Archive for Friday, July 22, 2011

Town Talk: Olive Garden may not be done on South Iowa; LED lighting place in downtown; commercial nursery looking to expand near Baldwin Junction

July 22, 2011

Subscribe to the Town Talk email edition

Subscribe to the email edition of Town Talk and we'll deliver you the latest city news and notes every weekday at noon.

News and notes from around town:

• Perhaps just like the restaurant’s breadsticks, you get more than one chance at landing an Olive Garden in Lawrence. Several sources at City Hall have told me that officials with the development group at 27th and Iowa have indicated they’ll likely file a new plan for a project that would include an Olive Garden restaurant.

The restaurant would be on the same site — the northeast corner of the intersection — as previously proposed. That previous proposal created quite a bit of controversy because it was asking for a tax rebate to help the finances of the development. The sources I talked with all said the new plan is not expected to ask for any such city incentives. Instead, there was some talk that the development group was exploring a federal tax credit program that could be of assistance. Not sure what that tax credit would be, and the sources weren’t clear on that point either. So, take that piece of information for what you want. I haven’t yet seen an official site plan filed at the Lawrence-Douglas County Planning office, but I’ll be keeping my eyes out for it. The sources I talked to weren’t particularly surprised by this latest development. They sensed all along that Olive Garden had a strong interest in the Lawrence market.

I would think an Olive Garden project that doesn’t seek any city incentives would clear City Hall without much problem. The site already has much of the zoning it needs. The major portions of the property previously were a pizza place and a Chinese buffet. (Two restaurants. Not a combination pizza/Chinese joint. Ah, to dream the impossible dream.) I haven’t yet caught up with a representative for the development group. If I hear anything from that end, I’ll let you know.

• As Lawrence and Manhattan battle to win a $100,000 contest to see which community can do the best job of saving electricity, here’s a business that we ought to get extra points for. Downtown Lawrence now is home to a company that specializes in LED lighting. The LED Source has opened up in office space at 10 E. Ninth Street. Adam Ritchie, owner of the local franchise, said Lawrence stuck out to him as a market that could use a store like his.

“This is the type of place to have this type of business,” Ritchie said. “It is a green friendly and an aware type of place, which is important because there have been a lot of mis-education with LED lighting.”

Ritchie said many people confuse LED lighting with compact fluorescent bulbs and some of the drawbacks that come with CFLs. Both are longer lasting and use less energy than traditional bulbs, but LEDs don’t have some of the slow warm up issues and other drawbacks.

But they do cost a lot more than a traditional light bulb. An LED bulb may cost you around $60. But prices are coming down as the bulbs become more mainstream, and Ritchie said part of his job is to educate people how the bulbs eventually pay for themselves.

He says a typical 50-watt Halogen light bulb will last about 2,500 hours. To get the same amount of light, you could use a 9-watt LED that would last about 40,000 hours. Ritchie estimates the energy and maintenance savings (hey, if you’re a business you’ve got to pay somebody to change it, or perhaps change many of them) equates to about $20 per year.

Ritchie’s business works with both homeowners and businesses, but he said he expects a lot of his sales to come from the commercial market because the paybacks are often quicker.

“But if you have a house with a lot of landscape lighting, they pay off quickly in those situations too,” he said.

If we really wanted to gain extra points in this competition ( and we do, since the winner receives a $100,000 grant) we would point out as I have previously reported that Lawrence also is home to an LED research and manufacturing firm at the bioscience and technology incubator on KU’s West Campus. They ought to just send the $100,000 now.

• The old Baldwin Junction intersection soon may be growing some new jobs. Lawrence-Douglas County planners at their meeting on Monday will consider a request to allow a commercial greenhouse to expand just south of the intersection where the old Highway 59 intersects with U.S. Highway 56. Applied Ecological Services has plans to take over an existing greenhouse operation at 1271 N. 222 Road and add about 20,000 square feet of space to the operations in the near term and perhaps up to 60,000 square feet by 2025.

