Archive for Friday, July 22, 2011

Lawrence man, 27, dies after truck runs over him in Kansas City, Mo.

July 22, 2011, 9:06 a.m. Updated July 22, 2011, 11:25 a.m.

— A 27-year-old Lawrence man died Thursday from injuries sustained when he tried to stop a moving truck from rolling down a hill near the Country Club Plaza in Kansas City, Mo.

Fredrick D. Simmons had been part of a crew unloading furniture from the back of a box-style moving truck Thursday afternoon when the truck’s parking brake “let go,” sending the vehicle rolling downhill, said Capt. Steve Young, a spokesman for the Kansas City Police Department.

The man, who worked for Lawrence-based Professional Moving & Storage, had run after the truck and tried to jump in, but was run over by one of its rear wheels. He died at an area hospital.

“We are sad about the loss of our employee after a tragic accident and pray for the family,” said Bobby Jones, the company’s president.

Jones said he could not comment about the circumstances of the accident because it remains under investigation.

Comments

Tammy Copp-Barta 3 years, 4 months ago

How very sad :( ... prayers to his family ...

footnote2 3 years, 4 months ago

His death is even sadder if the driver, when parking, had failed to put the truck in an appropriate gear in addition to using the hand brake, not to mention turning the front wheels toward the curb.

snook3200 3 years, 4 months ago

this comment is really needed right now..... you are completly out of line during a time like this. this family is going through a hard time losing their family member. if you cant say something nice. keep it to yourself. your a heartless jerk.

jafs 3 years, 4 months ago

Actually, if it helps people be more careful in the future and prevents future tragedies, it's a good thing to think about.

There are enough unpreventable tragedies in human life, without adding the ones that could have been prevented.

gprincess 3 years, 4 months ago

I am so sorry Bianca for your loss, I know that he is in heaven smiling down at you, Chris & your baby. I love you and pray you get this message.Bianca, you have come along way girl & this one will hurt for along while, I will pray for you, your like my 4th daughter! Vicki Gage

AsianSag 3 years, 4 months ago

gprincess - Do you know how I can get a hold of Bianca?

jhawkinsf 3 years, 4 months ago

I used this company and hired some of their movers a few months ago. They were nice guys, worked hard and were professional. Very sorry for the family and friends of this young man.

verity 3 years, 4 months ago

So sorry for the loss.

Sounds like the young man was being a hero, trying to keep the truck from hurting others.

nitro01girl 3 years, 4 months ago

Thanks for all the concerns, I grew up with him and his family. We were from a small town Okmulgee, Ok. We were all like family, just like you all were are very sadden for the lost of Fred. He was just a year under me and I known him since way back when. Please continue to pray for his family, love ones, and friends.... RIP FRED MISS BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

snook3200 3 years, 4 months ago

so sad. he was a great man and father and was only doing what he thought was best. my thoughts and prayers are with you bianca. we love you here in lawrence. god bless you and your children. stay strong and keep god in your heart. your man was heroic and he saved others. kelleyz.

mdrndgtl 3 years, 4 months ago

So did he stop the truck from entering the intersection?

sherbert 3 years, 4 months ago

That's what I was wondering. Did the truck roll on down the hill?

Steffie Sissoko 3 years, 4 months ago

What a tragedy! So sorry Bianca for your loss. May God Bless you and your family!

AsianSag 3 years, 4 months ago

Bianca, if you see this I just want you to know that you and your family are in my prayers. Fred was a great guy! Going to school with him was a blessing because I met a great person. He was always pleasant to be around. I know for a fact that this tragedy will effect all of us from Ottawa University.

On behalf of Calvin, Juan and Kevin, we would like to send out condolences to the family.

Fred, you will never be forgotten!

Could someone please inform me of the funeral arrangements?!

Deja Coffin 3 years, 4 months ago

Thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of this man. May you find strength and peace in the days ahead.