refi in 2009, not payed since February...three past foreclosure suits...Chase is done.

lunacydetector 2 years, 9 months ago

true housing values have declined 30%+ in lawrence. if someone has an adjustable rate mortgage like a 5/1 arm, the bank will want a minimum of 20% down. if someone paid $230k for a house that is now only worth $160k they'd need $32,000 just to refi. time to walk away. how many years will it take to recoup $70k in lost equity and initial down payment plus an additional $32k when you lost your ass on already? time to walk away people.

Keith Richards 2 years, 9 months ago

160k mortage means a monthly payment of about $1000 including taxes and insurance, or 12k a year. If he can't afford that on a 118k salary that is embarassing.

irvan moore 2 years, 9 months ago

i think he's a pretty darn good sheriff and that is about the extent of my interest, it will probably straighten itself out and there is no reason to embarass him and his family.

catchmeifucan 2 years, 9 months ago

Ok. This guy has no education which would mean no student loan debt to pay. He makes roughly 10k a month. The mortgage on that house with decent credit would be about $800 a month with a decent interest rate. Is he telling us that in the past nearly six months he could not make a payment representing 8% of his take home pay? Even if his wife has a salon that is going under, break the lease. Pay the penalty and close shop. I think that there is something much worse going on seeing how this is the 4th time a lending institution has taken legal action against him? How could he personally not have an excellent credit score? No debt and same job for the past 29 years??

This man knows that he lives in a glass house and this a public disgrace. How can we trust a man who cant manage his personal finances on a 10k per month salary to be the top law enforcement officer in Douglas County, next to Charles Branson who actually is technically the top law enforcement official in Douglas County.

His judgment needs to be critiqued. I am sure this will become a serious issue when he runs for re-election in 2012. I know I will be the first to throw him under the bus for his personal finances and lack of pursuing a professional education to further his ability to lead this county.

bevy 2 years, 9 months ago

I was wondering what the paragraphs about the amounts in the budget for the Sheriff's office have to do with the story? This is happening to all kinds of people all over the nation. Those who are snarky and judgemental should try walking a mile or two in the Sheriff's boots. Good luck to his family.

teller 2 years, 9 months ago

I've never understood why things like this appear in the paper in the first place. Since it is, I feel it should have been noted like all the other notices, but feel in no way it should have been highlighted as a separate article. Because, really, all other notices do not have their own story. With the economic times being so hard right now, I don't see how any of us have a place to say something negative about the next, seeing as though most of us are in the same predicament, living paycheck to paycheck just to make ends meet. I can't understand why we can't be a more supportive community. Worry about your own finances.

Amy Heeter 2 years, 9 months ago

I don't Think this needed to be printed as a headline. Sorry to hear ken is having problems though.

gvnobas 2 years, 9 months ago

Journal World - why is this so newsworthy? This is happening to millions around the country. Is this supposed to be more interesting because he's a public official? Well, it's not. Crime is going up in Douglas County. McGovern's agency happens to be a law enforcement agency. What would be more interesting is an article about how McGovern is addressing rising crime, but no, instead we get something that sounds like small town gossip. Can you believe it? The sheriff! For God's sake, try becoming a real newspaper

LawrenceRez 2 years, 9 months ago

$118,000 salary and they can't make payments on a mortgage of $161,726. All I can say is odd... His salary for one year represents 72.9% of the total outstanding mortgage.

Amy Albright 2 years, 9 months ago

Sounds like a nice man who will have an even deeper ability to empathize with the people he serves notices to. It's hard times right now, and I can't believe people are being snarky and judgmental about something many of us are likely a few paychecks away from. Best of luck to the McGoverns.

Jean Robart 2 years, 9 months ago

wish I had the chance to try and live on $118,000 a year

boltzmann 2 years, 9 months ago

Does he have to then show up and evict himself?

Belinda Rehmer 2 years, 9 months ago

Very disappointing this is even a story. Not my business nor yours. Just sayin

Steve Jacob 2 years, 9 months ago

I would normally say someones home being foreclosed is none of our business, but he is an elected official. Running your own business is tough in this economy, sometime you have to bail before things get really bad. Sometimes you can dig yourself out of a hole, sometimes the hole gets deeper.

rooster 2 years, 9 months ago

I think you meant Sizzors on Lawrence and 6th. Unless her business is registered in the state of kansas as Lawrence salon and spa, in which case no one would ever know.

faceit 2 years, 9 months ago

Spending habits certainly affect one's finances. Making room additions, and buying more household & landscaping items than all of ones neighbors might be deemed irresponsible spending in light of one's economic situation. It's been interesting to watch and have wandered out loud if someone might have won the lottery.

ddhawkfan 2 years, 9 months ago

... Seriously??? Guess its all a matter of who you are... Pretty sure if it was anyone else that isn't law enforcement we would be looking for a new place to live...

Dolph4 2 years, 9 months ago

Way to toss yer wife under the bus on this one, Kenny boy. Glad we have a guy willing to take responsibility in charge of our Sheriff's Department.