Based on the company’s Web site, the firm provides all sort of consulting and design services for things such as green roofs, rain gardens, prairie and savanna restoration, streambank protection, wetland restoration and a host of other topics. According to the materials provided to planners, the Baldwin site would focus on producing plants needed for their projects.

But the company asking for approval to add a small retail nursery business at the site. That part of the business, though, is not expected to be developed until after 2015. The application before planners also would clear the way for the property to house multiple employees. Phase one of the development, expected to occur before 2015, would allow 20 employees. Phase III of the project, expected to occur before 2025, would allow up to 40 employees.

The company is not new to the area. Its Web site currently lists an office in Oskaloosa (it is headquarters are out of Wisconsin.) The company several years ago had an office in Eudora along Kansas Highway 10.

The Lawrence-Douglas County Planning Commission will consider approving a conditional-use permit for the project at its 6:30 p.m. meeting on Monday at Lawrence City Hall.

consumer1 4 years, 4 months ago

Chad, I always enjoy the way you combine stories, and also your writing style.

LogicMan 4 years, 4 months ago

Olive Garden: Great news! Build it soon, and we will come often. Also squeeze a Red Lobster on the site?

Thinking_Out_Loud 4 years, 4 months ago

I would not patronize either an Olive Garden or a Red Lobster much at all. I find the food each of them serves overprocessed and insipid. There are three restaurants in Lawrence with better Italian food, IMO, than OG, and if I'm going to eat seafood in Lawrence I prefer Angler's to RL.

Irenaku 4 years, 4 months ago

who uses the word "insipid" anymore?? hehe. OG salad and RL cheddar biscuits are the BOMB! :P

MyName 4 years, 4 months ago

I do! Also, I find that meatloaf to be shallow and pedantic.

Hmm yes... shallow and pedantic.

Thinking_Out_Loud 4 years, 4 months ago

Winston Churchill is supposed to have retorted, in response to a stern note he received to the effect that it is inappropriate to end a sentence with a preposition:

"This is the sort of arrant pedantry up with which I will not put!"

Sadly, the story is apocryphal.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 4 months ago

Thinking_Out_Loud, that reminds me of another quote attributed to WC:

“Madam, you are ugly. In the morning, I shall be sober.”

Thinking_Out_Loud 4 years, 4 months ago

I find OG salad overdressed. I'll concede the point on the RL Cheddary Bay Biscuits, though.

And, like MyName, ~I~ use the word "insipid" when it is appropriate. I'm sorry if you find my word choice banal or turgid.

Tim Quest 4 years, 4 months ago

Making fun of someone for use of "insipid" and ending with "the BOMB" is, incidentally, is why the word "insipid" was invented.

luv2raft 4 years, 4 months ago

If I want salad mix from a bag and generic vinagrette dressing, I can get it cheaper at Dillon's.

I heart Red Lobster's biscuits, though. Not sure what makes those things so good but it's probably illegal. :)

Willyum 4 years, 4 months ago

sadly i think OG has much better american italian food than any of the local american italian restaurants in town. my opinion.

Scott Morgan 4 years, 4 months ago

Totally agree, without naming names I heard another awful report of bad service and overcooked Lasagne just yesterday. Expensive too.

Italian cuisine wherever I've had over the years it is supposed to be fun and relatively inexpensive. NKC had Tollies, Jennies, and Cascones within a few miles when I was a pup. Great date joints, old Tollie would put on a table side show most nights.

OG is not in the league of Johnny Cascone's in O.P, but would make a fine quick alternative here.

Tammy Copp-Barta 4 years, 4 months ago

Isn't there one of those in Eudora???

Chad Lawhorn 4 years, 4 months ago

Chinese/Mexican in Eudora. Jasmin is the name of it.

