Archive for Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Section of ‘old’ Kansas Highway 10 reopens to traffic

July 19, 2011

A stretch of “old” Kansas Highway 10 is back in service, smoothing out a popular route connecting Lawrence and Eudora.

The three-mile section of Douglas County Route 442 — running from a half-mile east of Noria Road to the route’s bridge over the Wakarusa River, just west of Eudora — reopened Tuesday afternoon, after an overhaul that started June 20.

Perry-based Hamm Inc. finished the $1.1 million project two weeks early, having removed the top five inches of pavement and replacing it will a special layer of sealant, topped by another four inches of fresh asphalt.

The persistent bumps caused by shifting joints have been smoothed over by a surface designed to accommodate the road’s 4,000 daily vehicles for years to come.

“The original K-10 was built in the 1930s, and the concrete (base) is actually in decent shape,” said Terese Gorman, engineering division manager for Douglas County. “We think we’ll get another 20 to 25 years of life out of this roadway, with this treatment.

“That doesn’t mean we won’t touch it for 20 to 25 years, but we think we’ve improved the life significantly.”

Comments

gorilla10 3 years, 9 months ago

Speaking of K10 I was almost taken out by a crossover accident this morning driving east. The driver was okay but completely lost control and missed me by about 10 feet going through the median and accross the road into the ditch. I was in shock and barely got out of the way!! I wonder how many of these unreported incidents happen every year on K10. I am now in favor of putting up a barrier!!!!! sorry, had to tell someone.

John Hamm 3 years, 9 months ago

Okay - so all went well. What would have happened when the driver hit your mandated barrier and was bounced back into his traffic flow? There's two sides to this barrier issue.

notanota 3 years, 9 months ago

What would have happened with a cable barrier is that it would flex up to 12 feet and possibly allow the driver to stop without reentering traffic flow. That's what they're designed to do.

gorilla10 3 years, 9 months ago

I will take an accident going with traffic over a head on accident any day!!! If money wasn't an issue the barrier would have been put up by now just like on I-70!!! There is not two sides to this argument. It WILL be safer and thats a gauruntee.......

Go argue about sports or something because you people who argue against this are a waste of time.....

angelmom 3 years, 9 months ago

Happy things worked out for you, People please pay attention. That Phone call can wait. Save a life. Cable Barriers PLEASE!

kwilkins74 3 years, 9 months ago

It's about time!! What's taking so long. If it were in west Lawrence it would have been done long before now.

gorilla10 3 years, 9 months ago

You are right but it WILL help save GOOD drivers! I was paying attention and was lucky that nobody was around me or it could have been bad. A barrier would have kept me out of harms way. We understand that the barrier won't save everyone but it will definitely help out!!!!!! I felt just as you did before this incident today.

Paul N Zimmer 3 years, 9 months ago

yeah, I have used it so much over the years never thought I would miss it but I did. Glad its reopened! Now my clients can come see me so much easier from Lawrence! Come visit His Hands Clothing Closet (on facebook) and if you dont need free clothing, just stop in and visit me or you can donate as well! Hope to see you soon.