Archive for Monday, July 25, 2011

Former Lawrence police Chief Ron Olin to leave $115,000 job at Kansas Athletics

Lawrence police chief Ron Olin, center, smiles as he is greeted by friends and co-workers, including retired Lawrence Police Capt. Dan Affalter, left, during Olin’s retirement party August 26, 2010, at Maceli’s.

July 25, 2011, 2:27 p.m. Updated July 25, 2011, 3:55 p.m.

Kansas Athletics: Coaches and administrators contracts and salaries

KUsports.com and the Lawrence Journal-World requested all of the contracts handed out to employees of Kansas Athletics before Sheahon Zenger was named athletic director in January of 2011.

Former Lawrence police chief Ron Olin has resigned his position as Kansas Athletics Inc. director of security and internal controls effective at the end of this month, according to an athletics department news release.

“I was asked to evaluate Kansas Athletics’ internal controls, policies and procedures, to identify weaknesses and suggest improvements,” Olin said in the statement, released Monday afternoon. “Since day one, I’ve been trying to work myself out of a job. I’ve done what I was asked to do and now, as a new school year is about to begin, I think it’s the perfect time to step aside and offer my services as a consultant.”

Olin's salary at Kansas Athletics was $115,000 a year.

Former athletics director Lew Perkins hired Olin last September for the new position immediately upon Olin’s retirement as police chief, an office he held in Lawrence since 1987. Perkins ended up leaving his post 11 days later — a year earlier than he planned — and Olin continued to work for the department under new athletics director Sheahon Zenger, who came to KU in February from Illinois State University.

“Ron Olin is a widely respected expert in his field,” Zenger said. “Kansas Athletics benefited from his service over the course of this past year. We wish him well in his future endeavors and appreciate his on-going commitment to Kansas Athletics and the Lawrence community.”

During an interview last week with the Journal-World prior to Monday’s announcement, Zenger indicated that he was still reviewing Olin’s position within the department.

“That’s a position that’s somewhat unique to an athletic department. He and I are talking about what that role can or may be,” Zenger said.

Olin has taught courses at KU since 1975 and also taught criminal justice at Haskell Indian Nations University. He also teaches classes to law enforcement officers on terrorism and counter-terrorism. He had served as Lawrence police officer from 1971 to 2010.

Associate Athletics Director Jim Marchiony said Monday the department currently had no plans to replace Olin as director of security with a full-time position. But he said Zenger and Olin have talked about Olin serving as a consultant on an as-needed basis.

Comments

Robert Rauktis 3 years, 4 months ago

"Associate Athletics Director Jim Marchiony"

Why hasn't this toady been fired? THAT would save some money.

begin60 3 years, 4 months ago

Another freaking conflict-of-interest hire. Probably this is how KU officials manage to hide their illegal practices--by acting in concert with the local criminal injustice system.

Scott Morgan 3 years, 4 months ago

These type dudes, x teachers, x beat cops retire in luxury. Public servants. Yea right. I firmly believe this strange practice of paying certain historically former bureaucrat pay level jobs at bank presidents salaries have ruined our economy.

Remember you and I pay those salaries. These are not some inventor, or businessman making money hand over head adding to our economy. These guys are why budgets are out of whack.

Can you imagine a well run business putting an x cop on salary at nearly 150k with benefits? Can you imagine explaining he had nothing to do?

There is no shortage of school administration applicants, what is there a half million cops waiting in line for a job like Olins. Teaching on top of this. I wonder what a dedicated prof at KU feels like reading about cousin Ron making twice as much as he or she?

Joel Hood 3 years, 4 months ago

Ummmm..... The mean salary for a KU professor is well over $57.5 K - more like low 6-figures.

number1jayhawker 3 years, 4 months ago

You might want to retract some of your statement about paying Olin's salary while working for the KU Athletic Dept. KU Athletics is seperate from the university and funds the salaries of those working for Zenger. I do believe though that the head coaches have a small portion of their salary paid by the university.

Joe Hyde 3 years, 4 months ago

You have to respect Mr. Olin for stepping away from such a close-to-home job that paid him $115K p/y. I bet no retired city employee has ever done such a thing; maybe no private sector retiree, either.

I'm guessing the prospect of job boredom played a part in his decision. If you're someone who handles millions of dollars annually, suddenly having a former police chief for a co-worker can make life a little nerve racking. (And that's good.) But I'm sure Mr. Olin appreciates that after the Ticket Office thieves got convicted and sentenced to the federal slam all the other Athletic Department workers who survived that investigation will have Pucker Factors up around 9.97 for the next 20 years whether he's around to watch them or not.

Brent Fry 3 years, 4 months ago

You really believe he voluntarily stepped away? I know that's how it was reported, but I would almost guarantee he was told his position was no longer necessary.

Keith 3 years, 4 months ago

That's how I read the AD's statement too.

Jayson Hawk 3 years, 4 months ago

The AD grew significantly under Perkins, some of those positions were needed, but several were not. I hope this is a result of Zenger getting rid of positions that aren't necessary.

Kontum1972 3 years, 4 months ago

are they really 'any honest people' out there anymore...?

reminds me of the warren zevon song...lawyers, guns, and money...!

Kontum1972 3 years, 4 months ago

Dear aliens in space....please come use your death ray.......

greenworld 3 years, 4 months ago

sounds kind of like a quick payck as in ill milk the university of the 115k and then take the money and run. funny how Perkins made this all happen...huh!!! Makes you wonder, sounds pretty political if you would.

irvan moore 3 years, 4 months ago

hmmmmmm, maybe the real story will come out someday, was there somebody else on that grassy knoll at KU?

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 years, 4 months ago

The departure of Ron Olin from KU will definately improve the smell in the athletics department. This guy is no saint, he is a cover up artist, a con man and should have been fired years ago by clueless Lawrence City Commissioners and maxi-dullard Core-less. I have documented,official reports proof of misconduct by Lawrence police officers, and Olin told me my "cocerns were unfounded". His "internal investigations unit" is a fraud, fantasy, and non-entity. The foxes guarding the hen house and covering the butt of the incompetant police chief. Ron Olin deserves no respect either from the community that has been screwed by this oaf or the university that pulled him in like some sort of messiah in their cesspool of athletic affairs. Good by, good ridance and don't let the door hit you in the butt as you crawl out of the swamp.