Angela Longhurst 4 years, 4 months ago

I LOVE the Jasmin! Super cheap and they make really good tofu dishes.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 4 months ago

Yes, Jasmin is excellent. I really like it. But do NOT try to take old K-10, the two lane road north of K-10 to get there, because it's closed for the summer. You need to use K-10.

It is possible to get there going east on I-70, there is an exit you can take and get to Eudora. But you need to consult a map if you don't know the way.

fromlarryville 4 years, 4 months ago

I think the city should encourage and help more businesses come to lawrence! Most weekends my family members shop in Topeka or KC. This would help the local economy so the city would quit trying to get all it's tax money from homeowners property tax! And downtown would continue to thrive if the empty spots didnt have such outragous rents! Its downtown Lawrence not Rodeo Drive! Just a thought. Dont get me wrong I love Lawrence and would like to see it continue to thrive and grow, just need to keep some of the money in town!!

fromlarryville 4 years, 4 months ago

Yes they built all those, and that is where the people are going! Developers wanted to make a "Legends" type shopping inviroment here but the city did not approve it. They wanted to build a casino out by the lawrence airport, the city didnt approve it. With businesses like these we could have people coming to Lawrence and spending money for things and not just beer on KU game events.

jafs 4 years, 4 months ago

If your family members shopped in Lawrence, that would keep the money here.

Where are they going that they can't find somewhere in Lawrence? My wife and I do all of our shopping here.

jhawkinsf 4 years, 4 months ago

"Where are they going that they can't find somewhere in Lawrence"

Olive Garden.

Couldn't resist. Peace.

PennyBrite 4 years, 4 months ago

Trader Joe's in Leawood! and while we are there, Crate and Barrel, Home Goods, etc.

average 4 years, 4 months ago

"Most weekends my family members shop in Topeka or KC."

Daayuum. I shop (in the sense of beyond groceries) maybe 6-8 times a year. That's a whole darned lot of shopping. Congrats on doing your part for the economy, I guess.

fromlarryville 4 years, 4 months ago

There are more choices to buy stuff out of town, and with more choices goods and services are sometimes cheaper! Take for instance the latest excuse of the gas stations in Lawrence, they say other surrounding cities are cheaper because there "price wars" between sations due to the fact there are more to compete with. And there is only so much you can buy from Walmart and Target.

jafs 4 years, 4 months ago

Are you really unaware of all of the other stores in Lawrence?

Off the top of my head, we have Kohl's, JC Penney's, Sears, Old Navy, Weavers, etc.

xclusive85 4 years, 4 months ago

All of those stores you listed are watered down versions of stores that you see in larger cities, with the exception being Weavers.

jafs 4 years, 4 months ago

That's because we aren't a large city.

Small cities don't have all of the options of larger ones.

But, there are plenty of places to shop in Lawrence - my wife and I never need to go out of town.

KSChick1 4 years, 4 months ago

Atchison has a combination KFC/Taco Bell

puddleglum 4 years, 4 months ago

and there used to be a kfc/taco bell/pizza hut down in southern overland park. we called it the kentaco hut.

irvan moore 4 years, 4 months ago

remember when you could just buy plain old food? Red Lyon. Stricks, Tin Pan Alley, Drakes, i miss the good old days, heck, i even miss Furrs..

Thinking_Out_Loud 4 years, 4 months ago

I can't say I miss Furr's, but I do miss the others. Paradise Cafe in its hey-day. And for a brief but enjoyable period in the 90's a diner was on Mass street...BlueBird, if memory serves.

Thinking_Out_Loud 4 years, 4 months ago

Days like this make me miss the salad bar at Cornucopia.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 4 months ago

Yes, Cornucopia was one of my favorites! All you could eat, and it was great!

LogicMan 4 years, 4 months ago

Especially miss their liver and onions? :-(

John Reher 4 years, 4 months ago

Wow, Mrs. Winners. That brings back some memories. Really liked that place way back in the day. Too bad they didn't make it.

John Hamm 4 years, 4 months ago

Food was a little bland but that's why they make salt and pepper.

Kelly Johnson 4 years, 4 months ago

Mmmmm....I miss Tin Pan Alley's fries and chicken gravy.....

worden747 4 years, 4 months ago

Duck's seafood place on Mass. had the best fillet of sole, and a catfish meal that would feed 2 or more. I got engaged there.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 4 months ago

Tin Pan Alley and Paradise,,, yes indeed, for the good old days!

walkthehawk 4 years, 4 months ago

I miss Furr's, too! I thought I was the only one . . . besides Grandma.

MIke Mallory 4 years, 4 months ago

Stain, no one cares if you go to them or not. That is good for everyone else. At least we wont have to wait on you

cobaltblue 4 years, 4 months ago

I have said it before and I will say it again... POPEYES!

Thinking_Out_Loud 4 years, 4 months ago

I wouldn't eat there much, either. Although as fast food goes, their red beans and rice is the best in the fast food industry.

Scott Morgan 4 years, 4 months ago

ummmmm Popeyes, actually a chicken joint of any type besides KFC.

notanota 4 years, 4 months ago

I don't plan on eating at Olive Garden, because I'm not into the food, but I've got no beef with them if they're not getting city or state tax credits to build there.

jafs 4 years, 4 months ago

Even if they're using federal ones instead?

notanota 4 years, 4 months ago

It depends on the credit, but the idea is a lot less troubling to me.

jafs 4 years, 4 months ago

So it's not any sort of principled opposition to the idea of tax breaks.

It's just an "I don't want to pay for it" thing.

Gene Wallace 4 years, 4 months ago

They had better hurry with the Olive Garden. That corner is turning into a Used Car Lot and Baby Tree Emporium.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 4 months ago

Developers always trying to get into our tax dollar pockets. The less they donate to our cookie jars the more local taxpayers contribute to make up for the loss.

The answer is still no! Go to the bank and stand on your own two feet!

If the bank will not finance the project then it is a rotten deal for taxpayers!

Carol Bowen 4 years, 4 months ago

This approach is more palatable. Pun intended. The developer is still dependent on assistance. Hope it works out for them.

ljwhirled 4 years, 4 months ago

Doh! You mean they really didn't need the tax subsidy and could make the project work without it?

This kind of hurts the credibility of future developers who say "It won't happen without a subsidy!"

Just say no. If the project was a good project, it will move ahead. If not, it won't.

No more spending through the tax code. Spending should be spending. If it can't be justified as an expenditure, it shouldn't be on the table as a tax subsidy.

jafs 4 years, 4 months ago

I had the same thought.

But, the article mentions they're seeking a federal tax break for the project now.

We'll see if they go ahead with it if they don't get that one.

cummingshawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Golden Corral, yummy, Lawrence would get the sales tax revenue instead of Olathe, and lower my carbon emissions!!

LogicMan 4 years, 4 months ago

How about methane? It's a greenhouse gas too.

7texdude 4 years, 4 months ago

30,000 college kids would destroy the all-you-can-eat place in no time.

Scott Morgan 4 years, 4 months ago

Back in the day had an owner of an all you can eat walleye fish joint ask my roomies and I not to come back. The place was far away from campus.

All of us over 6 foot and hungry. Owner was a guy too, paid for our meal when we agreed.

***people were not so angry and more understanding it seems to me in those days.

Took the time to explain how his business ran. Leisure dining, a beer or two, salad bar, homemade breads, and potato pancakes were to keep customers away from moussing the wonderful golden brown gently fried fish.

I think one of us said, you have a salad bar. :)

Kris_H 4 years, 4 months ago

It's funny to me to read "my family goes from Lawrence to KC or Topeka to shop."

I live in Topeka and come to Lawrence to eat. :D

Not interested in the OG, we have one of those in Topeka I never go to. I would rejoice more at seeing some new, unique local place there, because those are what keep me coming to Lawrence.

Scott Morgan 4 years, 4 months ago